Exclusive: Axl Rose Interview

Un42nutzly

I do feel for Axl in a sense. It's great that he's increasing his exposure to his fans and attempting to provide insight into what happened with the band, how it operates, and where he sees things going forward. As a fan, all we're looking for are reasons to continue supporting the person we champion. He's been a great frontman and has much to offer as a songwriter and musician. I have no doubt that what Axl wants is very similar to what many fans who frequent fan forums like this one: a viable, productive, relative and successful Guns N' Roses. Moreover, I believe Axl to be very sincere in his answers; he's not attempting to pull one over on people - his experiences and perceptions fuel his public sentiments.

So I can't fault the guy for expressing of how he see things with respect to the old band and what has transpired with the band so far. Yet substantially, he consistently refuses to take any personal responsibility for any and all failures relating to the band. It would be difficult to substantiate his claims considering the mountain of evidence that contradicts some of his assertions (as noted by users above). Look, I think it's great that Axl is expressing his view on the subjects us fans are most interested about, but to accept them cart blanche is to ignore what many others have said throughout the years. My hope is that Axl continues to make his case and perhaps it clears things up for the fans, but at the same time, i don't think it's inappropriate for fans to question the more suspicious claims he makes in these interviews.

Great to see Axl doing more interviews.

Should lose the blaming everybody else for everything that goes wrong thing though.

No kidding. How do you think this comes across to most people?

50 year old Axl just blamed an ex girlfriend who dumped him 20 years ago for his inability to write songs...I mean I sorta get mentioning Slash and Duff (par for the course for him) but to blame a chick who he hasn't seen in 2 decades in a national interview...Odd.

He was talking about his songwriting during the break-up of the "old" band and the release of CD. Try reading what is actually said...

He was talking about the effect that the break-up of his marriage had on his songwriting hence the "writers block" in the title of the article. Axl take more than his share of blame ("I've never been able to be on time etc...) it'd be nice if some other, older members of the band did likewise, so publicly.

Should lose the blaming everybody else for everything that goes wrong thing though.

He does blame people when things go wrong.

INCLUDING himself (see TMS episode talking about being late etc).

I think Axl is just being honest. He was writing songs probably like This I Love, Catcher, TWAT etc and those guys were like fuck doing these songs. Izzy basically dropped out of the epics on UYI. I think that's why UYI is so big it's like 5 solo albums.

50 year old Axl just blamed an ex girlfriend who dumped him 20 years ago for his inability to write songs...I mean I sorta get mentioning Slash and Duff (par for the course for him) but to blame a chick who he hasn't seen in 2 decades in a national interview...Odd.

He was talking about his songwriting during the break-up of the "old" band and the release of CD. Try reading what is actually said...

He was talking about the effect that the break-up of his marriage had on his songwriting hence the "writers block" in the title of the article. Axl take more than his share of blame ("I've never been able to be on time etc...) it'd be nice if some other, older members of the band did likewise, so publicly.

He does blame people when things go wrong.

INCLUDING himself (see TMS episode talking about being late etc).

What else did he admit for aside from being late?

maybe it just wasn't Axl's fault?

Yeah, and maybe the increase in storm and hurrican activity in the last ten years has nothing to do with climate change. <_<

You seem to be fond of speaking in hysterics. Can you provide specific examples of things Axl unfairly and inaccurately blamed on other people?

You really want to get into this? I mean, we could spend the rest of this thread arguing over this kind of stuff or just discuss the fact that Axl gave an interview to a major media outlet. As my joke about climate change above alludes to, substantiating your claim would be like substantiating climate change to someone who simply won't believe it. There are just too many examples of Axl faulting others for the failures relating to Guns N' Roses. But you would likely not accept any evidence that would support the argument of Axl blaming others for problems.

You seriously consider it histyrical lanugage to point out that Axl never takes any personal responsibility for where the band sits today? You might be a little too sensitive if that's how you interpret Groghan's comments (or perhaps you're simply sensitive to Groghran himself).

Edited by downzy

Some comments from me on the interview:

First off, great that Axl is doing this. It is interesting, entertaining and it will do the band good.

Fascinating how he refers to the early shows as being destructive with lots of pain. There is no doubt Axl is at a better place nowadays, we might not see him rambling as much or hitting his mike stand, but I actually prefer an Axl who is content and smiling even it it takes some aggression out of the shows.

I wish he wasn't talking so much about the past, although I realize that is as much the interviewer's fault as his. I prefer Axl talking about the future, where GN'R is heading, rather than on what went wrong. It is soooo 1996.

It doesn't seem like a new record is imminent, but cool to hear from the man himself he wants to be a creating artist. My guess is now that a new record will be released in 2015, although I will be more surprised if it happens sooner than later.

It seems like his reclusiveness is a direct result of how he feels he has been treated by the media through the years. I hope he can break the cycle by continuing doing interviews that portray him in a better light, like the Jim Kimmel thingy.

