March 12th, 2013 - Sydney, Australia

Guest Gunns

Sorry guys, I had no reception inside. Show was great, Axl sounded good for the most part, excellent in spots. I'll post more later, but I had a blast. :)

I had problems with reception inside at Perth too but still saw that little jarmo guy tapping away updating successfully

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good show. I thought Axl's voice was amazing at times, and in general very good. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Sure he sounds different than he did years ago but there's still alot of power there. He also seemed to have alot of energy and really got into it. The whole band was good.

Nice to meet some forum members (Drew, Melly, HV & Think About You).

See you in Newcastle ! :)

Ok im not one to bitch about setlists especially shows I did not attend but does anyone else think the setlists are shit so far in Australia?

What in particular do you think is shit? I haven't really examined the setlists, but they look about the same as what we've been getting for the past decade, plus or minus a song here and there. What's bothering you all of a sudden?

Is cbgnr mistaking volcano for a cupcake h8ter? I certainly hope so.

Ok im not one to bitch about setlists especially shows I did not attend but does anyone else think the setlists are shit so far in Australia?

Welcome to the dark side. ;)

I guess after a few years of being spoiled with 3 hour shows it seems even more like a weak set list. Maybe this will end up being a good thing for Axl's voice. I would rather have a two hour show with fewer breaks and covers if it meant Axl was sounding absolutely killer again.

I guess after a few years of being spoiled with 3 hour shows it seems even more like a weak set list. Maybe this will end up being a good thing for Axl's voice. I would rather have a two hour show with fewer breaks and covers if it meant Axl was sounding absolutely killer again.

It's just the market here. Aussies like to hear songs they know... Sounds like a weak excuse but its the truth.

What in particular do you think is shit? I haven't really examined the setlists, but they look about the same as what we've been getting for the past decade, plus or minus a song here and there. What's bothering you all of a sudden?

No obviously not.I was talking about how quickly people jump to conclusions over things.I have no idea why they didn't play CW or SOD or if they will again,but others have already figured it out and posted it so we will all know,which is nice. Edited by cbgnr

No obviously not.I was talking about how quickly people jump to conclusions over things.I have no idea why they didn't play CW or SOD or if they will again,but others have already figured it out and posted it so we will all know,which is nice.

One positive thing GNR has going for them for years now is their 3 hour spectacles. It's not so much the song selection but the lenght of the show. Based on the setlist this was not a three hour show?

I forget that It is already March 13 in Australia as it is still March 12 where I live so following these shows is hard because of the time difference I keep thinking everywhere is the same time zone lol.

VIP was a fuckin rip off, so pissed off

Well I coulda told ya that!!

Why do you say that? Can you provide details?

Edited by Tabitha27

One positive thing GNR has going for them for years now is their 3 hour spectacles. It's not so much the song selection but the lenght of the show. Based on the setlist this was not a three hour show?

i hear ya. I haven't heard anyone give an exact show length yet, but it doesn't look like 3 hours.

Just curious, if you had to choose between an 1:45 show where Axl sounded top notch and brought great energy throughout and a 3:00 show where Axl was, let's say, inconsistent, what would you choose?

i hear ya. I haven't heard anyone give an exact show length yet, but it doesn't look like 3 hours.

Just curious, if you had to choose between an 1:45 show where Axl sounded top notch and brought great energy throughout and a 3:00 show where Axl was, let's say, inconsistent, what would you choose?

It isn't all that noticeable live in person. Reviews from 2011/2012 are much better than they were in 2010. The main point of criticism is usually that the shows are too long. I think 2 hours + another 2-30 minute encore would be perfect.

It isn't all that noticeable live in person.

This. I'll take the 3 hour show.

The 2 hour show every day and twice on Sundays.

You start to lose a crowd at some point, particularly with GNR's version of 3 hour shows in which there are large gaps for various solos. Breaks up the flow of the show.

I saw Slash at the end of last year and he has this down to a science. He's been playing about 21-22 songs a night and you're out in 2 hours. It's paced well, there are no real lulls as he has stopped playing his long solo, and by the end you don't have the feeling you were part of a marathon.

Those 3 hour shows Axl was playing could easily have been condensed to a little over 2 hours if they cut out all the filler that breaks up the flow of the show. If he was playing 30+ songs it would be one thing, but he is turning a 23-25 song ideally 2:15 minute set into a 3 hours marathon with all those solos, jams, and whatnot.

Everyone wants the best bang for the buck, but I think the quality of the overall experience would really improve with some serious tightening up of the live show.

It isn't all that noticeable live in person.

This. I'll take the 3 hour show.

As die-hard fans I'm sure most of us would.

No obviously not.I was talking about how quickly people jump to conclusions over things.I have no idea why they didn't play CW or SOD or if they will again,but others have already figured it out and posted it so we will all know,which is nice.

I was refering to the posts that gave reasons for gnr not performing Civil war and Street of Dreams and the assumption that they will not play them again because they didn't play the songs for the first couple of shows,when really how would anyone know this.Sorry for the confusion,I should have directly replyed.

It's just the market here. Aussies like to hear songs they know... Sounds like a weak excuse but its the truth.

Most people do.