March 17th, 2013 - Melbourne, Australia

Guest Gunns

saber, are you slightly less content with the band as a whole these days?

No, it's just in recent weeks I've noticed that people have the wrong idea about me- I get labeled as a nutswinger, but it simply ain't true! Believe it or not. And I admit that I have no one to blame but myself for my reputation around here. I have a, let's say vigorous posting style. And it has dawned on me that often my posts don't get interpreted the way I intend. People seem to think I'm angrier than I am, but the truth is I just have a flare for baroque sentences. Some of the resentment of me is because of my shenanigans in the Attitude section (which I no longer post in). Regardless, I'm not the blind worshipper that people seem to think I am, and so I'm trying to let other forum goers know that.

As such, lately I've been trying to be very clear that I acknowledge the many criticisms of Axl and the band are valid and legitimate. What bothers me is not the criticism itself, but the often venomous or antagonistic nature in which they are presented. In any case, I'm just a glass-half-full type of person. But I'm not in denial that Axl's voice is erratic at best, the setlist is boring, his use of the name is a contradiction (he claims he wants to rebuild the band, but doesn't do anything with it other than tour on mostly the hits), his reclusiveness is frustrating for fans, and so on and so forth.

But I still have a sliver of hope that more music will be released. I admit however, that may mean I'm delusional. ;)

Edited by brainsaber

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's just in recent weeks I've noticed that people have the wrong idea about me- I get labeled as a nutswinger, but it's simply not true. And I admit that I have no one to blame but myself for my reputation around here. Some of it is because of my shenanigans in the Attitude section (which I no longer post in). Regardless, I'm not the blind worshipper that people seem to think I am.

As such, lately I've been trying to be very clear that I acknowledge the many criticisms of Axl and the band are valid and legitimate. What bothers me is not the criticism itself, but the often venomous or antagonistic nature in which they are presented. In any case, I'm just a glass-half-full type of person. But I'm not in denial that Axl's voice is erratic at best, the setlist is boring, his use of the name is a contradiction (he claims he wants to rebuild the band, but doesn't do anything with it other than tour on mostly the hits), his reclusiveness is frustrating for fans, and so on and so forth.

But I still have a sliver of hope that more music will be released. I admit however, that may mean I'm delusional. ;)

I like this post :)

No, it's just in recent weeks I've noticed that people have the wrong idea about me- I get labeled as a nutswinger, but it simply ain't true! Believe it or not. And I admit that I have no one to blame but myself for my reputation around here. I have a, let's say vigorous posting style. And it has dawned on me that often my posts don't get interpreted the way I intend. People seem to think I'm angrier than I am, but the truth is I just have a flare for baroque sentences. Some of the resentment of me is because of my shenanigans in the Attitude section (which I no longer post in). Regardless, I'm not the blind worshipper that people seem to think I am, and so I'm trying to let other forum goers know that.

wow. thats a very cool and honest post there. you have my kudos.

I agree with a lot of this. I think the rebuilding of the band would be more established with more original albums released. I certainly wish there were more. Perhaps that will come in time. As far as the setlist goes, of course it will seem boring if you are sitting at home reading about a show online, but while I was at the last two Vegas shows, it wasn't really something I was thinking about. I was enjoying the quality of the performances primarily. Axl had one bad show that I saw last year at the first Bridge School show, but in the last year or so, I've seen GN'R five times and four of those times I thought he was great, lack of raspiness that some long for not withstanding. Although, the 2nd Bridge School wasn't quite as good as the last two Vegas shows I was at a month later, it was a marked improvement from the first day of the benefit festival.

Ali

No, it's just in recent weeks I've noticed that people have the wrong idea about me- I get labeled as a nutswinger, but it's simply not true. And I admit that I have no one to blame but myself for my reputation around here. Some of it is because of my shenanigans in the Attitude section (which I no longer post in). Regardless, I'm not the blind worshipper that people seem to think I am.

I like this post :)

looking for a Nightrain video from Australia 2013, any show plz

>looking for a Nightrain video from Australia 2013, any show plz

I have a nightrain vid from the melb 17th show from the front row. How do I upload it?

