Does anybody else think that New GNR without Bucket was kind of like Maverick without Goose or Mickey without Minnie for Axl?

Randy Lahey

Guest Broskirose

Robin, just as weird as bucket just without the mask. The way he moved around on stage just looked awkward. Credit to him for the Song Better, and his outro solo on it, but DJ has been a far better replacement, Robin was always sloppy, I don't know if that's cause he was under the influence of anything. DJ makes less mistakes and if you ever seen the band live, this guy is the most crowd pleasing, he's worth his weight in gold when it comes to interaction.

I've seen DJ live 6 times. He's sloppy as hell and takes so many shortcuts it's embarassing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, just as weird as bucket just without the mask. The way he moved around on stage just looked awkward. Credit to him for the Song Better, and his outro solo on it, but DJ has been a far better replacement, Robin was always sloppy, I don't know if that's cause he was under the influence of anything. DJ makes less mistakes and if you ever seen the band live, this guy is the most crowd pleasing, he's worth his weight in gold when it comes to interaction.

I've seen DJ live 6 times. He's sloppy as hell and takes so many shortcuts it's embarassing.

Being sloppy live or taking shortcuts isn't exactly the best indicator of talent. Keith Richards, even at the peak of his powers, was sloppy live and took shortcuts and I doubt anyone would question his level of talent.

Totally disagree with this - Seen DJ **thinks** 3 times - Amazing player and any shortfalls live (no worse than Robin's imo) were made up with crowd interaction - the guys is pure class, love him.

A mate of mine who went to Newcastle said he wasnt even watching Axl much as he was mesmorised with DJ

Being sloppy live or taking shortcuts isn't exactly the best indicator of talent. Keith Richards, even at the peak of his powers, was sloppy live and took shortcuts and I doubt anyone would question his level of talent.

Another good point - Saw The Stones at Slane, Dublin in 2006 - KR was all over the place in terms of 'pure skill set' but you still left going "wow, that guy can play" go figure?

Totally disagree with this - Seen DJ **thinks** 3 times - Amazing player and any shortfalls live (no worse than Robin's imo) were made up with crowd interaction - the guys is pure class, love him.

A mate of mine who went to Newcastle said he wasnt even watching Axl much as he was mesmorised with DJ

Yes DJ is Axl's "boy wonder" and rightfully so. The guy has a lot of charisma, has a great sort of way he carries himself, has a real Rock N' Roll style and presence. He is amazing as a live guitarist. The real questions are: Does Axl want to write with him, or will this be another Gilby Clarke scenario where Axl just views him as a tour only guy? And if Axl does want to write with him, does DJ have the talent to write GN'R quality material?

to be honest he isn't as sloppy as Robin :P I don't like DJ's playing but he pulls off most of the solos (not all of them) and he playes cleaner then Robin.

not saying that Robin is bad but if you praise hin and condemn DJ for being sloppy it doesn't make that much of sense. :P

I basically agree Randy. DJ lacks chops and soul, Rich lacks pop, Ron lacks sexy and pop. None of them can write a genuinely good pop song. That crap DJ makes would've been laughed off the planet in the 90s or 80s when the standards were higher for rock music.

I hope they can find the right person, or bring the Bucket back. I mean really, if Bucket came out and did a spot at a GNR gig, say Nightrain, people would be bummed out like crazy when he left.

Edited by Eu4ic

Guest Broskirose

to be honest he isn't as sloppy as Robin :P I don't like DJ's playing but he pulls off most of the solos (not all of them) and he playes cleaner then Robin.

not saying that Robin is bad but if you praise hin and condemn DJ for being sloppy it doesn't make that much of sense. :P

Here is the difference.

When Robin plays you get the sense that he's really playing. He just enters his own world and it's just him and the music. Yeah he was "sloppy" but, not in the same way DJ is. He put his own spin on solos because that was just the natural way he plays. DJ changes solos and takes shortcuts because he simply isn't a capable enough player. There are many examples of this.

When you see DJ play, yeah he's a great showman. I've always given him that. But, it just comes off as very...forced and so non-spontaneous. It's like he just does the same thing every night.

With Robin he really just was a true artist. Like his interpretations of the solos or not, there really is no denying how genuine the guy is. It's amazing to see him perform and get lost in that world. With Robin you never knew if he was going to jump into the crowd, or put on an indian costum, etc. With Dj, everything is so...predictable.

His playing isn't just sloppy. It's lazy. It's downright bad at times.

Yeah he's a great showman, but that is the only thing he's got going for him. He simply is not capable of playing some solo's so he beats around them by changing them and making them easier to play, distracting the crowd with his antics while he fails a solo, or just giving half the solo to Bumblefoot. And even the solo's he can handle by himself always seem very choppy and like he's taking the easy way out. He never really plays a solo that sounds right to me.

I know I may sound biased but seriously, other than his showmanship I can't say a single good thing about him. He irks me in so many ways it isn't even possible to list them all.

Guest Gunns

Bucket and Axl were the best combination post old band, there will never be one like that again.

They complimented each other very well on Chinese D.

Dj has a hard task ahead of him

I saw Robin 3 times, and he just looked like on another planet, and he played as if he was too good for the crowd to acknowledge them.

End of the day, Robin messed up on a lot of the songs he was covering, because he was playing to a different guitar players style, perhaps DJ does this too, Robin made great songs like better, we will compare DJ's input to songs like better when the new album drops.

What I will say is DJ solo's are far better than Robins. Was anyone here at the Hammersmith Apollo Show? Fuck me, that was literally strangling a cat. And he done two solo's like that.

