Sum up each year of your life musically

Vincent Vega

Using a song or several songs, sum up each year from your life musically. Must be a song that either came out before, or during that year. My example:

1990: Disappear (INXS).

1991: Shiny Happy People (R.E.M.), The Garden (GN'R), Don't Damn Me (GN'R), Sad But True (Metallica), , Blue Moon (The Marcels), Factory Girl (The Rolling Stones)

1992: No Rain (Blind Melon), Alive (Pearl Jam), Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith)

1993: New Rose (GN'R), Summer Breeze (Type O Negative), Frankenstein (Edgar Winter)

1994: Loser (Beck), Pay No Mind (Beck), Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden), Human Behavior (Bjork), Lithium (Nirvana), Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen), Shine (Collective Soul), Sympathy for The Devil (GN'R), Circle of Life (Lion King)

1995: Box of Rain (Grateful Dead), Zombie (The Cranberries), Touch of Grey (Grateful Dead), Ode to My Family (The Cranberries), I Know You're Fuckin' Someone Else (Type O Negative), Rock N' Roll Hootchie Koo (Rick Derringer), Gangsta's Paradise (Coolio), All That Theme (TLC)

1996: Macarena, It's The End of the World As We Know It (R.E.M.), Humans Being (Van Halen), Anxious Disease (The Outpatience), Bleeding Me (Metallica), Walk on Water (Ozzy Osbourne), Boot Camp (Soundgarden), The Bells of Notre Dame (Hunchback of Notre Dame), My Little Man (Ozzy Osbourne), People Who Died (Jim Carroll Band). I Wanna Riot (Rancid & Sublime)

Edited by Vincent Vega

Miser if you think I'm going to read through that list and imagine every song and what the song means and then make the connection of that relating somehow to your life, then you misinterpret how much time and mental energy a working person has at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

And I can't imagine that anyone would be interested in reading my list either.

I can't even be bothered making my own list, so how in fuck is anyone going to be bothered reading it?

Miser if you think I'm going to read through that list and imagine every song and what the song means and then make the connection of that relating somehow to your life, then you misinterpret how much time and mental energy a working person has at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

I can't even be bothered making my own list, so how in fuck is anyone going to be bothered reading it?

Also I'm fucked if I know what happened to me on what year anyway.

I am defintely bothered to read your list. No jokes.

okay, I'll play along, but on my own terms...I'm mostly just going to go by whatever band/album(s) I found myself uncharacteristically drawn to for that year. I have a very defined taste in music (not REFINED). Simply put, I will expand outside of rock/metal music, but the simple fact is that I can't listen to most other types of songs over and over again. I'm going to start when I first bought music.

1999 - Metallica - Metallica

2000 - Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

2001 - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

2002 - Guns N' Roses/CKY/MixMasterMike

2003 - The Darkness

2004 - Motorhead/Velvet Revolver

2005 - Pantera

2006 - Judas Priest

2007 - Rammstein

2008 - Type O Negative - Dead Again

2009 - Dio era Black Sabbath

2010 - Megadeth

2011 - Just a lot of neo-thrash in general. Warbringer, Lazarus AD, Trivium etc

2012 - Alice In Chains

Did you die at the end of 96?

I don't know which songs would fit 1997 well, '98 I don't remember well. I've blocked out most of '99 and onward until around 2003. Don't really know what songs would fit 2003-2008 or 2009-present.

Just for fun's sake, do you have any ideas about what songs/albums/artists you listened to/enjoyed the most during those years?

1991: Shiny Happy People (R.E.M.) - I chose this song because 1991 was my infanthood and my nephews; My nephew and I are born 12 days apart in 1990. It's a lighthearted, upbeat, innocent sort of childish sounding song. Sort of captures the aura of the photos of me and my family and nephew from that era. Sort of the upbeatness of the beginning of a new era.

The Garden (GN'R)-- I picked this one because the music reminds me of the pictures as well and the fact that the idea of 1991 as this great time is sort of an illusion, like The Garden

Don't Damn Me (GN'R)--Picked this because it sums up my family in some ways

Sad But True (Metallica)- My father's actions drunkenness etc through the spring and summer of 1991.

