What would be the single most greatest thing

gunsguy

There are so many that stand out.

1)The first gig at the Troubadour 6/6/85 I already knew all the guys from seeing them in other bands but, seeing them all together in this band for the first time, really stood out. It was different this time.

post-37284-0-33394100-1350402598_thumb.j

2)Hearing their first demo and knowing that when they put out a record it was going to sound really good when they find a real producer to catch their sound.

3)seeing them be able to write their own music and it being so good. Also watching them come up with a new song every month that just would knock you off your feet.

4) The Street Scene gig 9/28/85 seeing them maintain the stage and handle that very rowdy crowd that was about 2,000 deep after only playing for about 100 people before that gig. They just looked like they were Zeppelin or Aerosmith up their that day. That was when I knew that this was really going to work.

post-37284-0-89992100-1350402646_thumb.j

5) Seeing them sell out their first gig as a headliner at the Troubadour 11/22/85 and also their next headlining gig also at the Troubadour 1/4/86 both of those gigs I had helped them with a full page ad in Bam magazine and seeing that that ad had work was great.

post-37284-0-02831600-1350402683_thumb.j

6) They wrote "Nightrain" and "My Michelle" 2 weeks apart. Xmas 1985

7) Seeing the band get signed to Geffen Records and knowing that it was going to work because the music they wrote, their sound, their image, the vocals, the guitar playing were top notch.

8) 8/86 seeing them put together SCOM and Brownstone in the same week

9) Seeing them open up for Ted Nugent at the Santa Monica Civic 8/30/85 and seeing them win over that crowd of 4,000 people. They looked and sounded great. They got a great response.

post-37284-0-07765500-1350403075_thumb.j

10)"It's So Easy" knock me off my feet. What a fucking knock down blow that song is.

11) Hearing AFD for the first time when it was done.

12) seeing them open for the cult at the Long Beach arena in 1987

13 watching WTTJ hit top 10 rotation on MTV and knowing that this was it for the band. This was going to show the world who they were. Then the 1988 Ritz gig came soon after and that really helped too. I remember watching that live and being so proud that my friends were on stage showing the world their shit.

14) 1988 touring with Aerosmith

15) Seing SCOM and "Paradice City" videos take over MTV

16) opening up for the Stones 4 shows in Los Angeles

17) UYI and NOV Rain and Estrange seeing the light of day.

18) 5 headlining nights in Los Angeles 8/91 4 at the forum and 1 in costa Mesa

19)Axl spinning as he was coming out to finish the song with Elton John and the Freddie Mercury Tribute.

20) stadium tours

21 Hearing Axl's Vocals on the the chinese democracy demos for the first time after all those years.

22) catching Axl's Mic at the inland invasion 2006

• Like 4

Thanks Marc, I figured it would be impossible to nail down just one thing as there are so many, thank you very much for the most detailed of answers :thumbsup:

The stuff you highlighted are some major moments for sure, glad you took the time to share them :)

You have some amazing memories of this band!

Edited by gunsguy

Holy shit Marc - what a list ! I got goosebumps just reading through it !

I can sense through your descriptions that you have experienced some immense pride throughout the years watching your friends become so talented and conquering the world. Just Amazing....

Can i further ask you a couple of questions ? ( I could ask you a million questions but I must refrain :) )

1) Do you remember where you exactly were when you heard AFD first time in it's official recorded form? Where was it, who were you with and was it on tape or record etc... ?

2) When you caught the Mic off Axl was it just pure luck or did he see you and pick you out ?

Cheers,

Scott

Holy shit Marc - what a list ! I got goosebumps just reading through it !

I can sense through your descriptions that you have experienced some immense pride throughout the years watching your friends become so talented and conquering the world. Just Amazing....

Can i further ask you a couple of questions ? ( I could ask you a million questions but I must refrain :) )

1) Do you remember where you exactly were when you heard AFD first time in it's official recorded form? Where was it, who were you with and was it on tape or record etc... ?

2) When you caught the Mic off Axl was it just pure luck or did he see you and pick you out ?

Cheers,

Scott

I was sitting on the couch at Hell House and Slash gave me a tape and I put it into my walk man. How ever that tape was not mastered yet. The real one I played on my turn table the day the record came out. I bought a whole stack of them from Aaron's Records on Melrose.

The mic was half luck and half knowing about how far Axl can throw it. Axl had no idea that it was heading my way. Also I was the only one who knew it was coming, So I had the jump on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Marc,

First off, I'm sure it's been said many times before, but it is just fucking awesome that you have an account here and are so forthcoming with all of the questions from us superfans. Just so cool man, we all owe you a debt of gratitude..this board has seen some dark times, like 2003-2004, 2005-CD's release in 2008(with the exception of the 06 tour). You simply being here gives me a little excitement, just the thought of finding out something new about my favorite band. So thanks a lot for everything you contribute here!

I noticed you mentioned the RIP Magazine Party in 1998... Was that a typo intended to be 1988? If not, what happened in '98..? To my knowledge the only stuff that happened that year was axl getting arrested at sky harbor intl. Airport here in Phoenix..