Muse - The 2nd Law

bacardimayne

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Madness. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Matt Bellamy and Chris Martin reckon its the best song he/Matt has ever written. I don't think I would agree with that but then I don't know the reasoning behind that.

What the fuck does Chris Martin have to do with this?

If he likes anything, it's automatic shit to me.

I like Madness. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Matt Bellamy and Chris Martin reckon its the best song he/Matt has ever written. I don't think I would agree with that but then I don't know the reasoning behind that.

What the fuck does Chris Martin have to do with this?

If he likes anything, it's automatic shit to me.

He doesn't have anything to do with it particularly. It was mentioned on the radio and since Coldplay are friends with Muse and have sold 50 million albums some people consider their opinion of interest. I dunno. :shrugs:

And theyre not automatic shit either, their early stuff was pretty good, just the last couple of albums have been going downhill a bit.

I think everything I've heard has been dire. The Resistance was pretty underwhelming to me as well, but I'll keep an open mind to the record when it comes out.

One of the best live bands I've seen, but it feels like their just fucking about with music right now, because their reputation is solidified and people are obviously going to buy the albums and buy the tickets anyway. If people expect to like something by a band they love, a lot of the time they will, regardless of whether if it was someone else they'd think it was a shit song. Because they try more to pick up things to like about it or feel they should.

And from someone who listens to pretty much anything, I can't stand dubstep. I get the 'have a few pints and it's AMAZING MAN!' argument. I don't mind a bit of house music sober but when I'm drunk I love it. So I can see how people who aren't into skrillex or whatever still go to see him live. But dubstep will grate on my nerves no matter what the situation. WubwubwubwubwubwubFUCKOFF.

Each to their own though.

• 1 month later...

Full album now streaming. http://muse.mu/news,listen-to-the-2nd-law-online_1411.htm?f=home

I'm halfway through and keep wondering is this the same band that wrote OoS and Absolution. Not a terrible record I think, but not near the same league of their past either.

Edited by Bumble's Bridge Pickup

Album started off strong, but quickly became shit by the middle and never recovered.

That's disappointing to hear. There are too many bands who once they are settled nicely in the nest of success start churning out albums for the cash, not the need to make great music. Coldplay is another example. Their last album is so average compared to their early material. Tori Amos is the same (although it pains me to say that because I love her so). What happened to integrity?

I'm five songs in and I'm not liking any of it yet.

EDIT: In the end the only songs I ended up liking at all were the two Chris sings at the end...Save Me and Liquid State. And I liked the dubstep bit in Follow Me, I think it was, at least it gave the song a little bit of life and energy. Overall though I'm not impressed, the whole thing feels really dull, a mess of synths and orchestras for the sake of synths and orchestras. I really fucking miss when Matt played guitar.

Edited by chevelle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly this musically might be Muse's best album. It's just so diverse and none of the songs sound the same + it's the only Muse album where someone other than Matt does lead vocals. The tracklisting is also pretty horrible. Supremacy into Madness makes zero sense. But on their own, out of the context of the album, each song is pretty good. Panic Station, Follow Me and Big Freeze are fantastic songs.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this album. It's not very 'rock' but I think it's got some great piano parts, some good melodies and a pity Supremacy wasn't used for Skyfall, it sounds more 'Bond' than Adele's song. My only criticism is that some of the lyrics, theme wise, are a bit repetitive from some of their previous albums. I suppose that's the Muse style though.