Blue Moon (The Marcels)- It was playing in the background in one of our home movies from August 1991

Factory Girl (The Rolling Stones) - Playing in the background in a home movie from August 1991

1992: No Rain (Blind Melon)- Again, childhood innocence, infancy, promise, beauty. I look at pictures of my nephew and I and my family pumpkin picking in Fall '92 and think of this.

Alive (Pearl Jam) - '92 was a bad year in some ways but I came out of it OK.

Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith)- My sister had me rocking out to this song in a March '92 home movie

1994: Loser (Beck)- y sister had me memorize the chorus to this song within a month of it's release. She had me singing the chorus and had it totally memorized by April 1994. It was my theme song I sang often and always wanted to hear. We'd just moved into our new apartment in February 1994.

Pay No Mind (Beck)- Basically the daily doldrums of life in that year. Things are going better but daily life is a struggle even in the best year

Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden)- The sad yet beautiful summer of 1994. My second nephew was born.

Human Behavior (Bjork)- Captures the general feel, musically, of my memories of the summer of '94

Lithium (Nirvana)- Musically, reminds me a lot of that time. The memories are bittersweet, like the music, because I miss this time so much.

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)- My sister and Wayne's World (bought that year at McDonalds on VHS) had me hooked on it. It was my obsesion.

Shine (Collective Soul)- Again, a light hearted sort of song.

Sympathy for The Devil (GN'R)- A wicked fun song to cap off what was generally a great year

Circle of Life (Lion King)- Again, a second encore to cap off the year and the beauty of the birth and renewal that comes with a new member to the family.

1995: Box of Rain (Grateful Dead)--This song was always playing at my dad's apartment in this year and it sums up the sort of blissful beauty of this year, as my childhood memories perceive it. Just the beauty of life and the beauty of my happiest memories. Life is beautiful.

Zombie (The Cranberries)- Heard this song also all the time. Whenever I think of my dad's apartment, this song is in my mind.

Touch of Grey (Grateful Dead)--My dad bought a black Ford Bronco II in 1995 and he named the car Touch of Grey, with the name on the fender, after this song, and I heard it a hell of a lot in '95.

Ode to My Family (The Cranberries)--A mellow song by the Cranberries also heard much that year.

I Know You're Fuckin' Someone Else (Type O Negative)--My sister's general cynicism with our household was growing, this song was her voice mail message downstairs (we lived on the first floor, she lived in the basement)

Rock N' Roll Hootchie Koo (Rick Derringer)--My dad always played this or sung it as we cruised around in his bronco in this year.

All That Theme (TLC)--I quickly made a LOT of longlasting childhood friends in '95 as I entered Kindergarten. This to me is sort of the theme song for our little band.

1996: Macarena-- Heard it EVERYWHERE. At my sister's sweet sixteen in the spring of '96, at school events, at our family reunion that summer. That song was everywhere that year.

It's The End of the World As We Know It (R.E.M.)--My dad basically pushed and forced through us moving from NY to NJ in December of 1996, capitalizing on my mother's depression and my school issues, but it was a move only he wanted. It changed a lot and that move still is one of the worst decisions we ever made and still bites us in the ass today.

Humans Being (Van Halen)--The anger between my parent as they fought a lot that year, my sister moving out, a lot of turbulence

Anxious Disease (The Outpatience)--That summer, a lot of things happening, me reacting badly to all of it.

Bleeding Me (Metallica)-Just the general feeling of the year as I remember it, also my sister moving out because she couldn't take it anymore, the effect it had on me.

Walk on Water (Ozzy Osbourne)--The general musical sound of it reminds me of that summer.

Boot Camp (Soundgarden)--Same sentiments as bleeding me.

The Bells of Notre Dame (Hunchback of Notre Dame)--A powerful theme which is suitable for opening up what was one of the most tumultous, busy, wild years in my life.

My Little Man (Ozzy Osbourne)--My dad and I's closeness throughout 1996, going on trips together, the fuzziness and bittersweet feeling of those memories.

People Who Died (Jim Carroll Band)---A song my dad played often in this period

I Wanna Riot (Rancid & Sublime) -- Sums up the feel of the four different vacations we went on that year.

I don't know which songs would fit 1997 well, '98 I don't remember well. I've blocked out most of '99 and onward until around 2003. Don't really know what songs would fit 2003-2008 or 2009-present.

