What was the definitive moment for NuGNR?

HisRoyalSweetness

for me, it's this one. despite some earlier shows, this was the first real grand public introduction to NuGNR. in the minds of casual music fans and skeptical devotees of the old band, i don't think axl ever recovered.

but obviously, i'm one of those fans who was disappointed in chinese democracy and what axl's done with the gnr brand. there are others who really dig what went down with NuGNR. so maybe you'd have a totally different moment that defines the band to you.

or maybe you're holding out hope that NuGNR's defining moment has still yet to come?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though most of the band is gone and Axl's voice is off, everything from the video in the beginning, the intro, the pyro, the scream, and the energy of the crowd just make this performance really epic.

It was the start of NuGNR. To me, it's the most defining moment of NuGNR.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Was always confused by Fallon exclaiming, "they're even taking requests!" Was it a joke? Or did he really think they were taking requests?

VMAs '02 will always be the definitive moment for NuGNR, sadly. It's the thing everyone remembers. Patton Oswalt even had a bit about it on his most recent comedy record, joking about how out-of-shape and exasperated Axl was - Patton compares it to how he feels when he's trying to sink karaoke or something since getting older and gaining weight. The clip is probably on YouTube somewhere.

EDIT:

Was always confused by Fallon exclaiming, "they're even taking requests!" Was it a joke? Or did he really think they were taking requests?

VMAs '02 will always be the definitive moment for NuGNR, sadly. It's the thing everyone remembers.

I just think that Fallon got told of the medley of old+new they were going to do, and went with that.

if only the VMA showing had carried the promise of jimmy fallons excitement. We might have gotten chinese democracy five years earlier, maybe buckethead would be around... the complete clusterfuckedness of that eight minutes, that was witnessed by 300+ million people, will probably haunt Axl to his deathbed. As it should! People call him a perfectionist and with some stuff he very much is that but it's still confusing to me how he could let that one shot of real redemption turn into the agonizing humiliation it was.

he really was given the shot to give the world a new and cool GNR, a shot like nothing else I can remember in the history of pop and rock culture. A real "round one", if you will.

what he ended up with was something that forced him to hide for years, change his looks completely AGAIN, and try again. A little sad actually.

The concert where Axl wore a yellow rain jacket.

It was an iconic symbol of a giant failure.

I think people read WAY too much into that rain jacket. It was raining. It's a rain jacket. If anything, it was an attempt to be silly that backfired.

I think people read WAY too much into that rain jacket. It was raining. It's a rain jacket. If anything, it was an attempt to be silly that backfired.

I don't know if it was an attempt to be silly. Have you seen his leopard hat? Is that an attempt to be silly? :scared:

I don't know if it was an attempt to be silly. Have you seen his leopard hat? Is that an attempt to be silly? :scared:

That fucking hat...

Definitely the 2002 VMA's. People had waited years for Axl Rose to come above ground again. Everyone wanted it to be great, it just.....wasn't. It was hard to win back the goodwill of the masses when Joe Average was sitting at home going "he got rid of everyone in the old band for THAT?"

The only thing good about the 2002 VMAs was madagascar. Jungle and PC were horrible, and to be honest I'm pretty sure that axl was certifiable in 2002. Something about him just screamed "nutcase".

Very much agreed with this. Lots of folks seem to love that era- but to me it was fatally flawed from the get-go and destined to go nowhere considering how batty Axl seemed. The guy seemed to be in full on "self-sabotage" mode and acting like somebody touring against his will and playing new music that he knew was destined to be released many many many years later...

Just a general "what's the point?" attitude. I remember many threads on other boards at the time comparing Axl to Mike Tyson at his craziest- and the discussion was taken seriously and spread out over several pages, etc.

Anyway- negative- definitely VMA's. Being slightly more positive- I'd say Tokyo Dome '09. Even haters seemed to give Axl/GN'R props for the duration and the setlist (even if quality was lacking on some tracks). It was a pretty amazing thing to read about and watch the day after IMHO...