Will Slash's success motivate Axl?

LoadedNightraiN

When you mention Slash's success, are you talking about the "award" that he paid $30,000 to receive (Walk of Fame), the album he just released that will struggle to hit 100,000 copies sold in the US (currently sits at 81,000 copies sold, and is out of the Billboard Top 100), or the tour where he's failing to sell out 2,500 seat venues each night despite charging $35 a ticket? Please clarify. Thanks.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely doubt Axl personally makes boatloads of money every show after paying band members, road crew, taking care of team brazil, curfew fines, accomodations, etc. etc. He surely makes enough to get by and to continue living the life he lives, but he's not exactly making Kanye/Jay-z tour money here.

Slash tours on a bus, only has four other band members, likely doesn't have nearly as many non band member people to pay as gn'r, he probably gets to keep a good amount of his made from crowds of 2,000 - 3,000. As far as europe and south america goes, guns prolly make a lot more. But in america, I'd bet (no msl, it's a figure of speech) slash doesn't make much less than axl per show personally.

Typically, in the modern era of touring acts like GnR get a guaranteed fee with a percentage of profits after the promoter breaks even. In the US, I would imagine that GnR gets $300-500K to show up, depending on venue, and potentially more if the show does well. Back in the day, it used to be the band only made money after the show turned a profit but not so much anymore. Touring is the one area of the music biz where artists have the upper hand. With record sales, they still typically don't get paid until the label makes their money back.

Edited by shotgunblues1978

I sincerely doubt Axl personally makes boatloads of money every show after paying band members, road crew, taking care of team brazil, curfew fines, accomodations, etc. etc. He surely makes enough to get by and to continue living the life he lives, but he's not exactly making Kanye/Jay-z tour money here.

Slash tours on a bus, only has four other band members, likely doesn't have nearly as many non band member people to pay as gn'r, he probably gets to keep a good amount of his made from crowds of 2,000 - 3,000. As far as europe and south america goes, guns prolly make a lot more. But in america, I'd bet (no msl, it's a figure of speech) slash doesn't make much less than axl per show personally.

Typically, in the modern era of touring acts like GnR get a guaranteed fee with a percentage of profits after the promoter breaks even. In the US, I would imagine that GnR gets $300-500K to show up, depending on venue, and potentially more if the show does well. Back in the day, it used to be the band only made money after the show turned a profit but not so much anymore. Touring is the one area of the music biz where artists have the upper hand. With record sales, they still typically don't get paid until the label makes their money back.

yeah exactly thats why all bands outside the big mainstream acts release albums every 4+ years instead of every year like it was in the 60s-90s when albums were very profitable and tours were costly

im wondering what the music industry is going to be in 10+ years. the reason i buy cds is for the physical copy and to support the bands i love but when it goes all digital it removes the physical copy and the liner notes and artwork, gives more incentive to just download it illegally instead of paying for it

When you mention Slash's success, are you talking about the "award" that he paid $30,000 to receive (Walk of Fame), the album he just released that will struggle to hit 100,000 copies sold in the US (currently sits at 81,000 copies sold, and is out of the Billboard Top 100), or the tour where he's failing to sell out 2,500 seat venues each night despite charging $35 a ticket? Please clarify. Thanks.

Sources please? Last time I checked tickets were sold out (VIP tickets as well) and the price was $65.

You're a lie single is doing good on billboard charts for rock songs.

Please clarify. Thanks.

Your 300-500k Is far more accurate then the 2 million that msl Is claiming but It seems like you enjoy belittling slash every chance you get, just realize that know matter how much you do It, It Isn't going to change the fact that anytime anyone brings up Guns N Roses people think of Slash, there Is nothing you can do to change that and as far as sales go, like I said In an earlier post, lets see what kind of numbers Axl does without the Guns N Roses name.

Sources please? Last time I checked tickets were sold out (VIP tickets as well) and the price was $65.

You're a lie single is doing good on billboard charts for rock songs.

Please clarify. Thanks.

For record sales:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/07/12/neilstein-soundscam-around-the-periphery-of-the-nile/#more-97610

For ticket sales:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/110048A3D93C7C3C?artistid=771959&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/110048A4AA866428?artistid=771959&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Yea so explain where you find the tickets to $35? Cheapest one I find is £60 which is almost twice of what you claimed. And it's basically sold out except for the few rows who are so far back they are almost outside the arena. It's sold out.

Slash is just a guitarist. He's not using the name Guns N' Roses when he is touring or releasing music. You can't deny Slash as a guitarist is having success.

Edited by Jeez

Slash receiving his slab of concrete made news all over media outlets (TMZ, Access Hollywood, CBS morning News, Kimmel, to name a few.. None I regularly watch, but just happen to catch the clip), mostly because of Charlie Sheen's dig at Axl...

Slash has been all over the place lately (even more than normal...) More and more Axl has been made the butt of jokes during these things...

We all know how he feels about Slash, so this can't sit well with him.. The only way he can prove he wont be sleeping on a side walk anytime soon, is to unleash some big guns and blow people away

Question is will he do anything about it? Hate slash more? Or get in the Vault and counter with some new music

It's a big year for Guns N' Roses, they're taking advantage of the attention the Rock Hall induction brought. Slash has new music to promote and makes the rounds, Axl doesn't, that's all it comes down to. Has nothing to do with how he feels about Slash, Axl already knows Slash is playing smaller venues and the occasional festival shows.

Sheen made a dig at the GNR concert, that wasn't disrespectful?