Just for fun's sake, do you have any ideas about what songs/albums/artists you listened to/enjoyed the most during those years?

'97 still Zombie by Cranberries and People Who Died by Jim Carroll. We moved to NJ from NY and settled in on January 1st 1997. A gigantic change in my life. My dog Jackie was killed by a car in the spring of '97 which was VERY traumatic to me, my mother ended up in a coma and nearly died, I remember her being blue in the face, most of the year was spent working day and night on our new house--a house which I hated, which creeped me out. My dad hit me in the lung, making me gasp for breath, sometime early that year in our new home. Before the furniture was moved in, we slept on mattresses on the floor in what would become the computer room. We rented a bunch of movies like Dragonheart and watched them together. Most of that year was work, work, work. I lost touch with all but two of my childhood friends because of our move. I very nearly died at Sesame Place in August 1997 when I was on a water ride. I somehow fell out of my raft on some sort of water ride that went down a long tunnel like tube. I remember rolling down the tube, under water, keeping my head up. I came down into the waiting area--the waiting pool at the end of the ride--my back was all red and raw from tumbling down the tube. It is a miracle that I never drowned nor was hit by another raft.

'98 I discovered Paint it Black by the Stones when my parents rented The Devil's Advocate...I became obsessed with the Stones in '98 and got their album, Through the Past, Darkly, for my birthday in 1998. I also got a record player and was allowed access to my dad's vinyl collection. My dad's substance abuse began to increase to the point that I began to notice it; He had a DUI that year. If I could get access to my parent's record collection I could find out what I was listening to, but I do know that the Stones and their mid 60s psychedelic songs were one of my favorites. Ruby Tuesday, Mother's Little Helper, Paint it Black, Dandelion, 2000 Lightyears from Home were all big that year. I never enjoyed modern music. I do remember that song "Turn the lights off, carry me home" forget who sang it--it was always played on the school bus on the ride home from school.

Around '00 or so I got into Limp Bizkit and tried to listen to some other modern tunes but I forget the others. I think Linkin Park. But I did like Limp Bizkit a lot.

2001--Became heavily into GN'R and Led Zeppelin and listened to both obsessively.

Edited by Vincent Vega

'97 still Zombie by Cranberries and People Who Died by Jim Carroll. We moved to NJ from NY and settled in on January 1st 1997. A gigantic change in my life. My dog Jackie was killed by a car in the spring of '97 which was VERY traumatic to me, my mother ended up in a coma and nearly died, I remember her being blue in the face, most of the year was spent working day and night on our new house--a house which I hated, which creeped me out. My dad hit me in the lung, making me gasp for breath, sometime early that year in our new home. Before the furniture was moved in, we slept on mattresses on the floor in what would become the computer room. We rented a bunch of movies like Dragonheart and watched them together. Most of that year was work, work, work. I lost touch with all but two of my childhood friends because of our move. I very nearly died at Sesame Place in August 1997 when I was on a water ride. I somehow fell out of my raft on some sort of water ride that went down a long tunnel like tube. I remember rolling down the tube, under water, keeping my head up. I came down into the waiting area--the waiting pool at the end of the ride--my back was all red and raw from tumbling down the tube. It is a miracle that I never drowned nor was hit by another raft.

'98 I discovered Paint it Black by the Stones when my parents rented The Devil's Advocate...I became obsessed with the Stones in '98 and got their album, Through the Past, Darkly, for my birthday in 1998. I also got a record player and was allowed access to my dad's vinyl collection. My dad's substance abuse began to increase to the point that I began to notice it; He had a DUI that year. If I could get access to my parent's record collection I could find out what I was listening to, but I do know that the Stones and their mid 60s psychedelic songs were one of my favorites. Ruby Tuesday, Mother's Little Helper, Paint it Black, Dandelion, 2000 Lightyears from Home were all big that year. I never enjoyed modern music. I do remember that song "Turn the lights off, carry me home" forget who sang it--it was always played on the school bus on the ride home from school.

Around '00 or so I got into Limp Bizkit and tried to listen to some other modern tunes but I forget the others. I think Linkin Park. But I did like Limp Bizkit a lot.

2001--Became heavily into GN'R and Led Zeppelin and listened to both obsessively.

Maybe you should be writing the screenplay to your life.