Rolling Stones 50th thread

dalsh327

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the fuck is Gary Clark Jr.?

http://en.wikipedia..../Gary_Clark_Jr.

If anyone is still thinking about getting a ticket secondhand, there are some decently priced tickets on eBay:

$375 - http://www.ebay.com/...=item337e4b62cd

$399 (Below face value!) - http://www.ebay.com/...=item337e2ee7c0

$400 for upperdeck nose bleeds is just ...............

Even the 2 nose bleed tickets for $375 is crazy........If it is anything like the last few Stones tours I attended I am betting people are going to be desperate and selling tickets well below face outside the venue that night............

Maybe Champagne and Reefer. I'm surprised Buddy Guy's not a guest because of the recent honor he got. Clapton did Little Red Rooster with them in the past, too (at the GNR/Stones show in '89 actually). Wonder if the Stones videotaped those shows and the opening acts...

In the venue (with my compact camera and audio gear!). Turns out there were NO restrictions...could've brought my SLR!

Where are you sitting?

Upper bowl, in line with the end of the tongue.

sweet!...updates if you have time?

enjoying myself too much to update :P Setlist was:

Get Off My Cloud

I Wanna Be Your Man

The Last Time

Paint It Black

Gimme Shelter (w/ Mary J. Bilge)

Wild Horses

I'm Going Down (W/ Gary Clark Jr.)

All Down The Line

Miss You

One More Shot

Doom & Gloom

It's Only Rock N Roll

Honky Tonk Women

Before They Make Me Run

Happy

Midnight Rambler

Start Me Up

Tumbling Dice

Brown Sugar

Sympathy For The Devil

---

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Satisfaction

Review and pictures tomorrow, and audio will be posted on Dime later this week assuming it came out decent

In the venue (with my compact camera and audio gear!). Turns out there were NO restrictions...could've brought my SLR!

Where are you sitting?

Upper bowl, in line with the end of the tongue.

sweet!...updates if you have time?

enjoying myself too much to update :P Setlist was:

Get Off My Cloud

I Wanna Be Your Man

The Last Time

Paint It Black

Gimme Shelter (w/ Mary J. Bilge)

Wild Horses

I'm Going Down (W/ Gary Clark Jr.)

All Down The Line

Miss You

One More Shot

Doom & Gloom

It's Only Rock N Roll

Honky Tonk Women

Before They Make Me Run

Happy

Midnight Rambler

Start Me Up

Tumbling Dice

Brown Sugar

Sympathy For The Devil

---

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Satisfaction

Review and pictures tomorrow, and audio will be posted on Dime later this week assuming it came out decent

Awesome setlist. rock3

Alright, here's my review of the gig.

I'll start this off by saying, I was extremely critical of them last night, for a couple of reasons. First off, when you're paying those prices, it's very easy to nitpick every little aspect of the gig. Second, having seen them before, it was easier to judge them because you don't have that "OMG, it's teh Rolling Stones!!!" vibe for the whole gig. If at any point in this review it sounds like I was disappointed because of how critical I am, absolutely not.

Got to Brooklyn really early (wanted to have plenty of extra time in case something went wrong). Took my mom to my favorite pizza place in Brooklyn, Triangolo's. I went there with my band on our tour last summer so she'd never been there, but she agreed that it's absolutely the best "traditional" pizza she's ever had! Venue was only 5 miles away but to get there and actually find somewhere to park took over an hour! By the time we got up to the venue it was a few minutes after 6 already. They had a merch booth outside of the venue, so we got our shirts out there to kill some time. Outside the smalls and mediums were $40 and the larges and up were $45. We thought that was kind of fishy since usually only 2XL's are more. Once we got inside we checked the other merch booth and of course, only the 2XL's were $45. My mom had got a large and we got my dad a shirt for Christmas too...when we told them inside that they were overcharging outside they refunded what we shouldn't have paid, but they gave us $20 back instead of $10! So Barclays Center ended up paying for most of our gas to get home :lol:

Our seats were in the upper bowl, just above where the end of the tongue ramp was. Pretty good seats, given that I'm not usually a fan of being in the upper bowl. Almost everyone we talked to throughout the night had bought their tickets second-hand. I ran my audio gear out of my coat pocket, clipped onto the bottom of my coat (So that I didn't have to be completely deadly silent for the whole gig :tongue2: ). This is how I normally run my setup, but I almost never do arena shows - one problem I realize I hadn't accounted for now as I sit listening back on my raw recording is that people in our section were sometimes, standing, sometimes sitting throughout the gig. When they were sitting, it sounds great other than the occasional...enthusiastic fan around me. When they were standing the sound was a bit more muffled, more bass-y. I've been able to EQ it so that it's not a drastic difference in quality, but you can tell when I had to stand and when I didn't if you're listening for it. Otherwise, taping wen't much smoother than I ever would've guessed.

