Will Slash's success motivate Axl?

LoadedNightraiN

I'm going to the Québec show july 29. All tickets were 60$. The show originaly was going to be at the salle Albert-Rousseau, a venue of 1300 seats. Due to the high demand they changed the venue to the Agora de Québec, a 4000 seats venue. Just saying.

Shotgunblues .....care to comment on this?

One show on the tour is in a slightly larger venue with more expensive tickets. And? The vast majority of the shows on the tour are at smaller venues than that with less expensive tickets; 2,000 - 3,000 seat venues, with box office tickets available for $30-35. The info is right there on Ticketmaster. A handful of exceptions to the rule don't invalidate anything I said. I also wouldn't call playing one show at 4,000 seat venue "success" on a level that would somehow motivate Axl.

Edited by shotgunblues1978

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to the Québec show july 29. All tickets were 60$. The show originaly was going to be at the salle Albert-Rousseau, a venue of 1300 seats. Due to the high demand they changed the venue to the Agora de Québec, a 4000 seats venue. Just saying.

Shotgunblues .....care to comment on this?

One show on the tour is in a slightly larger venue with more expensive tickets. And? The vast majority of the shows on the tour are at smaller venues than that with less expensive tickets; 2,000 - 3,000 seat venues, with box office tickets available for $30-35. The info is right there on Ticketmaster. A handful of exceptions to the rule don't invalidate anything I said. I also wouldn't call playing one show at 4,000 seat venue "success" on a level that would somehow motivate Axl.

Let's be honest here.

Isn't everyone's goal live life to the fullest?

Let's start with Axl. Does he look happy to you? I mean think about it; he went on this forum and went off on an administrator, trashes his former guitarist, cops out of the HOF and complains about it, gets in fights with fashion designers, insults his bands, blames the club managers etc.

Let's look at Slash. Writes plenty of music, makes friends with those in Hollywood, plays in the Super Bowl, writes an autobiography, does interviews, plays in the Rock and Roll HOF, gets his own star etc.

To me Slash is taking advantage of the time he has. Not only is he without a doubt more successful than more people could ever dream of, but he continues that success. I don't care if you think selling only 6,000 tickets doesn't count, at least he's having fun doing it and that's more than I can say for Axl.

Shotgunblues, tickets for main floor and first balcony cost $60. Tickets on second balcony cost $40. Everything is sold out, except a couple rows all the way back on the second balcony. On top of that, all the VIP tickets are sold out.

You are the one using exceptions, as you base ticket prices on the second balcony and on top of that find alternative ways of buying tickets to try make your argument valid.

the tour where he's failing to sell out 2,500 seat venues each night despite charging $35 a ticket?

Your "facts" are obviously just made up by you. Thank you for making it clear that you are a fool.

Didn't GNR just recently have an "up close and personal" tour where they were playing clubs and smaller venues? Terminal 5, as an example, has a capacity of 3000 people.

There is no secret that the "Guns N' Roses" name is a lot bigger than "Slash". As long as Axl is in GN'R he will be able to fill bigger venues.

Edited by Jeez

FYI for everyone too...the walk of fame is basically a sham...they hit up celebrities for like $5000 to get their place in the cement. There are tons of massively famous people who aren't represented because they weren't willing to write a check for publicity.

FYI for everyone too...the walk of fame is basically a sham...they hit up celebrities for like $5000 to get their place in the cement. There are tons of massively famous people who aren't represented because they weren't willing to write a check for publicity.

Being recognized for your work isn't a sham, but if someone wants to put the money up for anyone to be on there, they are more than free to. Slash had recently made a video having to do with runaway youth, and that's the long and short of why he was selected recently.

If I could get a star on the walk of fame for a price which is so low compared to the amount of money I got I wouldn't even notice it was gone, and on top of that get a lot of promotion for my new album and tour, I would easily pay the price.

Having a star is an "award" that is bought and paid for by the "winner." It's a publicity stunt. A ruse. A joke. Everything Axl would avoid and everything Slash would embrace.

Slash is playing shows that struggle to gross $20,000 while Axl is playing shows that are grossing $2,000,000.

Axl jealous? No. Axl laughing all the way to the bank.

Actually I happened to attend a festival in Milan, Italy where both Slash and Axl played on two consecutive days. The crowd on the Slash concert was the same or more as on Axl's date, and the crowd's excitement on new songs was obvious on Slash's gig, while on the CD-era "GNR" songs there was nothing going on with the crowd. Just un-excited waiting for the next song.

By the way the venue was less than half full. I took a few photos to evidence that. The last people were standing in front of the sound and light people which were on the half of the venue.

That said, it's only natural for a nostalgia cover band with Axl Rose on vocals to draw crowds.

