Lyrics questions

Madridista

Since I learned English as a foreign language and I don't understand it instinctively, I sometimes have to sit down and carefully look at songs' lyrics to find out what they're about. And I like singing along, especially when I listen to GnR, so I've always tried to study the lyrics. Now, I don't always understand them completely. So that's why I start this thread. Since most of you guys are Americans, I'm sure you can understand the lyrics way better than I can.

My first question is about GnR's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door. I do understand most of what Axl is signing, but his part of the song makes no sense to me, no sense whatsoever. Anybody cares to shed some light on what it means? Thank you.

"YOU JUST BETTER START SNIFFIN' YOUR OWN

RANK SUBJUGATION JACK 'CAUSE IT'S JUST

YOU AGAINST YOUR TATTERED LIBIDO, THE BANK

AND THE MORTICIAN, FOREVER MAN AND IT

WOULDN'T BE LUCK IF YOU COULD GET OUT OF

LIFE ALIVE"

:question:

Seriously......me too

Im english speaking and 15 years sisnt have a fucking breeze what this meant

This is a loose interpretation/meaning/translation:

You,Jack is an ambiguous term meaning anyman.

Smelling your own rank subrigation is akin to telling someone their shit does indeed stink and they are not too high and mighty to fuck up,be fooled,be led off track;be misled or subject to self sabotage.

The Mortician reference is alluding to our own mortality and the fact that we come into and leave this life alone.

It is a talk you would have with yourself in the mirror when maxxed out and overwhelmed with disgust,confusion,self doubt,self loathing,fear,insecurity,and it is very introspective.

(Maybe we need a GNR/Axl Speak translation machine on the forum :lol: ) :thumbsup:

Edited by sailaway

Although GNR were the only ones to add this line,others who have covered it include:

Roger McGuinn, Pink Floyd, Herman Brood, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Bryan Adams, The Scorpions, Avril Lavigne, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Goerge Bush Remix, Neil Young, Bon Jovi,, Wyclef Jean, Mark Knopfler, Nazareth, U2, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Randy Crawford, Dolly Parton,Black Mambozo,Van Morrison, The Grateful Dead, Eric Burdon, Tom Petty and of course Dylan himself.

Hey Madrista, I'm English and I'll be damned if I knew what Axl was singing about in that part, Axl has a pretty amazing grasp of the English language, his vocabulary is probably verging on excellent. That won't be the only lyric in the Gn'r catalogue I'd be struggling to make sense of either.

*waiting for someone to come along and tell me that isn't an original Axl lyric*

To sum up, Axl's an amazing lyricist, guess we all knew that anyway. ;)

Although GNR were the only ones to add this line,others who have covered it include:

Roger McGuinn, Pink Floyd, Herman Brood, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Bryan Adams, The Scorpions, Avril Lavigne, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Goerge Bush Remix, Neil Young, Bon Jovi,, Wyclef Jean, Mark Knopfler, Nazareth, U2, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Randy Crawford, Dolly Parton,Black Mambozo,Van Morrison, The Grateful Dead, Eric Burdon, Tom Petty and of course Dylan himself.

Also Cold Chisel

Thanks for your replies guys :thumbsup: ... I am glad I'm not the only one who does not get that Knocking on heaven's door part :tongue2:

Now, I have another question. What does Axl say in Breakdown:

"When there ain't enough of me to go around I'd rather be left alone" or "When there ain't enough for me to go around I'd rather be left alone"?

I always thought he meant when there is nothing going on in his life, he'd rather be left alone, hence when there ain't enough for me. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, if he sings when there ain't enough of me to go around, I'd rather be left alone. does he mean he'd rather be left alone if he can't please everyone around him? :question:

Edited by Madridista