Sign in to follow this  
lukepowell1988

Catcher In The Rye Axl"s Most Genius Moment?

Personally I prefer the album version, but yeah it's probably my favorite on Chinese Democracy. Not Axl's "most genius moment" though, that's a toss up between Locomotive and Coma IMO

Axl just rambles nonsense over Slash's flat riffs in those tracks. No emotion, just half assed poetry for Axl.

pffff GTFO. the only thing that comes close to that is the end of Coma, which he wrote in like 5 minutes while waiting for a bus. Still more genius than anything on CD

Gareth is awesome check out his other tracks.

Absolutely Perfect CITR Vocals. Shoulda been like this on the album, I think it woulda been a huge hit.

Edited by jimb0

Catcher In The Rye is a very sincere and heartfelt track. One of the best songs off Chinese Democracy and great to see it getting played live regularly. That, along with Estranged & Civil War is reason enough for me to go see Axl once more.

the outro is very heart felt. But the early verses where he sings as the syndfome sufferer are hard to grasp. I think audiences would think its just how Axl feels. Which is possible. Thats why its great. It has a great surface, lyrics, vocals but then a deeper meaning. It would have been awesome as a video and on radio in the 90s.

Personally I prefer the album version, but yeah it's probably my favorite on Chinese Democracy. Not Axl's "most genius moment" though, that's a toss up between Locomotive and Coma IMO

Axl just rambles nonsense over Slash's flat riffs in those tracks. No emotion, just half assed poetry for Axl.

:jerkoff: Coma is a masterpiece.

Catcher is great, particularly the BM version. Axl's most genius moment? Not even his most genius on CD, let alone ever.

Off topic, but what is, in your opinion, Axl's most genius moment on CD? Just curious.

Btw, Pitman owned in the demo version of Catcher. It was so cool, and it was a let down for me to hear they changed his part in the studio version. Seems watered down in a way to me.

A base of Catcher, Better, Twat, Shacklers, SOD and Prostitute should have led CD to greatness.

Unfortunately, JUST IN MY OPINION, one thing that kept CD from really being more popular was Axl being in love with songs that weren't the best songs on the album. I know that a few of you just love Sorry to death. And some really like CD. But in terms of featuring the songs that would be most appealing the greatest number of people - which boosts album sales, chart placing and concert tickets - I really think Axl didn't feature the right songs.

Sorry, Madagascar and CD are all pretty generic songs, without much going on to them. But they seem to be songs that mean a lot to Axl and he has showcased them at most of the concerts. Meanwhile, Catcher and Twat are the GnR "epic" type songs, SOD and Prostitute remind me of the Illusions and stay in the same vein as classic GnR, and then Better is the catchiest radio rock friendly......while Shacklers gives the album a uniqueness

Axl's vocals are the most beautiful I've heard from him. The background vocals are awesome as well. Catcher is my fav GnR song (maybe a tie w/ Shacklers), and the rhythm throughout is truly beautiful. The bridge leading to the "na na na" bit (which sounds much better live due to Ron's backing vocals) and then the solo (which is also better live) would be one of the best moments on CD, as well as the outro w/ Axl and Ron doing their thing. The outro is the most beautiful and meaningful moment in a GnR song, ever. So, all in all, definitely Axl's best moment on CD and absolutely one of the best ever up there w/ Estranged, NR and Coma.

Catcher is such an excellent song and the outro is lyrically and melodically potent. I do think, as I do with most other songs of the album, it would have benefited from less production.

Edited by Tyson

Decent song, it was better with May's solo. Nothing surprising though.

Axl's most genius moments are: November Rain, Coma and Locomotive.

sorry about the false information regarding that track that I claimed was a 2002 demo of the song. I thought it was real cause that youtube page has all the legit demos that have leaked over the years so i assumed that must've been a leak at some point too. Didn't realize it was fake.

A base of Catcher, Better, Twat, Shacklers, SOD and Prostitute should have led CD to greatness.

Unfortunately, JUST IN MY OPINION, one thing that kept CD from really being more popular was Axl being in love with songs that weren't the best songs on the album. I know that a few of you just love Sorry to death. And some really like CD. But in terms of featuring the songs that would be most appealing the greatest number of people - which boosts album sales, chart placing and concert tickets - I really think Axl didn't feature the right songs.

Sorry, Madagascar and CD are all pretty generic songs, without much going on to them. But they seem to be songs that mean a lot to Axl and he has showcased them at most of the concerts. Meanwhile, Catcher and Twat are the GnR "epic" type songs, SOD and Prostitute remind me of the Illusions and stay in the same vein as classic GnR, and then Better is the catchiest radio rock friendly......while Shacklers gives the album a uniqueness

The leaks hurt in that way. By the time the album came out it was Shacklers, ITW, Sorry, TIL, Prostitute, Scraped that were new. But the singles were former leaks Chi dem, Better, SOD. They were used rubbers.