3.15am. Still on a high, AWESOME show. Had silver tix but was able to get right to the front and see the whole thing from the closet viewpoint. Got 3 guitar picks (1 x dj, 2 x stinston). Fair to say it was a great night and everyone sounded fantastic. Well done Gn'R crew and thank you!

put it on youtube

I've seen gnr live twice,the last time in 2010 and would go again if the oppurtunity arises. I also enjoy videos from concerts that someone has posted on youtube that they have personally recorded possibly thousands of miles away, usually in another country, in my house etc. that I never would have seen in the first place.If or when they add something new to the setlist in some other city,province,state,country etc. I hope someone records it, and I can find the time in my busy schedule to log on and watch it.

Edited by cbgnr

Well considering my amazing 1000 word review that took me over half an hour to type failed to post I'll sum it up. You wanna feel like your having the time of your life at a GN'R gig? Save yourself $110 and go see Slash.

Shit then?

Well considering my amazing 1000 word review that took me over half an hour to type failed to post I'll sum it up. You wanna feel like your having the time of your life at a GN'R gig? Save yourself $110 and go see Slash.

we were obviously at different gigs then...

Whoa. Can you give us a couple bullet points?

Whenever I write something more than a few sentences, I do it in a document first. I've had too many similar experiences with the internets disappearing what I wrote. Sorry, man.

I have a nightrain vid from the melb 17th show from the front row. How do I upload it?

3.15am. Still on a high, AWESOME show. Had silver tix but was able to get right to the front and see the whole thing from the closet viewpoint. Got 3 guitar picks (1 x dj, 2 x stinston). Fair to say it was a great night and everyone sounded fantastic. Well done Gn'R crew and thank you!

About 4 of us hung around the gate to see the huge trucks leaving & a woman with banners for Axl was standing there & we got chatting to her. Security told us nobody was left but we said we didn't believe him and not too long after a black car pulled up and I could see the hat in the back. Then the window came down & Axl's hand came out and his deep voice said something like "hello". There was a bit of calling out to him thanking him for the show etc & then they drove off - all happened so quickly. Apparently he had been walking around the gardens with security earlier and nobody even knew - we were at the afterparty tasting Ron's hot sauce. Great to meet some nice & funny forum members during the evening for a chat.

Dazey & co - Not exactly but at the end of my review these were my main points about what needs to be fixed (the rest of my review had positive points but it got lost so I’m just full of hate now :lol: )

- Bin the solos. No one cares about them. Play short covers before songs like Another Brick in the Wall so people have some way of relating to the new guys.

- Catcher is trash live. Valium would have kept me awake more.

- KOHD needs to be made shorter and Axl needs to be a bit more enthusiastic if hes gonna drag it out like that

- Bin Dizzy and Chris. They are the third nipples of GN'R even in a live setting.

- DJ was awesome actually. HE just needs to stop being budget Slash.

- So was Fortus and Bumble too although the latter didn't blow me like I thought he would.

- Guitars and Axl were way too low in the mix.

- Axl needs to always stop disappearing everytime. We're there to see him. He disappeared like 15 times even between songs during solos. I mean. C’mon do you really need another hat and get yourself into shape.

- I do not wanna sing Happy Birthday to Axl's leeches.

- Axl, DJ and Fortus should be the main focus. The latter two are the only ones that are GN'Rish in their vibe.

- Turn Frank down and he needs to learn how to play songs without ruining key parts.

Red seemed stoked so maybe you should ask her opinion. I mean I was too but I’m a skeptic and Slash was flawless when I saw him in August so go figure. The reason I said what I did was when you go see Slash its all killer no filler. Oh and I caught a pick. Winning :lol:

>>looking for a Nightrain video from Australia 2013, any show plz

lockquote>

About 4 of us hung around the gate to see the huge trucks leaving & a woman with banners for Axl was standing there & we got chatting to her. Security told us nobody was left but we said we didn't believe him and not too long after a black car pulled up and I could see the hat in the back. Then the window came down & Axl's hand came out and his deep voice said something like "hello". There was a bit of calling out to him thanking him for the show etc & then they drove off - all happened so quickly. Apparently he had been walking around the gardens with security earlier and nobody even knew - we were at the afterparty tasting Ron's hot sauce. Great to meet some nice & funny forum members during the evening for a chat.

