Does the MTV 2002 appearance sound better with time?

GnR Chris

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it at the time. I was hoping that momentum would carry on with a successful tour and a new album. But that didn't happen. I didn't mind Axl being out of breath, he was running all over the place, which was fine by me. Did not like Robin Finck's look, still don't. Looked like a freak.

Is there a VMA performance from ANY band that doesn't have a couple of dozen people up front going crazy while the rest of the crowd is picking their butt?

I probably could have gone if I was in the same city they were doing the VMAs that year, but would've been in the peanut gallery with the radio station winners.

They could do it again I think, 11 years have passed, the same amount of time as when they last did the VMA's with the old lineup - 2002 line-up.... but they need to have new songs, they can't do Jungle n PC, it'll just look stupid, I'd suggest one AFD song, a CD song and whatever 'new' song they have off an album.

Volcano,

In your mind, which was a better performance. This VMA or the one where Axl performed with Tom Petty?

Tom Petty. But energy wise VMA's 2002 hands down.

+1.

The energy is untouchble. There is only one man who can create energy like that on stage. He was on fire, he had the hunger! rock3 It was one hell of a peformence.

PS: with tom petty his vocals wasent exactly awsome....Dident fit the song atleast.

VMA 2002 UNDERRATED!

Retrospectively, does the 2002 MTV appearance sound better than what you thought back then? I was just watching it now for whatever reason.

Axl certainly has sounded better since, but in the majority of his recent performances, his 2002 voice was stronger. Just asking because that's long been viewed as sort of a mess of a performance.

No

weak voice

Not better, just powerfull

Volcano,

In your mind, which was a better performance. This VMA or the one where Axl performed with Tom Petty?

Hell no. Axl had way more energy and it was fucking raw when he played with Tom Petty. Did you guys ever see the second part of that? After Free Fallin', they play Heartbreak Hotel. I'd say Heartbreak Hotel is better then Free Fallin'.

Volcano,

+1.

The energy is untouchble. There is only one man who can create energy like that on stage. He was on fire, he had the hunger! rock3 It was one hell of a peformence.

PS: with tom petty his vocals wasent exactly awsome....Dident fit the song atleast.

VMA 2002 UNDERRATED!

Uhhh.........can't tell if serious or trying to be funny.

His vocals on free falling were absolutely perfect. So much that he pretty much blew Petty off the stage.

One of Axl's finest moments on stage was that entire performance.

Just out of curiosity, how many live shows have you attended?

I always wondered why they chose Maddy instead of Chinese or even TWAT.

I'm guessing for this reason. 9/11. It happened around a year earlier, new york was still recovering, this song was about recovering and not being brought down, it fit perfectly.

It did enormous damage to NuGNR. Arguably they never quite recovered.

This times a 1,000.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

When you are going to do something as ballsy as keep the name of an iconic band the same with only yourself as the remaining member, you need to make sure their introduction to the world goes well.

By any metric the entire spectacle was a disaster from the appearance of the band, to Axl's ridiculous wardrobe to his being totally gassed because he wasn't in shape and ready to perform (where have we heard that before)....things just couldn't have gone worse if he tried to.

If he went out and smoked that performance looking/sounding like the Axl Rose people remembered and then had an album ready to go a few months later it would have totally changed the trajectory of New GNR.

Instead he was left as the punchline to fat jokes with people mocking that "he broke up the original band for this?".

This doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that he had no business wasting what was arguably his biggest nut to launching the new band when there was no sign of a record anywhere in sight.

Who on God's green earth advised him that debuting the band at that time was a good idea when there was no music ready to go? What he did is something you do to promote the long awaited album, as it was sure to generate a ton of buzz (in this case it did...just not the type he maybe hoped). People were naturally wondering when the album was coming, and Axl was basically left saying "don't hold your breath."

To let him go out there unprepared to perform, knowingly throwing away the best promotional opportunity he would ever have to launch the band just screams stupidity.

He could have ended the VMA's any year he wanted at that point, and to waste it like he did is just criminal.

They had tons of music. Chinese democracy could've been released as early as 1999. At that time they had already said they had over 30 completed songs. They had already played SOD, OMG, Silkworms, Riad, Maddy, CD, and piano parts from prostitute live. IRS, Catcher, and Twat were also completed by that time. They had plenty of material, but axl wanted to be a perfectionist and make everything "perfect". I think if the US tour had been completed as planned and the riots hadn't caused issues in the band, we would've seen CD by 2003.

I always wondered why they chose Maddy instead of Chinese or even TWAT.

I'm sure Madagascar was going to be the lead single at that point

I remember hearing somewhere that up until they wrote better, catcher was planned to be the lead single.

Retrospectively, does the 2002 MTV appearance sound better than what you thought back then? I was just watching it now for whatever reason.

Axl certainly has sounded better since, but in the majority of his recent performances, his 2002 voice was stronger. Just asking because that's long been viewed as sort of a mess of a performance.

No. It gets only more nostalgic.

Happens with every concert. In 2001, Rio 3 was considered a disaster. And now people consider it as being epic.