Sign in to follow this  
lukepowell1988

Favorite Queen Album?

A Night at the Opera is an amazing album and the only reason it's not in my top five is because it was the first non-compilation album of theirs I bought and I've listened to it so many times.

They're one of my facorite bands but I don't like to listen to their albums. The cery wide spectrum of genres means there are too many songs I don't like. I listen to my playlists or to individual songs or to live recordings.

That said, The Works gets my vote for its songs, but the whole thing sound vastly better live. It's near impossible to listen to the original versions of the songs after hearing them done live.

They're one of my facorite bands but I don't like to listen to their albums. The cery wide spectrum of genres means there are too many songs I don't like. I listen to my playlists or to individual songs or to live recordings.

That said, The Works gets my vote for its songs, but the whole thing sound vastly better live. It's near impossible to listen to the original versions of the songs after hearing them done live.

I've never been a big fan of I Want to Break Free live. I prefer the studio version. It took years before I realized the solo was a synthesizer programmed to sound like May's guitar, not his guitar. Tear It Up just sucks period. But The Works is a good choice, maybe a little short in length.

Jazz is underated also. If it had better production, it probably would be ranked up there with the first six.

Right you are. Not just songs from The Works, but almost anything they did live was better than the album.

Jazz is underated also. If it had better production, it probably would be ranked up there with the first six.

I find Jazz boring apart from a few album tracks. It's my second least favorite, only Flash Gordon below it. I think Hot Space is really underrated. I read once that the album influenced Michael Jackson's Thriller.

I find Jazz boring apart from a few album tracks. It's my second least favorite, only Flash Gordon below it. I think Hot Space is really underrated. I read once that the album influenced Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Body Language was shit. Pure shit. Staying Power sucked too but it sounded awesome live.

Body Language was no worse than Get Down Make Love. Or since I compared Hot Space to Jazz, it's no worse than Let Me Entertain You.

Let Me Entertain You is the best of the three you mentioned. Body Language the worse.

I hate how most people who like Queen don't listen to the deep cuts. Some really good not so known song.

Pretty much all of Queen I and II

The medley on Sheer Heart Attack

'39, Prophet's Song, Love of My Life, Seaside Renvedue, Death On Two Legs/Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon.

The Millionaire Waltz, You and I, You Take my Breath Away

Spread Your Wings, It's Late

Jealously, Dreamer's Ball

And so on

80's Queen was just awesome. But 70's is my favorite.

Seaside Rendezvous has always been a favorite of mine, especially after learning all the woodwind and brass instruments were done by mouth.

For deep cuts on Jazz, Fun It has always been one of my favorites. Same with Rock It (Prime Jive) from The Game. Any time Roger and Freddie shared lead vocals was magic.

The best songs on News of the World were Roger's, It's Late and Spread Your Wings.

The special edition of A Night At The Opera that came out last year had a live version of '39 with Freddie on vocals. Absolutely love that version too.

The special edition of A Night At The Opera that came out last year had a live version of '39 with Freddie on vocals. Absolutely love that version too.

I can't be bothered to look as I'm at work, but is it the same one from Live Killers? I liked the 1975 recording of Keep Yourself Alive from the ANATO bonus disc.

I looked anyway. It's not the same. I always loved '39 with Freddie on vocals.

Edited by luciusfunk

I prefer Brian singing '39. He just has that perfect, mellow folk voice.

He also wrote, sung and played the piano on this gem from News Of The World.

One of my favourite songs of all time.

Magic is a lot better if you liked the first Highlander movie.

I watched Highlander for the first time last week. Never realised Who Wants To Live Forever and It's A Kind Of Magic were written specifically for that film.

Let Me Entertain You is the best of the three you mentioned. Body Language the worse.

I hate how most people who like Queen don't listen to the deep cuts. Some really good not so known song.

Pretty much all of Queen I and II

The medley on Sheer Heart Attack

'39, Prophet's Song, Love of My Life, Seaside Renvedue, Death On Two Legs/Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon.

The Millionaire Waltz, You and I, You Take my Breath Away

Spread Your Wings, It's Late

Jealously, Dreamer's Ball

And so on

80's Queen was just awesome. But 70's is my favorite.

I second this list. Queen are a great band for discovering deep cuts as there is so much emphasis on the Greatest Hits albums. Queen had such a strict criteria for those albums - 'top 20 only' - that so many masterpieces were left off. Not to mention songs which were not even released as singles: Queen have many 'No 1s which never were' on their albums.