Axl is jealous as hell. Otherwise he wouldn't be monitoring Slash and still deal with him 16 years after their split.

Edited by izzydoezit

I'm glad you brought up the UCAP tour. That is a good example of GNR and Slash both playing similar sized venues in the same markets just months apart. A Slash ticket would be around $30 for a show like that and GNR would be $125. Slash would sell maybe 600-800 tickets while GNR would sell out all 2000-3000 tickets. Do the math and you will quickly realize how silly it is to claim that Axl would be "jealous" of Slash's "success."

This is funny as guy a who attended a festival where both GNR and Slash played just said this:

Actually I happened to attend a festival in Milan, Italy where both Slash and Axl played on two consecutive days. The crowd on the Slash concert was the same or more as on Axl's date, and the crowd's excitement on new songs was obvious on Slash's gig, while on the CD-era "GNR" songs there was nothing going on with the crowd. Just un-excited waiting for the next song.

By the way the venue was less than half full. I took a few photos to evidence that. The last people were standing in front of the sound and light people which were on the half of the venue.

Slash would sell maybe 600-800 tickets while GNR would sell out all 2000-3000 tickets.

Is this something you know or just making stuff up to try prove something?

Edited by Jeez

Slash's solo career is tanking right now BIG TIME.

And he brought it on himself, because after the HOF, the public lost interest in seeing him solo. They want to see him with Duff, Matt, Gilby, etc.

Even assuming the numbers you posted are correct, I do not see how he is "tanking BIG TIME", can you elaborate on that please?

If we are talking about money...Slash may be able to play smaller shows...cheaper tickets...and turn a decent profit...because the low production value, and the fact that he doesn't have a 8 piece band and huge crew....Axl, i'm sure as always spares no expense on the show he puts on for the fans. But honestly...if you see Slash live, then Guns N' Roses...there is no comparison as to which is better.

no, a GOD N' RELIGION record with duff, gilby, matt and myles.

Slash's solo career is tanking right now BIG TIME.

And he brought it on himself, because after the HOF, the public lost interest in seeing him solo. They want to see him with Duff, Matt, Gilby, etc.

Even assuming the numbers you posted are correct, I do not see how he is "tanking BIG TIME", can you elaborate on that please?

slash's first solo record sold 235k copies in the US. his new record might fail to break 100k. many of his tour dates for the record did disastrous numbers. it is very expensive to go on tour. 600 people paying $28 just doesn't cut it. slash is going to have to regroup after this year. the HOF really did a lot of damage to his solo career. he ended up finding out exactly what axl already knew, if you give the people what they want, even for just one night, you can't then go back the next night to trying to sell them something else.

Where do you get the "only 600 people paying $28" bit from? On ticketmaster there are many varying prices, on this specific show right here: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0000489DFA24A0AE?artistid=771959&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1# - there are three different prices, the minimum being $39.50 and the max being $75 not counting the VIP packages and extra fees. I cannot find a source for the "600 people" thing so if you can point me in that direction as well??

Edited by WhazUp

Jeez -

So Axl will be jealous that some random anonymous internet poster claimed the crowd was more enthusiastic for Slash?

Hahahahahahha. Numbers don't lie. I'm not going to debate what some fan thought other fans thought. I'm telling you what the numbers were. Axl has nothing to be jealous of. Slash's solo career is tanking right now BIG TIME.

After he struggles through his prior commitments, I'm sure the public will then get what they want.

Please quote me where I mentioned jealousy? You making stuff up again?

At least bring facts. Slash just released another album and he is touring for it as we speak, while Guns is still touring with the material Slash was a part of two decades ago (oh yea, and a couple of songs from their new material - new as in 4 years ago).

If we are talking about money...Slash may be able to play smaller shows...cheaper tickets...and turn a decent profit...because the low production value, and the fact that he doesn't have a 8 piece band and huge crew....Axl, i'm sure as always spares no expense on the show he puts on for the fans. But honestly...if you see Slash live, then Guns N' Roses...there is no comparison as to which is better.

What kind of decent profit could there possibly be on a show that generates $20,000? You have the venue, insurance, advertising, travel, a five piece band, an entire crew, etc. How is there any room for profit? Let alone a decent profit?

$20,000 is probably low for an estimate...i mean it depends on the city, but my point is I've seen a lot of bands at the level GN'R is at now...and they aren't bringing in huge stages, and puting on the show Axl is for a half full arena.

For some reason when you bring up Slash ticketprices, you choose tickets furthest back in the venue (worst view - lowest price) that you go and buy at the venue (to avoid ticketmaster fees), but when you mention GN'R prices you choose front row including ticketmaster fees.

