The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

He doesn't even look like James Bond.

So what exactly is James Bond supposed to look like? Sean Connery being the first I suppose set the benchmark for what Bond is 'supposed' to look like, but none of the 5 Bond players after Connery look anything like him and Pierce Brosnan certainly doesn't. :shrugs:

Unlike many of the actors post Connery, Daniel Craig can really act and the stunt performances are exceptional, especially taking into account the advancements with production and post production techniques. IMO his films make most of the previous Bond films look almost B grade in comparison. The Connery films stand the test of time for coolness (just can't beat the 60s styling) but Craig's films are just high quality on every front.

Mmmm.

For Christ's sake at least they could make him have dark hair.

I guess they could have dyed his hair, but still, Craig isn't that blond. More of a dirty blond. Moore didn't exactly have the darkest hair either. In any event, his hair is about the only thing that doesn't match Fleming's description of Bond.

Yeah, you're telling me they didn't have enough money in their budget to die his hair? C'mon! That's a deal breaker. If they're not going to spend the time to make the movie right then I'm not spending my money to watch the movie.

I guess they figured they'd spend their money on more important things, like getting a top cast, a great script, and making a quality movie. It's only hair.

Hair color is more important than eye color.

Bond's "cold blue eyes" were often mentioned by Fleming's Bond girls though. His eyes are pretty important. Fleming's Bond also had a scar on his cheek which never became a reality on film.

There is another issue too: Bond is English. Only two actors (Moore and Craig) have been English. We've had an English spy portrayed by a Scotsman, an Australian, a Welshman, and and Irishman.

So, new question for you Arnold, is Bond's hair color more important than his nationality?

Bond's "cold blue eyes" were often mentioned by Fleming's Bond girls though. His eyes are pretty important. Fleming's Bond also had a scar on his cheek which never became a reality on film.

There is another issue too: Bond is English. Only two actors (Moore and Craig) have been English. We've had an English spy portrayed by a Scotsman, an Australian, a Welshman, and and Irishman.

So, new question for you Arnold, is Bond's hair color more important than his nationality?

Yes.

Surely, someone who fits the bill in terms of charisma, fitness and acting ability is far more important than his hair color? For fucks sake, there's so much more to James Bond than just his physical appearance. What a stupid argument. The films have been going for 50 years, so OBVIOUSLY it's not going to be the same actor all that time and obviously it's not realistic to expect a carbon copy every time there's and cast change. :rolleyes:

Yes.

This.

There was a rumor that Fleming originally suggested Moore for Bond after seeing him in the Saint, but the dates don't line-up because Dr. No was nearly finished by the time the Saint premiered.

I even see a bit of Danny boy in that picture (minus the hair, before you guys say it :lol:).

There was a rumor that Fleming originally suggested Moore for Bond after seeing him in the Saint, but the dates don't line-up because Dr. No was nearly finished by the time the Saint premiered.

I even see a bit of Danny boy in that picture (minus the hair, before you guys say it :lol:).

Roger Moore said Fleming had him in mind, but it would've been from acting on TV in the 50s (American and UK, he was alos on Maverick) and Fleming prob. saw him on a show.

Ever see this? Kind of in the spirit of Daniel Craig on SNL tonight.