However, none of the guys are in the ideal position to compare to each other as like I said before, we're comparing them covering Slash's songs. Richard should have taken Robins spot, I really don't know why he didn't, he's been in the band longer and been playing the songs longer. He's more exciting to watch than DJ and Robin combined.

Edited by Axl_morris

Here is the difference.

When Robin plays you get the sense that he's really playing. He just enters his own world and it's just him and the music. Yeah he was "sloppy" but, not in the same way DJ is. He put his own spin on solos because that was just the natural way he plays. DJ changes solos and takes shortcuts because he simply isn't a capable enough player. There are many examples of this.

When you see DJ play, yeah he's a great showman. I've always given him that. But, it just comes off as very...forced and so non-spontaneous. It's like he just does the same thing every night.

With Robin he really just was a true artist. Like his interpretations of the solos or not, there really is no denying how genuine the guy is. It's amazing to see him perform and get lost in that world. With Robin you never knew if he was going to jump into the crowd, or put on an indian costum, etc. With Dj, everything is so...predictable.

His playing isn't just sloppy. It's lazy. It's downright bad at times.

Yeah he's a great showman, but that is the only thing he's got going for him. He simply is not capable of playing some solo's so he beats around them by changing them and making them easier to play, distracting the crowd with his antics while he fails a solo, or just giving half the solo to Bumblefoot. And even the solo's he can handle by himself always seem very choppy and like he's taking the easy way out. He never really plays a solo that sounds right to me.

I know I may sound biased but seriously, other than his showmanship I can't say a single good thing about him. He irks me in so many ways it isn't even possible to list them all.

the first point you could make the argument it's the other way around depending on wich guy you're a fan of.

and DJ also playes Slashs parts alot better and cleaner then Robin did but when he trys to play Robins parts he fails. I think Robin has a good dirty sound but when he played the old slash solos it only came across as sloppy and not as his style but when he played his own solos it sounded great.

something that would be alot better is if Ron would just play most of the solos :P

Edited by Desperado

My appreciation for Bucket and Robin has grown tenfold as time goes on. Heck just watching some of Bucket's solos in RIR 3 makes my hair stand on end. So much talent and potential and in the end all stiffled. It's like these guys had their wings clipped by the slow pace of NuGNR. And I feel that's why they left. Not because hey had beef with Axl or anyone else, but creatively it must have been a black hole. I have nothing against Bumble, but I'd take Bucket and Robin back in a heartbeat. As for DJ, he's the first NuGNR member I feel that fits right into the cover band character role. He's horrible in so many ways, and I think is trying to overly stamp what he thinks the band should be doing.

I want CD2 and CD3. I want to hear what Bucket and Robin created. After that I can handle a DJ record, but if all we get is a DJ record, I have a feeling so many folks are going to be turned off GNR. Not the casuals, but the ones who have stuck it out for so long. In the end it'll just be ok whatever, this is total crap and we'll move on.

Guest Gunns

Buckethead is the only guitarist Axl's had post Slash that he could really reinvent GNR with. Nobody else has had the right combination of chops, songwriting skills and charisma.

well said Randy, and add finck in there too

as good as he was, he did not suit GNR. he was fuckin weird and his guitar playing was to technical and video game/industrial for gnr.

I highly suggest you listen to ANYTHING from his Electric Tears album. Then come back and reasses what this statement was...

Mick Mars is a billion times better than DJ. Totally underrated guitarist. Doesnt have the technical skill of Fortus but I enjoy him much more than him or Ron.

Also, BH was great for GNR. I'd love to see him again. I dont consider him an "industrial" guitarist anyways, Axl Morris, because, well, he ISNT. Listen to Population Override. Sounds like Robin Trower meets Slash meets Shawn lane.

And here's just an example of Brain and BH kicking so much ass there's no way Axl should let these guys leave:

Edited by Eu4ic

Mick Mars is a billion times better than DJ. Totally underrated guitarist. Doesnt have the technical skill of Fortus but I enjoy him much more than him or Ron.

I know Mick Mars is better, but I kind of view DJ as his understudy. Ashba seems way more Motley than Guns. Someday I think DJ will even end up replacing Mars.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Buckethead was NuGNR. When he left most of the credibility went out the door. I can only think of what the possibilities might have been. The Buckethead/Finck GNR felt like a new Guns N Roses, this band feels like they are covering old and new GNR. I wish Ron would go away. I wish DJ Ashba would follow him.

If you listen to the songs closely you'll notice that the songs nowadays are even more different now than how they sounded in 2002. New intros, solos, improvs, outros... I'd prove it showing how each song has its own distinct identity nowadays but whatever, wouldnt make a difference because in the end the truth to most users over here is what they want to believe in and not the actual truth. Nightrain, Jungle, Brownstone, NR, PC, YCBM, RQ, LALD, KOHD...they all sound a lot different now and even more distinct. The cover band argument is retarded. Oh, and the funniest part is "they are a cover band now...the 2002 band was moving forward". How? First of all most of the band is still here, and back in 2002 they were not playing a single song that they wrote. None. Zero. They were a cover band playing other people's songs as much as this band, but yes, lets keep the retarded and baseless arguments. The band members that got to play songs they wrote were Chris, Dizzy, Tommy and Robin in 2006/2007 with better. Other than that Brain and Bucket never, ever played a song they wrote in Guns. So enough with the stupid "cover band" arguments and the double - and hypocrite - standarts.

I feel like Bucket left because CD was done, he'd toured it and Axl was sort of moving on to something else. The creative aspect of it was done. So they called in some guys to tour and maybe make a record in a galaxy far far away.