Show started about 45 minutes late, I was worried they might have to cut something but it doesn't seem they did unless they'd intended to do something in the Lady Jane slot of the set. The intro tape was all sorts of musicians talking about the Stones - Paul McCartney, Iggy Pop, Elton John, etc. Very nice tribute. Then there was this sort of drum corps bit to the drum track from Sympathy, with people marching up the aisles on the floor with marching drums. Pretty lame if you ask me. The band came on and kicked into Get Off Of My Cloud, and the show was on! I love this one live, and it was great to have seen such a rare live track both times I've seen them to date! I Wanna Be Your Man followed up, another welcome early song. I must admit, I do wish this had stayed as the opener. One of my biggest gripes was not the song choice of the setlist, but the order of it. I'll elaborate more on that later though.

I was very happy to see The Last Time, though I would've enjoyed It's All Over Now as well if that had been played. But as it is, The Last Time was one of the highlights of the gig for me. The upper part of the lips on the stage were gone after TLT - wish they'd left them up longer as it looked great. Although in all the pictures I'd seen the lips looked like a solid metal structure, it was actually an inflatable a la AC/DC's Rosie. Looks much more effective in pictures and videos than in person. Behind the lips was a theatre-style curtain and a semi-circle lighting rig around the main screen onstage. Later in the show this curtain and lighting rig raised to reveal the full screen. Kind of hard to visualize but you'll see it in the pictures.

Paint It Black was next, and I must admit, I thought this one sounded a lot better in 2005. It was kinda...bland last night, and probably one of the lowest points of the show. Shame, since it is one of my favorites. Gimme Shelter followed, and Mary J. Blige came out for it. Again, not one of the best moments of the show. Judging by the videos from the O2, I thought that performance was quite a bit better than last night. Wild Horses was next, and again I was really glad to see this one. It's my favorite Stones song, so obviously it was a highlight. Somewhere around this point Mick took a bit of a talk break, made some jokes about ticket prices, etc. Then he said he'd taken the subway earlier that day and ran into a bloke that didn't know him, said him name was "Jay-Zed". He said he gave him a ticket up in the nosebleeds, and pointed up to the Jay-Z banned hanging in the rafters :lol:

Speaking of Mick, he forgot the order of the setlist a few times. Before he introduced Gary Clark Jr, he said "Now, it's blues time!". Ronnie came over, tapped him on the shoulder - "Oh, it's not blues time?". They had a little powow with Keith, and Mick said "Too bad...it's blues time!". Similar thing happened before Miss You - Mick said "We're gonna play a new one, called One More Shot...just kidding, we're not gonna play that one". I was kind of flabbergasted he could make that mistake twice with the setlist right in front of him!

Gary Clark Jr. was actually really good! They jammed for quite a while with him, Ronnie and Keith all trading choruses, and then Mick let him sing the last verse. As I'm writing this my roommate is playing me some of his stuff (He's a big fan of his), and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. All Down The Line was great as always. Miss You is another one that I think sounded a lot better in 2005, but maybe that's just me. Mick, Keith, and Ronnie all went out to the end of the tongue for the jamming bit towards the end of Miss You, which reminds me the tongue ramp wasn't used nearly enough for it being such a key feature of the stage. Mick used it maybe 7 or 8 times, and Keith and Ronnie only went out on it like twice each. I was unimpressed by both One More Shot and Doom & Gloom live, both are much better in the studio IMO.

I have to say, I thought Keith's vocals were a lot stronger than in 2005. I really enjoyed Before They Make Me Run and Happy, whereas I was extremely bored with Keith's songs in 2005 (The Worst and Infamy). Of course, Midnight Rambler is always a highlight and last night was no exception. It also got a much better crowd response than I remember in 2005 as well. The rest of the set was comprised of all the "mega-hits" and they all sounded as good as ever. I loved You Can't Always Get What You Want with the choir intro live, I hope they keep doing that one future tours. The band did seem to be enjoying themselves more and more as the gig went on. Apparently they don't care about late fees as much as they did at the first O2 gig either - they didn't start Satisfaction until after 11!

