March 28th, 2013 - Abu Dhabi

Amir

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody keeps track when they started off opening with CD consistently?

Since Taipei '09, start of "proper" Chinese Democracy Tour. Only time it hasn't been opener at a major gig since was Roseland Ballroom NY gig in Feb '12.

I like the song and the intro guitars are cool but beyond that it doesn't really get the crowd pumped like Jungle does.

Damn, that stage seems pretty high, still a great place to be though!

Yeah, I was pretty torn on where to stand. In the end I decided it was Axl I was here to see, and I got some good photos (will upload more soon). Even towards the back of the Fan Pit area the stage seemed pretty high. Same dilemma with seeing them at EXIT in Serbia as well, if the damn teleprompter wasn't there I could actually see Frank :P In terms of distance I'm not sure if it was any further than O2 in London, though, I remember that seeming so far away compared to SECC in Glasgow. SECC was about same distance as the UCAP gig at House of Blues in Atlantic City.

I don't really see the point in it being *that* high, it could be like a metre lower and everybody at the back could still see just fine.

My last video, Jungle:

Cocks up the lyrics a bit, but for the most part it's pretty good.

Wow terrible phrasing due to him struggling for breath. Even with mostly a clean voice. Yowzers. And it certainty isn't because he's running around too much.

Guns N’ Roses memorable Abu Dhabi show

webAL31MR-GunsNRoses.jpg

For a band led by a singer who is notoriously late for concerts, it was a welcome sign of great things to come when Guns N’ Roses, and indeed Axl Rose, appeared, rather promptly, on stage at du Arena at 9.13pm on Thursday night.

We can forgive them those 13 minutes as they rewarded our patience with two and half hours of high-energy rock n’ roll. The line-up of members was the same as the last time they toured in Abu Dhabi in December 2010, but this time the show sounded even better for their long-term collaboration.

As the guitarist Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal told The National earlier in the week: “We’ve become like a family.” The band was gelled, tight and put on a memorable show. Every bit of it came across as genuine, even Rose himself, who laughed, smiled, danced, strutted and spun his way through the set with a few well-timed and good-natured microphone stand tosses.

For a man who is famously aloof and rarely does appearances outside of concerts, Rose’s outgoing on-stage personality – and multitude of hat and sunglasses costume changes – impressed. No lip synching from this guy – a physical performer, he ran himself breathless at times – yet Rose hit the right notes all the time, every time, proving he can still snarl, scream and roar.

The 28-song set kicked off with the title track and first song on the band’s latest album, Chinese Democracy, released in 2008.

Then a non-stop flurry of best-known hits and fan favourites, including Welcome to the Jungle, Mr Brownstone, Better and Rocket Queen, as well as the guitar-soaked Estranged, which wasn’t on the set list in 2010, came along before the guitarist Richard Fortus deftly delivered a stunning guitar solo.

The band’s cover of Wings’ Live and Let Die, last performed at the same venue by its original artist, Paul McCartney, in 2011, with jaw-dropping fireworks atop the du Arena, featured similarly timed pyrotechnics from behind the stage, giving the band the chance to pay tribute to McCartney without trumping his memorable performance. Continuing with classic rock covers, the keyboardist Dizzy Reed’s solo was a piano version of Led Zeppelin’s No Quarter.

The guitarist Dj Ashba connected with the crowd, perched on high, prompting for responses and encouraging sing-alongs. An absolutely original performer in a lead-guitar position that arguably replaces original member Slash, Ashba delivered his personal style and sound on most songs, including his solo, the self-composed Mi Amor.

It’s fair to say that Ashba respected the best-known Guns N’ Roses solos by playing what the fans wanted to hear the way they wanted to hear them, including on the anthemic ballad Sweet Child O’ Mine. Rose took a turn on the piano for a cover of Pink Floyd’s Another Brick in the Wall, which seamlessly segued into the epic November Rain.

The band performed a cover of Thal’s own song, Objectify, featuring the guitarist on lead vocals before Rose returned for the Use Your Illusion-era ballad Don’t Cry. Switching gears, Rose, Ashba, Fortus, Thal and the bassist Tommy Stinson continuously crossed paths on the stage, sprinting from side to side to rouse the crowd to sing along to the band’s famous cover of the Bob Dylan classic Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door. The band ended the set with Nightrain before returning for an encore with the classic acoustic Patience, a cover of The Who’s The Seeker and topping off the show with the crowd favourite, Paradise City.

Now, 26 years after the band’s debut album Appetite for Destruction was released, the songs still sound fresh. Songs that were originally recorded by five musicians sound even better performed by eight. Rose has assembled a face-lifted Guns N’ Roses with what comes across as a “more the merrier” mentality.

This century’s GN’R’s sound is deeper with three guitarists and two keyboardists, including Chris Pitman, and rounded out by powerhouse drummer Frank Ferrer. Each member brings the best of his personal influences to the stage to create an eclectic sound tied together by Rose’s familiar vocals. These are reasons why, nearly three decades on, Guns N’ Roses still fills stadiums.

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/guns-n-roses-memorable-abu-dhabi-show

Everybody else having a good time and DJ sucking Axl's dick.

Bruno don't be jealous :tongue2:
You see everyone else around, having fun and all but you always see DJ laughing like a girl when he's with Axl. And then there's the whole "Estranged and NR are nothing compared to Axl's epic new songs as they are a mix of AFD's angry songs and UYI's epicness". I mean, come on...

