Does the MTV 2002 appearance sound better with time?

GnR Chris

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bellastar2355

I always loved this performance. I rememebr when Fallon made the annoucement we all ran to the tv and went bat shit crazy!

You can't be serious. With all due respect, how can you like this performance?!

I always loved this performance. I rememebr when Fallon made the annoucement we all ran to the tv and went bat shit crazy!

You can't be serious. With all due respect, how can you like this performance?!

Madagascar has never sounded as good ever since.

And do you think that is more important than the fact that this overall disaster of an appearance effectively buried any hope for NuGNR to emerge from the shadow of the old band, to be taken seriously as a band and not become the butt end of jokes for the next decade?

Madagascar or not, it was a complete shambles.

Edited by TheDiceMan

Yes and no.

For a lot of people it didn't look like Guns n' Roses and looked weird and off. That gets better over time because we're more used to what GnR was at that time now. It even sounded different. Different voice, different music. The "WTF is this?!!" effect is gone. So in that sense yes, it gets better with time.

It's still pretty much the weakest the band sounded through all of 2001/2002. So in that sense it doesn't.

The Jimmy Fallon introduction is still the most awesome part of that show.

Energy was good. Everything else was beyond bad. Whoever decided a medley was a good idea deserves a kick in the teeth.

I don't think a medley was a bad idea, just poorly executed. There was no real flow between the three songs.

Agreed. It was probably thought up as a way to fit old and new in the timeslot they were given.

Energy was good. Everything else was beyond bad. Whoever decided a medley was a good idea deserves a kick in the teeth.

I don't think a medley was a bad idea, just poorly executed. There was no real flow between the three songs.

Agreed. It was probably thought up as a way to fit old and new in the timeslot they were given.

I don't know. I think so many GNR songs are as powerful as they are because of the experience of the whole song. When you pick out bits and pieces, it's just not the same. I agree that these three songs didn't flow, but I have a hard time thinking of a GNR medley I'd want to hear. They could have just as easily done two full songs in that time slot.

I had a fantasy football draft at my house, so there was an audience of about 20 people in attendance. We stopped the party to watch the performance...........

It is easy to let our love of Axl and the excitement of seeing the new band making a public appearance distort our opinion of how bad this performance actually was.

I was in a unique situation of watching it with a large group of people - most of who grew up with GnR and were at the very least casual fans.

Here were the comments. Freakshow. Out of breath. Botox. Embarrassing. What happened to his voice? Mick Jagger is much older and can still sing. Why is that guy wearing a mask and a KFC bucket on his head?

No matter how much Volcano praises the performance, it was an absolute trainwreck and horrible way to introduce the band to the world.

IMO,

Highlights were just seeing Axl back on stage. The opening scream. And Axl had tons of energy.

Lowlights - out of breath, sounded terrible for a majority of the songs, Madagascar was a poor choice, and even if you love their musical ability, Robin and Bucket look like complete freaks. Looks don't determine how good a band is, but it definitely gives off an impression to the general music fan. That freakshow look would have fit perfectly if the band had played Shacklers, OMG or even CD..........but it didn't really work playing one of the more boring songs off of CD and then two of the OLD band's classic songs.

If that band came out, and Axl had his voice ready, and they hit the crowd with Jungle...........then broke into TWAT (condensing it to get the guitar solo and the end screams) and the finished the show with Shacklers, Axl would have announced to the world that GnR was back and ready to kick some ass. Round One would have meant something exciting. But instead, he came out out of breath, played a really tepid slow song and then sounded horrible in PC.

Then answer the question.

Why is there always like 2 dozen people at ANY VMA performance going crazy where you can clearly see the rest of the audience picking their ass?

I am assuming that you missed the after show when they asked some people about the performance and they shook their head and laughed.

Then answer the question.

Why is there always like 2 dozen people at ANY VMA performance going crazy where you can clearly see the rest of the audience picking their ass?

I am assuming that you missed the after show when they asked some people about the performance and they shook their head and laughed.

Source of GTFO

So then you didn't watch it. OK

My question isn't centered around nugnr so put your bullet away, Barney. It's the same way at the 88 vma performance. I'm just curious why you would want to point at one aspect of the show that is the same for EVERY SINGLE ARTIST.

Edited by Rustycage