Does the MTV 2002 appearance sound better with time?

GnR Chris

Retrospectively, does the 2002 MTV appearance sound better than what you thought back then? I was just watching it now for whatever reason.

Axl certainly has sounded better since, but in the majority of his recent performances, his 2002 voice was stronger. Just asking because that's long been viewed as sort of a mess of a performance.

Edited by GnR Chris

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. Still listening. I know it was a medley of sorts. People then were remembering the old Axl in his prime and shitting on the performance, but I think "Jungle" and "Madagascar" both sound pretty good in the 2002 performance. I think visually it was a mess for a lot of people who remembered the band from a previous era.

Guest bellastar2355

First of All he looked fucking ridiculous! He's such a beautiful man and to go out and look that is just cringe worthy! Second, He sounded like he was tired and he was barely moving. Finally, no he didn't sound all that good. Sorry, but he didn't. His voice has gotten worse it's true, but I just really hate this fucking performance. Not worthy of my wonderful Axl.

I mean you also have Buckethead onstage! Take advantage of that!

Second worse jungle and pc ever, behind bridge school.

Best madagascar ever though, IMO, and the best line up of GnR.

It was a freakshow, but it was certainly entertaining. The whole band had tons of energy and was exited to be there, the crowd was into it, jimmy fallon was into it, if WTTJ and PC were better, I think it would've gave GnR a pretty good popularity boost, but axl butchering two of GnR's most popular songs really destroyed New GnRs reputation.

Edited by liers

It did enormous damage to NuGNR. Arguably they never quite recovered.

This times a 1,000.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

When you are going to do something as ballsy as keep the name of an iconic band the same with only yourself as the remaining member, you need to make sure their introduction to the world goes well.

By any metric the entire spectacle was a disaster from the appearance of the band, to Axl's ridiculous wardrobe to his being totally gassed because he wasn't in shape and ready to perform (where have we heard that before)....things just couldn't have gone worse if he tried to.

If he went out and smoked that performance looking/sounding like the Axl Rose people remembered and then had an album ready to go a few months later it would have totally changed the trajectory of New GNR.

Instead he was left as the punchline to fat jokes with people mocking that "he broke up the original band for this?".

This doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that he had no business wasting what was arguably his biggest nut to launching the new band when there was no sign of a record anywhere in sight.

Who on God's green earth advised him that debuting the band at that time was a good idea when there was no music ready to go? What he did is something you do to promote the long awaited album, as it was sure to generate a ton of buzz (in this case it did...just not the type he maybe hoped). People were naturally wondering when the album was coming, and Axl was basically left saying "don't hold your breath."

To let him go out there unprepared to perform, knowingly throwing away the best promotional opportunity he would ever have to launch the band just screams stupidity.

He could have ended the VMA's any year he wanted at that point, and to waste it like he did is just criminal.

It did enormous damage to NuGNR. Arguably they never quite recovered.

This times a 1,000.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

When you are going to do something as ballsy as keep the name of an iconic band the same with only yourself as the remaining member, you need to make sure their introduction to the world goes well.

By any metric the entire spectacle was a disaster from the appearance of the band, to Axl's ridiculous wardrobe to his being totally gassed because he wasn't in shape and ready to perform (where have we heard that before)....things just couldn't have gone worse if he tried to.

If he went out and smoked that performance looking/sounding like the Axl Rose people remembered and then had an album ready to go a few months later it would have totally changed the trajectory of New GNR.

Instead he was left as the punchline to fat jokes with people mocking that "he broke up the original band for this?".

This doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that he had no business wasting what was arguably his biggest nut to launching the new band when there was no sign of a record anywhere in sight.

Who on God's green earth advised him that debuting the band at that time was a good idea when there was no music ready to go? What he did is something you do to promote the long awaited album, as it was sure to generate a ton of buzz (in this case it did...just not the type he maybe hoped). People were naturally wondering when the album was coming, and Axl was basically left saying "don't hold your breath."

To let him go out there unprepared to perform, knowingly throwing away the best promotional opportunity he would ever have to launch the band just screams stupidity.

He could have ended the VMA's any year he wanted at that point, and to waste it like he did is just criminal.

Agree with most of your view, except that I didn't and don't think his performance that night was all that bad (OK maybe my standards are low). But yeah, odd time to debut your new band without new songs to promote.

Still think it was horrible. I was so pumped up to see this when it happened and really dissapointed when it was over. Very weak vocals and Madagascar is one of my least favorite tracks off of CD. Should of picked a better song from CD. Still can't believe at the time we were wondering where he had been for so long. Now it's 11 yrs later, and were still wondering when we will get new music.

I remember watching that on YouTube a few years ago and thinking the first 1:40 or whatever it is, sounded really impressive, then he misqued the timing of the next lyric and Jungle never recovered. That scream is fucking powerful though, and the Madagascar is impressive too.

Edited by DeanoR