Quick Google says it's something that's done when changing hair plugs. Not knocking the guy, guess it's just something that happens with time/genetics (I'm almost 25 and I have less hair on my head than my dad who's 53, bit annoying :P ).

The girl to the right of Axl (the white one looking away, not the tanned one he's talking to) was dancing on the side of the stage during the concert. All I could think during the show was "DAYUMN, Axl" ;)

The girl to the right of Axl (the white one looking away, not the tanned one he's talking to) was dancing on the side of the stage during the concert. All I could think during the show was "DAYUMN, Axl" ;)

these girls are the russians twins, Axl is trying to take away from them on the other pic i've posted before

72051253271114018906.jpg

Guns N’ Roses memorable Abu Dhabi show

webAL31MR-GunsNRoses.jpg

For a band led by a singer who is notoriously late for concerts, it was a welcome sign of great things to come when Guns N’ Roses, and indeed Axl Rose, appeared, rather promptly, on stage at du Arena at 9.13pm on Thursday night.

We can forgive them those 13 minutes as they rewarded our patience with two and half hours of high-energy rock n’ roll. The line-up of members was the same as the last time they toured in Abu Dhabi in December 2010, but this time the show sounded even better for their long-term collaboration.

As the guitarist Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal told The National earlier in the week: “We’ve become like a family.” The band was gelled, tight and put on a memorable show. Every bit of it came across as genuine, even Rose himself, who laughed, smiled, danced, strutted and spun his way through the set with a few well-timed and good-natured microphone stand tosses.

For a man who is famously aloof and rarely does appearances outside of concerts, Rose’s outgoing on-stage personality – and multitude of hat and sunglasses costume changes – impressed. No lip synching from this guy – a physical performer, he ran himself breathless at times – yet Rose hit the right notes all the time, every time, proving he can still snarl, scream and roar.

The 28-song set kicked off with the title track and first song on the band’s latest album, Chinese Democracy, released in 2008.

Then a non-stop flurry of best-known hits and fan favourites, including Welcome to the Jungle, Mr Brownstone, Better and Rocket Queen, as well as the guitar-soaked Estranged, which wasn’t on the set list in 2010, came along before the guitarist Richard Fortus deftly delivered a stunning guitar solo.

The band’s cover of Wings’ Live and Let Die, last performed at the same venue by its original artist, Paul McCartney, in 2011, with jaw-dropping fireworks atop the du Arena, featured similarly timed pyrotechnics from behind the stage, giving the band the chance to pay tribute to McCartney without trumping his memorable performance. Continuing with classic rock covers, the keyboardist Dizzy Reed’s solo was a piano version of Led Zeppelin’s No Quarter.

The guitarist Dj Ashba connected with the crowd, perched on high, prompting for responses and encouraging sing-alongs. An absolutely original performer in a lead-guitar position that arguably replaces original member Slash, Ashba delivered his personal style and sound on most songs, including his solo, the self-composed Mi Amor.

It’s fair to say that Ashba respected the best-known Guns N’ Roses solos by playing what the fans wanted to hear the way they wanted to hear them, including on the anthemic ballad Sweet Child O’ Mine. Rose took a turn on the piano for a cover of Pink Floyd’s Another Brick in the Wall, which seamlessly segued into the epic November Rain.

The band performed a cover of Thal’s own song, Objectify, featuring the guitarist on lead vocals before Rose returned for the Use Your Illusion-era ballad Don’t Cry. Switching gears, Rose, Ashba, Fortus, Thal and the bassist Tommy Stinson continuously crossed paths on the stage, sprinting from side to side to rouse the crowd to sing along to the band’s famous cover of the Bob Dylan classic Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door. The band ended the set with Nightrain before returning for an encore with the classic acoustic Patience, a cover of The Who’s The Seeker and topping off the show with the crowd favourite, Paradise City.

Now, 26 years after the band’s debut album Appetite for Destruction was released, the songs still sound fresh. Songs that were originally recorded by five musicians sound even better performed by eight. Rose has assembled a face-lifted Guns N’ Roses with what comes across as a “more the merrier” mentality.

This century’s GN’R’s sound is deeper with three guitarists and two keyboardists, including Chris Pitman, and rounded out by powerhouse drummer Frank Ferrer. Each member brings the best of his personal influences to the stage to create an eclectic sound tied together by Rose’s familiar vocals. These are reasons why, nearly three decades on, Guns N’ Roses still fills stadiums.

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/guns-n-roses-memorable-abu-dhabi-show

Show after show the band keeps digging themselves a deeper hole to get out of.I guess they should have taken the daily advice offered by the Mommys Basement Management Team and Friends INC.

Edited by cbgnr

Went to have birthday brunch with family here in Abu Dhabi, bumped into a guy wearing the other shirt I was talking about (with the European Tour 2012 skull design on front), asked if I could take a photo of the back of his shirt:

MN1dOQm.jpg

Was there something similar done for Malaysia too or not?

Why does he sweat too much at his groin area? So apparent in all his pictures when performing.

You just made me notice that. :max::vomit:

They have always sweated buckets. Go watch some old concert footage. It's just that it's a little more attractive on semi naked twenty- something men than it is on middle aged guys wearing baggy jeans!

Most performers sweat a lot, stage lights get very hot.