All in all, good stuff!

It`s not necessarily blaming everyone else for his own problems and failues it`s just the way he percieves things and everything that happens around him whether it`s right or wrong is very debatable still wonder how Steph Seymour effected his songwriting was he more focused on her vagina then on songs ? well, can`t blame him

How the original band might have lasted: "Maybe if we could have worked together in the way Appetite was put together. I was really naïve. I thought the success of that record would bring everyone together more. It did the exact opposite. They got success and wanted to run in their own directions. I thought they'd go, 'Whoa, it did work.' But they wanted to do their own huge bigger success off of Guns."

So they wanted the keyboard player, back up singers, ballads, pianos, 10 minute songs?

All Axl could have done is gone along with whatever those guys wanted to do. Like do the Snakepit album material. maybe even bowed out of doing Nov Rain and Estranged. put out a quick record after Lies of what they had. Don't Cry and You could Be Mine and Heaven's Door would have carried them. I think then anything could happened. Stevie could have died, maybe Slash. I'm not sure anyone could stop Izzy leaving. There's so many factors, for Axl to be to blame more than anyone else would actually take special skills. We may be just getting Nov Rain now on a solo album and GNR had a successful career like ACDC. It's like like whole another multiverse.

Did he say that? I didn't see her name within the quotes.

I didn't read things he said as excuses, more explanation. And heavy times in your life certainly can affect your abilities. Have you never had a bad break up and not had it wreck you for a while. An ex of mine said he stared at a tv for a year after we broke up. These were bad break ups for Axl.

I find it amazing he was so candid. There didn't seem to be a restriction to the questions. Wonder why?

So it is your preference to insist that Axl unfairly and inaccurately blames others rather than provide specific examples? How are we supposed to have a discussion if nobody will actually say what it is they feel Axl isn't being honest about?

It's so easy to vaguely criticize people if you never have to point out something specific to support your premise.

I'd rather not put in the effort to factually debate someone who would despute any evidence given. Like I said, it's like talking to a climate change denier about climate change. What's the point of providing evidence if you're only going to dispute any instance given. But for the sake of argument (which is what I'm also attempting to avoid, since it does little good in degrading such a thread into a "here's how Axl is great/here's how he's awesome" discussion), I'll simply repost what was already posted earlier in this thread:

I do have some gripes though. He is still putting a lot of the blame on the old lineup.

He blames Duff/Slash for his writer's block.

He says they and Izzy brought him guitar parts and expected him to just write lyrics, and they didn't all work as a unit in studio. But honestly, Axl showed up so late after the band had been dicking around and wasting time in the studio for how long? I recall them saying he'd sometimes show up several hours late at like 3 or 4 in the morning. I'd like for once to hear him say it's his fault also.

Edit: Not to mention he pushed to record in Chicago then didn't show up for weeks.

Cool interview - whether or not you agree or disagree with Axl, it's nice to hear his voice, his perspective and his opinions. I still hope that one day the old band can get back together... but I do admire that he believes so strongly that he hasn't jumped on the reunion cash train. That would probably be the easy way out. Maybe they'll work it out one day, maybe they won't... but interviews like this are a good thing.

I'd rather not put in the effort to factually debate someone who would despute any evidence given.

More hysterics. Anticipating a debate over statements that haven't even been made. Ready to dispute my position when my position hasn't even been expressed.

You and Groghan need to stop with the constant straw man arguments and have actual discussions with live humans.

I believe Axl is to blame for plenty. I'm curious to know though why you think it's better to hide behind vague criticisms rather than point out specific examples of Axl blaming others for things you believe are his fault.

This section is called discussion and news. Someone posted the news. Now we're having a discussion. How are we supposed to discuss things if people are refusing to express why they believe what they believe?

Thanks for picking out one sentence in my post and ignoring everything else I had to say. I did provide you an example. So if you do believe that Axl is to be blamed for plenty, why do you insist on me writing a litany of reasons why I think that? I do so for two reasons: one, I seriously don't want to put in the effort to chronical something that seems pretty obvious to anyone at all familiar; two, I don't want this thread to descend into petty bickering over whether Axl is at fault or not. Too often you hear people complain that threads often follow the same pattern, and by starting a chronical of Axl's ills, I would only be fueling the irritation that many posters feel.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, I think it's great that Axl is talking to the media and getting his story out. I don't subscribe to everything Slash and Duff has to say on the subject, but I won't buy wholesale Axl's version either. But I don't want to contribute to lowering the conversation. I'll leave that to others.

Good interview. Cool to get a little insight on how Axl sees how things went down in the past. I think his truth is as valid as Slash's and Duff's. Guess the real truth lies somewhere in the middle. Also, nice to see him talk about new music.

And he owns wolves? How cool is that?!