I'm surprised no one's combined "Where's Slash/He's in my ass" audio and put it on You Tube

As much as Slash 'bought' his star, you cant deny the good publicity it has gotten him

Slash was given the opportunity to buy a star and he took it. Wouldn't any of us do the same if the opportunity came along and you had the cash to do it? And it doesn't seem like something Slash solicited, it's something that has be won through nomination.

Not sure why this such a big deal for anyone other than Slash and his supporters.

Cheers,

Andrew

As much as Slash 'bought' his star, you cant deny the good publicity it has gotten him

I agree.

And I'm happy he is active and releasing music frequently.

I think it's weird how some absolutely has to choose a side; Slash or Axl. If they were back together everyone would suddenly love both.

they're taking advantage of the attention the Rock Hall induction brought.

How?

Edited by Jeez

Having a star is an "award" that is bought and paid for by the "winner." It's a publicity stunt. A ruse. A joke. Everything Axl would avoid and everything Slash would embrace.

Slash is playing shows that struggle to gross $20,000 while Axl is playing shows that are grossing $2,000,000.

Axl jealous? No. Axl laughing all the way to the bank.

So why exactly do people call him $la$h? When we all know Axl kept the name for $$$ rea$ons. He obviously didn't keep it for "artistic" reasons. He knows without the name no $$$$$.

I still like both, but Slash Is and always will be as much of a part of Guns N Roses as Axl and that pisses some of the fans of new Guns off.

fixed :thumbsup:

Edited by bran

Yea so explain where you find the tickets to $35? Cheapest one I find is £60 which is almost twice of what you claimed. And it's basically sold out except for the few rows who are so far back they are almost outside the arena. It's sold out.

Slash is just a guitarist. He's not using the name Guns N' Roses when he is touring or releasing music. You can't deny Slash as a guitarist is having success.

What are you talking about? The large majority of the upper level tickets to those shows are still available and those tickets are $29.95 Canadian with $11 of Ticketmaster fees, meaning that if you bought a ticket at the venue it would be $29.95 Canadian. Sorry, I overestimated what the tickets are selling for, thanks for correcting me :thumbsup:

And there are no tickets that are "so far back they are almost outside the arena" when you're talking about a theatre with 2,538 maximum capacity. Try again.

Edited by shotgunblues1978

I agree.

And I'm happy he is active and releasing music frequently.

I think it's weird how some absolutely has to choose a side; Slash or Axl. If they were back together everyone would suddenly love both.

they're taking advantage of the attention the Rock Hall induction brought.

How?

I mean taking advantage in a good way - using the attention from it and promoting their solo stuff.

What are you talking about? The large majority of the upper level tickets to those shows are still available and those tickets are $29.95 Canadian with $11 of Ticketmaster fees, meaning that if you bought a ticket at the venue it would be $29.95 Canadian. Sorry, I overestimated what the tickets are selling for, thanks for correcting me :thumbsup:

And there are no tickets that are "so far back they are almost outside the arena" when you're talking about a theatre with 2,538 maximum capacity. Try again.

On Slash's site it says sold out. VIP sold out as well.

Without fees? I'm sure you can get tickets on ebay even cheaper. We can discuss this forever.

Slash is one of the world most known guitarists. Ranked as nr. 1 by many.

You're not gonna convince me he is not successful by giving me the price of the ticket.

I'm going to the Québec show july 29. All tickets were 60$. The show originaly was going to be at the salle Albert-Rousseau, a venue of 1300 seats. Due to the high demand they changed the venue to the Agora de Québec, a 4000 seats venue. Just saying.

On Slash's site it says sold out. VIP sold out as well.

Without fees? I'm sure you can get tickets on ebay even cheaper. We can discuss this forever.

Slash is one of the world most known guitarists. Ranked as nr. 1 by many.

You're not gonna convince me he is not successful by giving me the price of the ticket.

So in other words everything I said was right, everything you said was wrong. Thanks for playing :thumbsup:

Slash receiving his slab of concrete made news all over media outlets (TMZ, Access Hollywood, CBS morning News, Kimmel, to name a few.. None I regularly watch, but just happen to catch the clip), mostly because of Charlie Sheen's dig at Axl...

Slash has been all over the place lately (even more than normal...) More and more Axl has been made the butt of jokes during these things...

We all know how he feels about Slash, so this can't sit well with him.. The only way he can prove he wont be sleeping on a side walk anytime soon, is to unleash some big guns and blow people away

Question is will he do anything about it? Hate slash more? Or get in the Vault and counter with some new music

Again, it's an insult to Slash and a backhanded compliment to Axl that people feel Slash's relevance is enhanced by dissing Axl. I love Slash, he's an amazing guitarist and he can stand on his own. I guarantee he is starting to get annoyed when people invoke Axl thinking it legitimizes Slash when he is already legit.

As far as Charlie owning Axl, I know it's a cupcake thread but simply put, Charlie's business plan of converting his cash into powder and storing it in his nose is not sustainable. We'll see who is sleeping on the street or in the ground first. The high profile drug addict or the perfectionist recluse.

I'm going to the Québec show july 29. All tickets were 60$. The show originaly was going to be at the salle Albert-Rousseau, a venue of 1300 seats. Due to the high demand they changed the venue to the Agora de Québec, a 4000 seats venue. Just saying.

Shotgunblues .....care to comment on this?

Shotgunblues .....care to comment on this?

If Guns were doing a show for 4000, it would be used against them. Slash's post-VR career isn't a Spinal Tap-esque basketcase like some of the more disingenuous posters are making it out to be in this thread, but he is playing to a niche market as well, and not really doing much better than Axl, if at all. Certainly not enough for Axl to be jealous.