Desperate?

Charlie was out of line. He should have talked about Slash's accomplishments.

Without Axl, Slash would have not done enough on his own to get that star. Axl's voice and melodies brought the best out of Slash. He could have talked about how big GNR was and what Slash meant to him as far as his image and sound and guitar playing and how good the music they made together was at that time. Bashing Axl only made Charlie look like an Ass. Charlie is only mad because there is not some kind of reunion. He does not know all the details.

Edited by recklessroad

Having a star is an "award" that is bought and paid for by the "winner." It's a publicity stunt. A ruse. A joke. Everything Axl would avoid and everything Slash would embrace.

Slash is playing shows that struggle to gross $20,000 while Axl is playing shows that are grossing $2,000,000.

Proof? Link?...

Well I found this link to Pollstar top 200 North American tours in 2011. Axl's average gross was actually $339,394 in the US in 2011

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2011/2011YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf

In 2010 he had an average gross of $672,881. So it's basically halved in the space of a year

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/Charts2010/2010YearEndTop50WorldwideConcertTours.pdf

Edited by rydog

Where do you get the "only 600 people paying $28" bit from? On ticketmaster there are many varying prices, on this specific show right here: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0000489DFA24A0AE?artistid=771959&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1# - there are three different prices, the minimum being $39.50 and the max being $75 not counting the VIP packages and extra fees. I cannot find a source for the "600 people" thing so if you can point me in that direction as well??

I check Billboard's boxscores every week. It shows the amount of tickets sold, the capacity of the venue, the cost of the tickets, the total amount of dollars grossed, etc for a variety of shows every week. A recent Florida event sold 600 tickets and grossed $20,000. Tickets for the event cost $28.

I went to a different show in Florida that same week and paid $28 for my ticket as well.

Ticket prices can vary from tour to tour, from market to market, from country to country. However, Groghan tried to use a $50 price point to prove 600 people would be bringing in a larger amount than was reported, so I let him know tickets were actually $28, not $50. There may be places where tickets are $50, but not the tour in question.

Thank you for pointing me towards the Billboard boxscores, that is a pretty nifty section of the site I wasn't aware of before

I did see an earlier post that you mentioned Slash could not make a decent earning from the tour selling out only 600 seats at $200, but I just looked on that site and there are plenty of times where ticket prices were more, there were more sales, etc. so I see at as entirely possible for him to make at the very least an ok sum at the end of the tour because not every show was like that one.

Not that any of this really matters to begin with

Slash has been all over the place lately (even more than normal...) More and more Axl has been made the butt of jokes during these things...

We all know how he feels about Slash, so this can't sit well with him.. The only way he can prove he wont be sleeping on a side walk anytime soon, is to unleash some big guns and blow people away

Axl has gotten shit from the press ever since GNR broke big so I doubt this would impact him one bit. The only change I can see is Axl giving less of a shit about Charlie Sheen. I would say purely based on Axl's actions that he is doing whatever he is doing not to prove the detractors wrong but doing something he personally feels is the right thing to do - for better or worse

Edited by WhazUp

For some reason when you bring up Slash ticketprices, you choose tickets furthest back in the venue (worst view - lowest price) that you go and buy at the venue (to avoid ticketmaster fees), but when you mention GN'R prices you choose front row including ticketmaster fees.

Desperate?

You're lying. You are 100% completely unequivocally lying. The shows in question had ONE PRICE POINT.

$28.

I would have listed any other price points had they existed.

That figure does not include fees, but since I also listed the total gross, I was not hiding anything. $28 was the advertised price point, $20,411 was the total gross on the 600 sold tickets, which averages to approximately $35 per ticket after fees.

Well I found this link to Pollstar top 200 North American tours in 2011. Axl's average gross was actually $339,394 in the US in 2011

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2011/2011YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf

In 2010 he had an average gross of $672,881. So it's basically halved in the space of a year

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/Charts2010/2010YearEndTop50WorldwideConcertTours.pdf

Many, including myself, have posted those figures in the past several times.

Thank you for the SHOCKING INFORMATION that GNR makes more money overseas than in the US. None of us were aware of that.

Nice distraction and thanks for trying to completely evade the point - where's your evidence that he grosses $2million per show?

It seems like Slash's success is kind of the illusion of success at this point.

I think you've got earnings and success mixed up. Slash is an incredibly successful person. He's sold millions of albums, is well known in his chosen field, respected by a lot of people, has a couple of kids who seem happy in every photo you see. I think it probably feels pretty good to be Slash at this point. The guy is a success. Well done Slash

Intrigued to know what kind of success you must have personally attained to feel that Slash's success isn't that great??? Please tell us about your success...

Edited by rydog