Rose Eyes Indian Democracy

BBA

The American rock band, considered one of the most successful acts of late 1980s and early 1990s, still lingers in the memories of fans that were once mesmerized by the uncanny guitar playing by Slash and lively showmanship of bassist Duff McKagan, guitarist Izzy Stradlin and drummer Steven Adler, along with Rose's on-stage antics.

The departure of original members did leave a gap in its popularity in 1990s which it is yet to recover. However, the band remembered the most for its 'pre-breakup' hits (though the band officially never broke up), is set to enthrall the Indian audience with the front man's on-stage charisma and hugely popular songs like November Rain, Paradise City, Welcome to the jungle and Sweet Child of Mine.

"GNR without Slash is like a hamburger without ham," says Rakshit Purohit, a self-confessed 33-year-old music buff, whose first English record was GNR's Use Your Illusion.

"In the 90s, GNR was a huge phenomenon. We tried to dress up like Rose, covering our heads with bandanas and wearing narrow bottom tight pants like Slash. But then the band decided to part ways, though Rose stayed on to release more albums, and it was not the same as before," he says.

Thousands of Indians, many even in their thirties and late twenties, have been ardent fans of the band when in the heights of its success. Many have even prayed to the god for the band to re-emerge in its former glory. Though this may not be the case, the opportunity to see GNR, minus Slash and others, is too good a deal for many to let go.

"Perhaps the band would have never made it to the country if they were still super famous," says Sophia D'Souza, an event management executive and a fan of GNR, who has in the past helped to host several rock concerts.

"Look at the international rock bands that come to India, most of them are past their prime in the West while others have a bigger fan following in India than their native countries," she says.

That GNR has never found as much success with Rose's new avatar as compared to their 'pre-breakup' days, and with Rose's dislike of his former band mates only dividing the fans of the band, many are confused whether their loyalty lies with the flamboyant but often unpredictable front man Rose or the stylish guitarist Slash, known for wearing his heart on his sleeves. "Slash is one of the better rock guitarists who has inspired a generation of guitarists. I picked up my guitar after seeing Slash on the video of November Rain. My passion for music was thus inculcated by Slash," says Siddharth R, a guitarist who currently composes jingles for advertising agencies.

pixel.gif

" I will not watch the concert as everything that Slash and Co represented in GNR has been destroyed by the high-handedness of Rose. They didn't even come out with one decent song after Rose and Slash parted ways," he says.

Meanwhile, tickets for Guns N' Roses concert are flying off the shelf, claim the organizers of the concert.

"The demand is surging for all the three cities. We encourage fans not to miss out on this experience of a lifetime and get their tickets now," Karamjeet Singh, senior vice president, MOOZ Entertainment, said in a statement.

With over 80 outlets for concert tickets opening up in the past few weeks in the capital alone, and a considerable number of outlets mushrooming in Bangalore just before the concert, it is not very difficult to get a feel of the popularity the band still enjoys in the developing country.

"I've always wanted to play in India," Rose recently told the media. "We've tried to make that happen, but for whatever reasons it just didn't work out."

He added "I'm interested in having a personal, first-hand understanding of spirituality and religion as well as politics and government in India.''

It seems despite the relative failure of GNR's 2008 release Chinese Democracy, the 50-year-old front man still believes that he can cast a spell on the world's largest democracy.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-12-04/pune/35593597_1_gnr-izzy-stradlin-band

HV - edited the thread title to reflect the title of the article.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the source, the point he made stands.

Regardless of the source, the point he made stands.

it is an opinon, it doesnt mean shit. some guy named rakshit making an opinion doesnt make an opinion any more valid than anyone elses .

The American rock band, considered one of the most successful acts of late 1980s and early 1990s, still lingers in the memories of fans that were once mesmerized by the uncanny guitar playing by Slash and lively showmanship of bassist Duff McKagan, guitarist Izzy Stradlin and drummer Steven Adler, along with Rose's on-stage antics.

The departure of original members did leave a gap in its popularity in 1990s which it is yet to recover. However, the band remembered the most for its 'pre-breakup' hits (though the band officially never broke up), is set to enthrall the Indian audience with the front man's on-stage charisma and hugely popular songs like November Rain, Paradise City, Welcome to the jungle and Sweet Child of Mine.

"GNR without Slash is like a hamburger without ham," says Rakshit Purohit, a self-confessed 33-year-old music buff, whose first English record was GNR's Use Your Illusion.

"In the 90s, GNR was a huge phenomenon. We tried to dress up like Rose, covering our heads with bandanas and wearing narrow bottom tight pants like Slash. But then the band decided to part ways, though Rose stayed on to release more albums, and it was not the same as before," he says.

Thousands of Indians, many even in their thirties and late twenties, have been ardent fans of the band when in the heights of its success. Many have even prayed to the god for the band to re-emerge in its former glory. Though this may not be the case, the opportunity to see GNR, minus Slash and others, is too good a deal for many to let go.

"Perhaps the band would have never made it to the country if they were still super famous," says Sophia D'Souza, an event management executive and a fan of GNR, who has in the past helped to host several rock concerts.

"Look at the international rock bands that come to India, most of them are past their prime in the West while others have a bigger fan following in India than their native countries," she says.

That GNR has never found as much success with Rose's new avatar as compared to their 'pre-breakup' days, and with Rose's dislike of his former band mates only dividing the fans of the band, many are confused whether their loyalty lies with the flamboyant but often unpredictable front man Rose or the stylish guitarist Slash, known for wearing his heart on his sleeves. "Slash is one of the better rock guitarists who has inspired a generation of guitarists. I picked up my guitar after seeing Slash on the video of November Rain. My passion for music was thus inculcated by Slash," says Siddharth R, a guitarist who currently composes jingles for advertising agencies.

pixel.gif

" I will not watch the concert as everything that Slash and Co represented in GNR has been destroyed by the high-handedness of Rose. They didn't even come out with one decent song after Rose and Slash parted ways," he says.

Meanwhile, tickets for Guns N' Roses concert are flying off the shelf, claim the organizers of the concert.

"The demand is surging for all the three cities. We encourage fans not to miss out on this experience of a lifetime and get their tickets now," Karamjeet Singh, senior vice president, MOOZ Entertainment, said in a statement.

With over 80 outlets for concert tickets opening up in the past few weeks in the capital alone, and a considerable number of outlets mushrooming in Bangalore just before the concert, it is not very difficult to get a feel of the popularity the band still enjoys in the developing country.

"I've always wanted to play in India," Rose recently told the media. "We've tried to make that happen, but for whatever reasons it just didn't work out."

He added "I'm interested in having a personal, first-hand understanding of spirituality and religion as well as politics and government in India.''

It seems despite the relative failure of GNR's 2008 release Chinese Democracy, the 50-year-old front man still believes that he can cast a spell on the world's largest democracy.

http://articles.time...y-stradlin-band

You've reached a new low in your attempt to project your opinion of the current GN'R onto the general public by quoting "Rakshit Purohit", a random "self-confessed 33-year-old music buff".

You're a dedicated cupcake, I'll give you that.

Ali