Live Era: the album

Marc,

First off - thanks for doing this. You've already answered more questions than any band member has in the past 4 years.

My three-part question:

Were you ever approached when "Live Era" was being produced, either for input on what to include or asking if you had any audio for inclusion?

Were you disappointed in the final product?

Slash and Axl supposedly went through intermediaries to put the album together - who had more control over the album, Slash or Axl? It seems Axl made a bunch of creative decisions like re-recording vocals and entirely deleting Gilby (!) that Slash wouldn't have been cool with.

Marc,

First off - thanks for doing this. You've already answered more questions than any band member has in the past 4 years.

My three-part question:

Were you ever approached when "Live Era" was being produced, either for input on what to include or asking if you had any audio for inclusion?

Were you disappointed in the final product?

Slash and Axl supposedly went through intermediaries to put the album together - who had more control over the album, Slash or Axl? It seems Axl made a bunch of creative decisions like re-recording vocals and entirely deleting Gilby (!) that Slash wouldn't have been cool with.

The band only asked me for photos and the flyers. I liked the record, it could have had a few other songs that may have been better. Del James did a lot of work on it looking for the best stuff. I know they had to pick from the shows that were recorded a certain way. I think Axl had more control but Slash had some say so about how Del would be paid but I don't really know how they worked it all out. They still owe Jack Lue and I a gold record for it.

Hey, Marc! Do you know why Axl re-recorded so many parts of his voice in this album? Was he wanting to know how the public would react to his "new" voice at the time? Thanks.

Hey, Marc! Do you know why Axl re-recorded so many parts of his voice in this album? Was he wanting to know how the public would react to his "new" voice at the time? Thanks.

I don't know if he did re-record anything or not, He never said anything to me about that. I know he took out the second part of the SCOM solo and added in Robin's take for a movie soundtrack which I was not really about. I always felt that it would be best to move on and record new music instead of messing with the old stuff.

I don't know if he did re-record anything or not, He never said anything to me about that. I know he took out the second part of the SCOM solo and added in Robin's take for a movie soundtrack which I was not really about. I always felt that it would be best to move on and record new music instead of messing with the old stuff.

hey marc - maybe you wouldn't know this anyway, but i just wanted to 'put it out there' that i recently heard axl's customized microphone setup back in the old days made the quality of a lot of recordings not suitable for the live era album - i guess he brought his own gear to the gigs and as a result the soundboards weren't always of good enough quality...and that this was the reason he re-recorded his vocals on some of the tracks. just wanted to add it on to this thread and see if you felt that was a possibility or would make any sense? cheers.

Well, it's obvious that Axl re-recorded many of his voice tracks (and there's probably more of the "new" Axl than the "old" Axl). Just listen again to the Rocket Queen outro, or the whole November Rain, or It's Alright, or that part on Used to Love Her when he gets to the highest pitch in the music. I'm not blaming him for that. It's just too weird to me since Axl, in terms of quality, didn't need to do that. I read that, by that time around, when he was preparing his new band, he wasn't singing for 18 months. That's why I thought maybe he was insecure with his voice and took the opportunity of the album to see how things would work out. I'm just hypothesizing here.

Thanks!

hey marc - maybe you wouldn't know this anyway, but i just wanted to 'put it out there' that i recently heard axl's customized microphone setup back in the old days made the quality of a lot of recordings not suitable for the live era album - i guess he brought his own gear to the gigs and as a result the soundboards weren't always of good enough quality...and that this was the reason he re-recorded his vocals on some of the tracks. just wanted to add it on to this thread and see if you felt that was a possibility or would make any sense? cheers.

Didn't know about that... Interesting. Thinking on that, maybe he united business with pleasure (considering my "theory"...).

Edited by GHS

the thing is, you'll notice most of the tracks where his vocals were left in their original state - like 'patience' - the recording quality is rather shit. so it would add credence to the theory that he had to re-record vocals for that reason.

i do agree that knowing axl, however, he probably enjoyed the idea of re-doing those tracks - at the time it seemed his intent was to still 'bury appetite' and he even mentioned re-recording appetite to kurt loder. however i don't want to take this thread off-topic so i'll stop short of rambling on.

the thing is, you'll notice most of the tracks where his vocals were left in their original state - like 'patience' - the recording quality is rather shit. so it would add credence to the theory that he had to re-record vocals for that reason.

i do agree that knowing axl, however, he probably enjoyed the idea of re-doing those tracks - at the time it seemed his intent was to still 'bury appetite' and he even mentioned re-recording appetite to kurt loder. however i don't want to take this thread off-topic so i'll stop short of rambling on.

I agree with the Patience quality is shit but its relaxing how the crowd sings along