One of the major downsides of last night was the number of people in our area that were going in and out, for beer or piss breaks or whatever. I can't believe that with the price of the tickets even up where we were, that so many people were fine missing 10 to 15 minutes of the show, some of them more than once. Our section also really cleared out before the encore.

As I said earlier, my main gripe is with the order of the setlist. It flows pretty poorly. Some of the hits feel like they're just thrown in there because they're expected to be played (Start Me Up is a great example, it really doesn't work mid-set at all). There were also momentum issues - namely doing Gimme Shelter and Wild Horses back-to-back, as well as doing the two new songs back-to-back. For the most part I'm more than happy with the song choices this time around - the one notable exception would be I would've liked to see one or two songs from A Bigger Bang again. Otherwise, the band are in great form. I don't think they've quite hit their stride in this run of shows yet, but the Stones when they haven't hit their stride is still a hell of a lot better than most other bands at their stride.

All in all, I'm very happy I went. I certainly wouldn't have paid more than I did, but I can't say I was let down by any means. If they tour next year, you should try and catch a show if you can...I know I will! :)

I'll post some pictures tonight, and I may have audio on Dime by tomorrow.

Thanks for the review Power...really surprised at the flow of the show as based on the Shine a Light video it showed Mick putting lots of thought and time into selecting the setlists even considering things like type of venue, locatoin of the show, etc....

I have to believe considering how much money they put into preparing for these gigs, rehearsals, stage cost etc., and how well they are going that there will me more shows to come in 2013

Hopefully the ticket prices will be more reasonable but considering they had no problems selling these five shows I expect it to be the new norm. Looking forward to next Saturday's PPV as it may be the only way I will see them live this tour unless I can score a cheap ticket the night of the show if they come to New England next year.........

Thanks for the review Power...really surprised at the flow of the show as based on the Shine a Light video it showed Mick putting lots of thought and time into selecting the setlists even considering things like type of venue, locatoin of the show, etc....

I have to believe considering how much money they put into preparing for these gigs, rehearsals, stage cost etc., and how well they are going that there will me more shows to come in 2013

Hopefully the ticket prices will be more reasonable but considering they had no problems selling these five shows I expect it to be the new norm. Looking forward to next Saturday's PPV as it may be the only way I will see them live this tour unless I can score a cheap ticket the night of the show if they come to New England next year.........

I'd plan on next year likely being about the price of the Bigger Bang tour. Ronnie did say at some point that they need to charge that much since they're doing all this work for five shows. I mean, there's no way they could charge the prices they did this year in stadiums next year...

Regarding the setlist, that's purely subjective. I'm sure there's people out there that think this setlist flows great - I'm just not one of them :lol:

I'd plan on next year likely being about the price of the Bigger Bang tour. Ronnie did say at some point that they need to charge that much since they're doing all this work for five shows. I mean, there's no way they could charge the prices they did this year in stadiums next year...

Regarding the setlist, that's purely subjective. I'm sure there's people out there that think this setlist flows great - I'm just not one of them :lol:

Jeez, I hope you are right about ticket prices as I would love to see a couple of shows if they come this way but I just can't justify paying the ticket prices they were asking for these 5 shows for nosebleeds when I was on the floor for all 5 ABB tour shows I saw last tour for $150.00 a ticket...even had 5th row seats in front of Keef at the Fenway Park opener last tour for that price right off of ticketmaster on a fan club presale......

I agree they could not get those prices for Stadium shows but if they do a limited Arena tour in big cities I have a bad feeling the prices will not come down. Now if they do another large tour like the ABB tour then we may get lucky with lower prices but I don't see them ever being the same as the last tour...Can't see Mick doing that considering how well the N.J./NY shows sold.......

Edited by classicrawker

First couple pictures:

Io0dnl.jpg

f5o58l.jpg

It appears NYCBC was there last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xGl7iaqbE

I'm on the fence about if I should buy it from them. I don't want to support them at all, especially after having an argument with one of them last week over a Maiden video where they're clearly acting unfairly, but it is the Stones...