I'm not sure what happened between them that night.

This was what they looked 30 seconds after they were done with their set. Also it was 5 days before the band got signed. It was just a Rock N' Roll moment. March 21, 1986

post-37284-0-69683100-1347244758_thumb.j

From the looks of that picture and from band member statements regarding that time, wasn't the whole band (for the exception of Duff) using heroin? How did Axl kick it so quickly? Why was Duff's abstinence so strong? Was Duff likely whacked out on other substances?

Interesting history with that place. I wonder if it was burned down to get the insurance money, but there's a Best Western there now (521 E 1st). Tons of ska, reggae, punk and metal bands played there, the one I'm surprised that didn't was Metallica, but Megadeth and No Doubt did their first shows there. They also had reggae nights, which Brad Nowell from Sublime used to help promote for them.

GNR must've destroyed Johnny Thunders.

http://www.thelafayettelb.org/history.html

Guest Len B'stard
"We opened for him once in Long Beach during the early days. This was back when Axl used to wear those chaps with his ass hanging out and no underwear. I remember it was backstage, and Johnny Thunders said, `What are you, some kind of biker fag?' Axl goes, `I'll fuckin' kill you.' Really wanted to kick his ass. And Johnny just sat there smoking his joints and drinking his Budweisers. Great first impression."

:rofl-lol: I call that 1 - 0 to Johnny :lol:

"We opened for him once in Long Beach during the early days. This was back when Axl used to wear those chaps with his ass hanging out and no underwear. I remember it was backstage, and Johnny Thunders said, `What are you, some kind of biker fag?' Axl goes, `I'll fuckin' kill you.' Really wanted to kick his ass. And Johnny just sat there smoking his joints and drinking his Budweisers. Great first impression."

Is that quote from Slash? Here's Duff's recollections:

Duff: When my boyhood rock idol Johnny Thunders came to town in late March 1986, the promoters asked us to open both his shows. For me, this was a huge deal. Probably for Izzy, too. [...] I was really looking forward to that first show at Fender's Ballroom. Unfortunately, one of the first things that happened when we got down to fender's for the show was that Johnny started to chat up Axl's girlfriend Erin while we were onstage doing our sound check. Johnny also wanted to know where he could score some dope. Axl flipped out when he got wind that Johnny had hit on Erin, and began a tirade backstage. Axl could be intimidating when he started yelling and carrying on. Johnny spent the rest of the night in hiding in his dressing room, jonesing for a fix [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 105-106].

Guest Len B'stard

Is that quote from Slash? Here's Duff's recollections:

Duff: When my boyhood rock idol Johnny Thunders came to town in late March 1986, the promoters asked us to open both his shows. For me, this was a huge deal. Probably for Izzy, too. [...] I was really looking forward to that first show at Fender's Ballroom. Unfortunately, one of the first things that happened when we got down to fender's for the show was that Johnny started to chat up Axl's girlfriend Erin while we were onstage doing our sound check. Johnny also wanted to know where he could score some dope. Axl flipped out when he got wind that Johnny had hit on Erin, and began a tirade backstage. Axl could be intimidating when he started yelling and carrying on. Johnny spent the rest of the night in hiding in his dressing room, jonesing for a fix [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 105-106].

No it's a quote from Izzy and to be honest Duffs one sounds unrealistic because, OK, Axls raging, how hard is it to find someone in the backstage area? :lol: So they were there all night and Axl couldn't find him? I mean we're not talking about backstage in Wembley Stadium here. And this is someone thats craving for a fix by Duffs account, they're not exactly the most inconspicuous of people. No one knew whether the main attraction was in the building or not all night? Don't sound very realistic.

Also, this seems a running motif about any story thats relayed about Axl when he loses his rag, a lot of 'tirades' and 'raging' and not much else. Like the Vince Neil story, when he punched Izzy, a couple of accounts of that, has Axl catching up with those guys after Izzy got clocked...and a lot of jumping up and down and "raging" took place and not a lot else. Why not just clock em right there? You're there, they're there, the crimes just been committed, knock em the fuck out.

Edited by sugaraylen

Obviously it wasn't that big of a grudge considering Johnny Thunders is probably the most referenced musician in the GNR catalogue:

- "For Johnny Thunders" written in UYI II booklet.

- Plus two tracks on TSI? (NY Dolls 'Human Being' & You Can't Put Your Arms... - with the "this one's for you Johnny")

There seems to be a consensus that Axl was really pissed off at Johnny that night, but different recollections of the reason why.

One version is that Johnny was hitting on Erin during the soundcheck that night, and later on that night Axl found out about it and flipped out.

Another version is backstage that night Johnny got in Axl's face and ridiculed him for wearing chaps with his ass hanging out, supposedly Johnny asked him "What are you, some kind of biker f*g."

Which is the real reason Axl wanted to kick Johnny's ass that night? Or did both happen?

I bet both happened. Because it makes sense to me that if Johnny was hitting on Erin earlier and then saw Axl wearing assless chaps, he's probably get in his face about it. When you combine the two incidents, it makes sense that Johnny would hide when the raging shit storm that is Axl Rose came for him. I cannot imagine how angry Axl would be to be called a fag and have his girlfriend tampered with. I wouldn't want to be in that room, big, small, or otherwise.

Edited by MaryLouise

This was what they looked 30 seconds after they were done with their set. Also it was 5 days before the band got signed. It was just a Rock N' Roll moment. March 21, 1986

Marc, how come 2 versions of this photo exist? One with Steven and Slash and one without them (with the light switch showing where Steven is standing). If freaks me out because Axl, Duff and Izzy are in the exact same poses in both photos.

Marc, how come 2 versions of this photo exist? One with Steven and Slash and one without them (with the light switch showing where Steven is standing). If freaks me out because Axl, Duff and Izzy are in the exact same poses in both photos.

lol... care to link the other one??

Guest Len B'stard

So Johnny called him a fag to his face but he didn't hit him then but when he found out Johnny hit on his girlfriend he then went looking for Johnny? I don't buy it.

Izzy and Duff are both trying to recall an event that happened over 20 years ago. They were probably both on a decent amount of drugs at the time. Their memories probably aren't that clear. Sure the truth is most likely somewhere inbetween.