Muse - The 2nd Law

bacardimayne

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to them, it is supposed to be a sporting anthem so the lyrics I suppose have to be ideal for that.

I don't expect it to be on the album to be very honest but if it is, it'll be getting a lot of skips, not a lot of substance to it really and it's more a fart of a return than a bang.

• 1 month later...
Guest Broskirose

I don't mind it. :shrugs:

The second single Madness is getting released on the 20th. Album is coming out on October 1st.

Edited by Broskirose

First single was fine.

The second song was totally pointless. I finally accepted that they would be experimenting with dubstep, so I hoped they'd do something cool with it.

But that was just boring. I was waiting for something cool to happen, and then the song was over. It was like, a glorified 3 minute intro to the album or something.

Guest Broskirose

First single was fine.

The second song was totally pointless. I finally accepted that they would be experimenting with dubstep, so I hoped they'd do something cool with it.

But that was just boring. I was waiting for something cool to happen, and then the song was over. It was like, a glorified 3 minute intro to the album or something.

It's actually the second to last song on the album.

TheSecondLaw.jpg

1. Supremacy

2. Madness

3. Panic Station

4. Prelude

5. Survival

6. Follow Me

7. Animals

8. Explorers

9. Big Freeze

10. Save Me

11. Liquid State

12. The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

13. The 2nd Law: Isolated System

Save Me and Liquid State are going to be sung by the bassist.

Edited by Broskirose

The last album was just shit overall, I didn't even like Exogenesis, and now this...I don't hate dubstep, I enjoy some once in a while, but fuck me does it feel like Muse will do anything to make a buck these days. I miss the days of the first three albums (and even some of Black Holes & Revelations was really good).

Just because something isn't to your taste doesn't make it shit, OK? I haven't listened to Muse for very long (a couple of weeks actually :lol: Clearly I have been living under a rock) but Undisclosed Desires has gone straight into one of my top 10 favourite songs of all time. It was a revelation for me.

Collateral Damage and Exogenesis: Redemption are beautiful and on par with any Mozart sonata. I know that you probably don't spend a lot of time listening to Mozart and theres no problem with that (its not for everyone) but just because something isn't your thing doesn't make it shit. Creativity is about experimentation and you can't be all things to all people.

(Please tell me that you love Map of the Problematique? I have been addicted to that track since I heard it. It's amazing.) :)

The last album was just shit overall, I didn't even like Exogenesis, and now this...I don't hate dubstep, I enjoy some once in a while, but fuck me does it feel like Muse will do anything to make a buck these days. I miss the days of the first three albums (and even some of Black Holes & Revelations was really good).

Just because something isn't to your taste doesn't make it shit, OK? I haven't listened to Muse for very long (a couple of weeks actually :lol: Clearly I have been living under a rock) but Undisclosed Desires has gone straight into one of my top 10 favourite songs of all time. It was a revelation for me.

Collateral Damage and Exogenesis: Redemption are beautiful and on par with any Mozart sonata. I know that you probably don't spend a lot of time listening to Mozart and theres no problem with that (its not for everyone) but just because something isn't your thing doesn't make it shit. Creativity is about experimentation and you can't be all things to all people.

(Please tell me that you love Map of the Problematique? I have been addicted to that track since I heard it. It's amazing.) :)

Map of the Problematique is awesome.

To really understand how I feel about them, you have to know that a lot of my dislike of current Muse comes from seeing them live. The stage set up was fantastic, with lights and lasers, giant balloons being dumped on the crowd, giant lighted pillars that rose and retracted for them to play on, but everything about their actual performance felt phoned in, over-rehearsed, like Bellamy did that knee slide 10,000 times before and he's only doing it again because he has to. And that made me realize my main problem with The Resistance - it doesn't sound natural. Like they 'experimented' just to say they did it. I think they waste too much time trying to go for an 'epic' sound that they forget about the actual craft.

EDIT: Not a fan of the new track, either. It sounds like it's supposed to be an album intro or something, doesn't really go anywhere. And I swear Skrillex has used that same sound effect and rhythm before.

Edited by chevelle

Map of the Problematique is awesome.

To really understand how I feel about them, you have to know that a lot of my dislike of current Muse comes from seeing them live. The stage set up was fantastic, with lights and lasers, giant balloons being dumped on the crowd, giant lighted pillars that rose and retracted for them to play on, but everything about their actual performance felt phoned in, over-rehearsed, like Bellamy did that knee slide 10,000 times before and he's only doing it again because he has to. And that made me realize my main problem with The Resistance - it doesn't sound natural. Like they 'experimented' just to say they did it. I think they waste too much time trying to go for an 'epic' sound that they forget about the actual craft.

EDIT: Not a fan of the new track, either. It sounds like it's supposed to be an album intro or something, doesn't really go anywhere. And I swear Skrillex has used that same sound effect and rhythm before.

They're all valid points. I haven't seen them live (it would have been pretty convenient if they were doing a show in my city in the last 2 weeks, hey?!) I actually don't like going to live shows that much for that very reason. With a world tour you often get the feeling that the artist is going through the motions and I always wonder if the nice things they say inbetween songs are the same everywhere and hence not very sincere? My guess is yes.

I also don't like watching music videos because I often find the concept and the mood that the director chooses puts a stamp on it and sometimes it clashes with what the song means to me. It can kind of ruin a good song unnecessarily. I like the NIN song 'Closer' but the video was just fucking gross and creepy.

Never judge Muse until you listen to their whole album all the way through.

Although, I do miss the days of crunchy riffs from OoS. But oh well.

I do too. Bellamy is a pretty fucking decent guitarist and he doesn't utilize it enough these days.

True dat, although the ending of Survival features prolly the most shreddiest lick he's ever played.

Guest Broskirose

They just played Survival at the Olympics closing ceremony and it was pretty fucking horrible in all honesty.

Good performance of a shit song.

Good performance?

Matt mimed the guitar, and just made a joke of the whole thing with over the top knee slides and stage moves. And his voice was weak for most of the performance. The only good part was when he hit the high note at the end. Other than that, it was shit. Can't blame them. It's their first live performance in forever + the first time ever playing that song live (+ playing the Olympics has to be a shitload of pressure). Wasn't as bad as GNR at Rio, but it was pretty bad.