Rare 1989 video at The Cathouse - Did you film this?

fernandoGNR

Yes I was at all 4 of them Oct 18,19,21 and 22 I taped them but didn't video. It was a stones gig not a GNR gig so it would have been hard to get in all my gear. Also when you film or take photos, you sort of miss the gig. I was not very impressed with the gigs, only because I thought they should have played something new.

It sort of was if you are a GN'R purist and didn't like the Illusion era. Adler played that off-key Farm Aid thingy and then was gone and they hired Dizzy Reed during the Illusion period (and eventually Stradlin quit). The Stones shows were the swan song of the classic era.

• 2 years later...

I just came across the first clip in this thread from the Parkview Hotel show and was going to ask about it, but found this thread already dedicated to it. Wow, the band sounds so good. I actually found the guy who ran Biff TV on Linked In. Definitely looks like 'Biff' himself and he lived in LA around this time and it matches the name at the beginning of the video. https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffcoggins

Marc, do you know who this guy is/was? Do you remember seeing him around during those days? Finally, I think this was the show that Slash mentioned in his book as classic GNR being at its best. Do you agree with that assessment and was it downhill from there in your opinion?

He has the whole show but uploaded the snippet in order to get retarded people to contact him and "buy" the illegally recorded show. I just sent him a friendly message expressing all my love lol.

retarded why?

btw there's another video featuring Axl (among others). Check @17:55 Axl singing Jumpin' Jack Flash and Brown Sugar. So cool!

http://youtu.be/OftRGHES2ZQ

Biff Tv and The Ponce live from The World Famous Domino Lounge @ Spice (7070 Hollywood Blvd) featuring The Mighty Hornets and guests Billy Idol, Ian Astbury, Brian O'Neal, Axl Rose and Randy Castillo...

this is priceless stuff, lets hope the whole thing surfaces

I don't know who that guy is. In 1989 I don't think classic GNR was at its best because of the fact that Slash and Steven were not really in the best shape as far as their drug use. I would say 1988 would be the year of that. Also the band only did a hand full of gigs in 1989

i understand what you mean marc

but even in bad shape those five guys somehow managed to sound fucking terrific

wow

There was talk about them adding Live and Let Die but they couldn't seem to put it off.

wow, that should be nice... any other new song?

wow, this is really awesome!!! we havent seen ANY of this before, absolute kick-ass!!

they didnt do the best job in mixing it tough...its out of synch later in the footage.

its clearly Axl playing bass during RQ (good to be seen @8:28 from the close-up right cam).

so there are at least 3 video sources from this:

center/middle cam (to be seen in this youtube-clip) + close-up cam right (to be seen in this youtube-clip) + Marc's video.

Marc, from where did you shoot this? left/right/stage?

exactly, this video is priceless, terrific terrific show by the best band ever!

This came up a couple days ago. I was wondering if you're the one who filmed this or you know nothing about this recording...?

http://youtu.be/5HkmjYCPUX0

This is the only footage from this now famous show. Shot October 13, 1989 at the Parkview Plaza Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles. A few nights later The band opened for the Rolling Stones at The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Another Biff Tv and The Ponce exclusive.

so was the show at the cathouse or at Parkview Plaza Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles?

He has the whole show but uploaded the snippet in order to get retarded people to contact him and "buy" the illegally recorded show. I just sent him a friendly message expressing all my love lol.

retarded why?

btw there's another video featuring Axl (among others). Check @17:55 Axl singing Jumpin' Jack Flash and Brown Sugar. So cool!

Biff Tv and The Ponce live from The World Famous Domino Lounge @ Spice (7070 Hollywood Blvd) featuring The Mighty Hornets and guests Billy Idol, Ian Astbury, Brian O'Neal, Axl Rose and Randy Castillo...

this is priceless stuff, lets hope the whole thing surfaces

I don't know who that guy is. In 1989 I don't think classic GNR was at its best because of the fact that Slash and Steven were not really in the best shape as far as their drug use. I would say 1988 would be the year of that. Also the band only did a hand full of gigs in 1989

i understand what you mean marc

but even in bad shape those five guys somehow managed to sound fucking terrific

wow

There was talk about them adding Live and Let Die but they couldn't seem to put it off.

wow, that should be nice... any other new song?

wow, this is really awesome!!! we havent seen ANY of this before, absolute kick-ass!!

they didnt do the best job in mixing it tough...its out of synch later in the footage.

its clearly Axl playing bass during RQ (good to be seen @8:28 from the close-up right cam).

so there are at least 3 video sources from this:

center/middle cam (to be seen in this youtube-clip) + close-up cam right (to be seen in this youtube-clip) + Marc's video.

Marc, from where did you shoot this? left/right/stage?

exactly, this video is priceless, terrific terrific show by the best band ever!

This came up a couple days ago. I was wondering if you're the one who filmed this or you know nothing about this recording...?

http://youtu.be/5HkmjYCPUX0

This is the only footage from this now famous show. Shot October 13, 1989 at the Parkview Plaza Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles. A few nights later The band opened for the Rolling Stones at The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Another Biff Tv and The Ponce exclusive.

so was the show at the cathouse or at Parkview Plaza Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles?

There was 2 different gigs, The cathouse was on 10/10/89 and the Rip party was on 10/13/89

this is a little off topic marc but do you go to any of slash's show this fall in LA?? :lol:

Yes I always see Slash when he is playing in Los Angeles

Now this is super rare

This is no way in 1986

More like 1989-90