What happened to Axl's voice: The Ultimate Discussion

Vincent Vega

Ever since Axl came back in 2001--with the exception of 2006 and 2010--his voice has been Mickey Mouse. On the Live Era re-recordings, which were done in 1998-1999, his voice was higher pitched but still powerful and still raspy. On Sympathy for the Devil in '94, he sounded pretty much the same as his old self. What happened between 1998 and 2001 to his voice? What happened to it between 2010 and now?

Some pin it down to Axl not practicing, but in the past, when Axl didn't practice, he still was able to have a raspy voice, even if it was too raspy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDDbBBUVug

Compare to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Np4GhmxlVQ

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl's voice has a lot of nasal work. He uses his nose a lot when singing

It's pretty easy to get a rasp, though. I can pull it off easily, but the result is a voice that sounds like Rio 1991. The part which is hard is controlling it. Axl had little control over it in a lot of the '91 shows probably due to a lack of training or practice plus not playing live for two years, whereas in '92 and '93 it sounded very controlled and not all over the place.

I think a combination of factors. For me the biggest indicator as to the reason is his bloated face. It suggests excessive alcohol intake or prescription medication, possibly anti-depressants.

Anti-depressants have horrible side effects, and the affect some people more than others. I'd be inclined to lean towards this as having seriously affected his voice, appearance and motivation, or lack of.

I think a combination of factors. For me the biggest indicator as to the reason is his bloated face. It suggests excessive alcohol intake or prescription medication, possibly anti-depressants.

Anti-depressants have horrible side effects, and the affect some people more than others. I'd be inclined to lean towards this as having seriously affected his voice, appearance and motivation, or lack of.

Could very well be this. I don't think it is a far stretch to say/think that Axl has taken anti-depressants at some stage.

I think it's related to his nose. He controls his voice with his nose and throat, but his nose is responsible for the breathing times. It seems Axl has some trouble breathing now as he's constantly going out of breath. This could be 2 things, either he's out of shape and hasn't done much Cardio lately and needs it really bad, or this is happening because of all these years of using oxygen, which is not healthy at all.

It could also be because Axl entered that phase where he will be aging a lot from now on.

I'd have to go along some explanation of this sort...

I think the shape he's in has a lot to do with it, he was in better shape in 2010 and he sounded 100x better. I also think he's holding back some, he can usually nail Jungle with tons of rasp and hit the rasp later in the show.

He was in better shape in 2002 and sounded like shit tho.

Speaking of nasal voices, I noticed that it's not just there when he sings, it is also apparent when he talks, these days. Vs back in the old days.

That video where he talked to a couple of fans about Slash passing out and he would pick the girls was high on nasal and made him sound like an extremely old man.

Speaking of nasal voices, I noticed that it's not just there when he sings, it is also apparent when he talks, these days. Vs back in the old days.

That video where he talked to a couple of fans about Slash passing out and he would pick the girls was high on nasal and made him sound like an extremely old man.

Nasal damage to his septum would indicate cocaine use. There have been lots of rumours but nothing concrete about Axl using coke. I do find it odd that him and Baz used to joke a lot about Splenda ie - coke.

It might also go some way to explain his erratic behaviour and seemingly legendary ability to drink, again according to Baz.

He also said years ago that coke fucked his throat up for days on end.

Again, it is all conjecture, but it would hardly be unusual.

It could be a case of just him not caring anymore? Maybe the record company don't want to release any new music. So, instead of pushing his voice, he's just going with the flow with the nostalgia tours. He's can still use the rasp like in the Philly show and the Better clip from the Vegas show. I don't think it's gone, I think maybe he just doesn't give a fuck anymore about using it. Sure, it seems selfish to not want to put on the best show possible for the paying customers, but this is Axl Rose were talking about. If the record company see no future in today's GN'R, I don't think Axl will too. That could be why were getting "Greatest Hit's" tours and Vegas residency's. Maybe Axl's "given up" on making this band a legit band. It's scary to think about, but it's entirely possible.

Or maybe he's on meds. During 2002 his voice was the same way. People interpreted it as him singing differently, but it could be something else. Maybe he's taking medication and it's screwing up his voice and his weight.

It's not gone, that's all I know. He could still pull out the rasp, so it's still there. But there's got to be a reason why he's not using it.

I think the reason why he's not using it is because he see's no reason to use it. It destroys his throat and takes a hell of a toll on him. I think going out in 2009 he still had some ambitious drive. He played every track except one off of CD. He even slimmed down by the end of the tour in 2010 and was giving the best vocals he had in a long time.

Either 2010 Fucked his throat up, or something happened attitude wise between 2010 and 2011. Maybe he figured since the band was so tight he didn't need to kill his throat anymore?

He used to also go from phases of being bloated to slimming down. That has NOT been the case 2011-2012. He's been bloated and puffy in almost every picture... indicating medication, alcohol, too many carbs or hell.. steroids.

I can't say for certain why he won't rasp, but I sure do miss it. Although if it's just going to be the same tour year in and year out with no new material, I don't blame him for not being motivated.

It's pretty easy to get a rasp, though. I can pull it off easily, but the result is a voice that sounds like Rio 1991.

I'm sure you sound like axl rose circa 91. That's why you're not selling out stadiums and instead talking about how axl doesn't bring it anymore but you sound like he did in his prime. Lol.