Sign in to follow this  
lukepowell1988

Catcher In The Rye Axl"s Most Genius Moment?

Just listening to the 1999 version again with Brian May it is such an amazing song probably my favorite on the album .. maybe of all time

I think it is also incredibly underrated

what do you lot think of this track?

One of the best Guns songs ever imo. Truly inspired. May brought the awesome too with that solo. (Axl and his tech guy deserve credit for that too I think)

One of the best Guns songs ever imo. Truly inspired. May brought the awesome too with that solo. (Axl and his tech guy deserve credit for that too I think)

Still cant understand why they didn't include May in the final cut

Has always been one of my favorite CD songs. The album version is about a 7,5/10 though. While the Brian May version would be maybe 9,5/10.

Personally I prefer the album version, but yeah it's probably my favorite on Chinese Democracy. Not Axl's "most genius moment" though, that's a toss up between Locomotive and Coma IMO

I think CITR is the most underrated GNR song period. It only trails Coma as my favorite GNR songs. The outro and its relation to the loss of John Lennon to those that remember that day, makes me sad every time I hear it.

On an ordinary day

Not in an ordinary way

All at once the song I heard

No longer would it play

RIP John Lennon

And yes, I do realize this is my own personal perception of the song.

This will likely develop into another Brian May solo discussion.

I like this song a lot, but the overproduction holds it back.

Probably my favorite CD song. Not axl's most genius moment though, but definitely in the top 5. I remember hearing that in 2002 it was supposed to be the lead single for CD. It would've been awesome hearing the older version and having it be the lead single.

I like this song a lot, but the overproduction holds it back.

Agreed. But this is also a flaw much less evident in the Brian May version which is probably from about 1999.

Just like the IRS and TWAT versions from that era.

Edited by username

I used to rock out to the May version all the time. Never to the album version. Wow I enrolled in and completed college plus some in the time it took Axl to put out CD. Never thought of it like that really.

once upon a time, there was no comparison that the version with the May solo was more sonically pleasing but in all fairness to BBF, he made that song better after a few years of listening to both versions.

Probably my favorite CD song. Not axl's most genius moment though, but definitely in the top 5. I remember hearing that in 2002 it was supposed to be the lead single for CD. It would've been awesome hearing the older version and having it be the lead single.

I also read that and even read that Axl was in Shanghai that year because he was planning to film stuff there to use for a possible Catcher In the Rye music video.

This is the 2002 version of that song, with Buckethead doing the solo instead of Brian May or Bumblefoot:

Love the song. When CD was originally suppose to come out ( years before 08) it was going to be the first single .

Catcher In The Rye is a very sincere and heartfelt track. One of the best songs off Chinese Democracy and great to see it getting played live regularly. That, along with Estranged & Civil War is reason enough for me to go see Axl once more.

If the album had came out in 2002, it would've been I big hit IMO. The original The Blues, CITR, IRS, TWAT, Silkworms, Riad and OMG would've made for a good album.

Its definitely the most catchy of the epics. The one moment of universality on the record.

Personally I prefer the album version, but yeah it's probably my favorite on Chinese Democracy. Not Axl's "most genius moment" though, that's a toss up between Locomotive and Coma IMO

Axl just rambles nonsense over Slash's flat riffs in those tracks. No emotion, just half assed poetry for Axl.

Axl just rambles nonsense over Slash's flat riffs in those tracks. No emotion, just half assed poetry for Axl.

:jerkoff: Coma is a masterpiece.

Catcher is great, particularly the BM version. Axl's most genius moment? Not even his most genius on CD, let alone ever.

The demo reaches this really beautiful climax / outro. Lyrics are meaningful and interesting. Music is top notch, It definitely ranks up there as my best GnR moments.

I also read that and even read that Axl was in Shanghai that year because he was planning to film stuff there to use for a possible Catcher In the Rye music video.

This is the 2002 version of that song, with Buckethead doing the solo instead of Brian May or Bumblefoot:

What the hell is that?

Sounds like someone fucking with multi tracks.

Edited by ColdHeartBreaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy8Wv40hEKU

Lol that isn't Bucket, sounds like a person tried to overdub their own playing with the multitracks - it isn't very good Edited by WhazUp