If somehow they kept it under wraps and exploded with 3 videos for those songs then more impact.

In the end its those 3 that are classics with TIL also staple.

I like this song a lot, but the overproduction holds it back.

I agree. It's a good song but the overproduction spoils it for me. I've heard Graeme play it on acoustic guitar and it was awesome. I wish they would strip some of the layers away for more minimalism and I think it would be amazing.

The song's outro section is some of the best work, musically and lyrically, that Axl has ever done.

I prefer Brian May's guitar work over Finks and Bumblefoots. On the studio version outro, Bumblefoots guitar is too loud in the mix and drowns out all the other good stuff going on.

Shame the demo is not available in studio quality!

The leaks hurt in that way. By the time the album came out it was Shacklers, ITW, Sorry, TIL, Prostitute, Scraped that were new. But the singles were former leaks Chi dem, Better, SOD. They were used rubbers.

If somehow they kept it under wraps and exploded with 3 videos for those songs then more impact.

Shackler's, ITW and Prostitute had all leaked a few months before the album came out. Only Scraped, TIL and Sorry were new.

Shackler's, ITW and Prostitute had all leaked a few months before the album came out. Only Scraped, TIL and Sorry were new.

True, so you could say Scraped, Sorry, TIL were the singles they should have gone with.

I like this song a lot, but the overproduction holds it back.

Agree on this one. The song comes better with the original version with May on it. (even though I usually don't agree that CD is overproduced, I generally like CD production)

Probably my favorite CD song. Not axl's most genius moment though, but definitely in the top 5. I remember hearing that in 2002 it was supposed to be the lead single for CD. It would've been awesome hearing the older version and having it be the lead single.

I also read that and even read that Axl was in Shanghai that year because he was planning to film stuff there to use for a possible Catcher In the Rye music video.

This is the 2002 version of that song, with Buckethead doing the solo instead of Brian May or Bumblefoot:

The guitar solo is obivously not recorded in studio and this solo would be REALLY weak for Bucket. I would say it's fan-made.

Edited by BatVin

brian may solo is great, gave the song a very nice feeling. ron destroyed the solo. it's a good song by the old-new gnr.

CITR and IRS have the strongest stuff on CD, imo, but with both of them he added shit presumably after '06 that did more harm than good.

CITR - first downside is the solo is questionable. Lots of people I know are really into the song then the solo takes it right away from them. Not saying Brian's solo was the greatest thing ever. I think Slash might've been the guy for the job actually.

Also the extension they put at the end, which is different from what I heard in '06, maybe makes it a lil long-winded on a disc that is FULL of long, emotionally-draining songs.

IRS - Again, i prefer what I heard in '06. the lil guitar strums at the beginning gave it a certain personality. The chorus is brutally awesome and Axl - should've been a single if it werent for the other down-side to this song - the damn swamped out (flanged?) layer of guitars slows it down and doesnt fit. Axl's vocals on that song are a masterpiece, and if he cant sing it high and clean live, might as well not play it at all. When he plays it live it's all blood curdling and that's not how it is studio-wise,

After listening to the 2002 demo, I can't understand what took another 6 years to get the album out. 98% of it is the exact same, hardly notice all the additional tinkering that took 6 more years to do. Just reminds me of how much wasted time that took place instead of releasing new music.

I actually agree with most of that.

Catcher's outro is brilliant, just the last minute and a half is one of the best parts of the entire album.

Thanks for bring Shackler's to my attn. Yes that is a great song too.

I bitch about SOD ALL the time but its because live it doesnt really do much. CD songs often take away from the live show because they're hard to pull off and if Axl's not on his A-game, much less if there's not an orchestra backing him up, they just dont do much.

But FOR THE RECORD, SOD is a great piece of Chi Dem and I feel bad about bitching about it over the years. I will say Robin's first solo doesnt help. There's GOTTA be something better that coulda been done there.

MADDY live at VMAs was great but live its kinda like SOD. Studio wise he BUTCHERED it with those old-man gritty vocals. Seriously, what new listener to GNR hears that and likes it?

Better could've been a monster in '99. It's structurally probably the best pop song on the album but now it sounds a bit dated, and I just dont like the main Robin riff and Axl's wimpy "noone ever told me..."

Chi Dem is a good Godsmack song

CITR

IRS

SR

SOD

RIAD