Haha that's awesome. How was the sound on your side because I know you were right under the PA system on that side. I'd figure it would have been better than the crapfest we had. We were directly in front of the centre literally right where Axl's teleprompter is (shame Mike Patton's not in town anymore :lol:)

Edited by Johnny Drama

- So was Fortus and Bumble too although the latter didn't blow me like I thought he would.

Presumptuous? :awesomeface:

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to retype some thoughts. I completely agree about KOHD. It's so low energy the way they play it now. It can't be an 8 minute song.

Taking time? :lol: That took me 5 minutes. My orignal one was ten times as long although that's the gist of it.

we were obviously at different gigs then...

I'm not dissing it. I'm just saying 1. Slash was cheaper, at a way better venue. 2. He was way more consistent in his vibe than Axl.

Dazey & co - Not exactly but at the end of my review these were my main points about what needs to be fixed (the rest of my review had positive points but it got lost so I’m just full of hate now :lol: )

- Bin the solos. No one cares about them. Play short covers before songs like Another Brick in the Wall so people have some way of relating to the new guys.

- KOHD needs to be made shorter and Axl needs to be a bit more enthusiastic if hes gonna drag it out like that

- Bin Dizzy and Chris. They are the third nipples of GN'R even in a live setting.

- Axl needs to always stop disappearing everytime. We're there to see him. He disappeared like 15 times even between songs during solos. I mean. C’mon do you really need another hat and get yourself into shape.

- Axl, DJ and Fortus should be the main focus. The latter two are the only ones that are GN'Rish in their vibe.

- Turn Frank down and he needs to learn how to play songs without ruining key parts.

Red seemed stoked so maybe you should ask her opinion. I mean I was too but I’m a skeptic and Slash was flawless when I saw him in August so go figure. The reason I said what I did was when you go see Slash its all killer no filler. Oh and I caught a pick. Winning :lol:

>>looking for a Nightrain video from Australia 2013, any show plz

lockquote>

3.15am. Still on a high, AWESOME show. Had silver tix but was able to get right to the front and see the whole thing from the closet viewpoint. Got 3 guitar picks (1 x dj, 2 x stinston). Fair to say it was a great night and everyone sounded fantastic. Well done Gn'R crew and

thank you!

Haha that's awesome. How was the sound on your side because I know you were right under the PA system on that side. I'd figure it would have been better than the crapfest we had. We were directly in front of the centre literally right where Axl's teleprompter is (shame Mike Patton's not in town anymore :lol:)

Hi Johnny, the sound was great on our side and not as loud as Rose Tattoo was which was making my ears itchy. I thought you being in the middle would have had the best view and sound but obviously you didn't. Axl didn't come to our side heaps of times and I'm disappointed that he only took the glasses off for such a short time & never took off the hats. That may not matter to you guys but us females want to see his eyes, his smile, his face - but as it was my first gnr concert I really enjoyed it. Just that as I have seen so much footage of them on the internet it felt just like watching it like that but only bigger. Axl didn't interact much with audience did he, if at all much. I loved Bumble, but maybe thats because I spent so much time with him afterwards chatting & found him such a nice man - and probably as I'm older I don't get as star struck as the younger ones do. I also didn't know the original lineup or many songs, only got into them about 16mths ago and November Rain was the video we used to see every weekend on tv Video Hits when Steven & Izzy had gone. I don't even know Izzy and don't recognise him as a member of the band, so if he'd come out you long time fans would have gone ballistic whereas I would still have been more interested in Axl & Bumble.

I've learnt all their songs in 16mths so I knew every song last night, wanted them to do The Seeker but was happy with what they played. How loud were those pyro explosions in the middle? We had to put our hands over our ears as they were absolutely ear blasting for us - found security very friendly near us too. Glad I at least got to say hi to you briefly, met some lovely people from here & hope they come back to Oz again. I'm guessing you don't as you want new music right?

>>>>>looking for a Nightrain video from Australia 2013, any show plz

lockquote>

3.15am. Still on a high, AWESOME show. Had silver tix but was able to get right to the front and see the whole thing from the closet viewpoint. Got 3 guitar picks (1 x dj, 2 x stinston). Fair to say it was a great night and everyone sounded fantastic. Well done Gn'R crew and

thank you!lockquote>

lockquote>lockquote>

Hi Johnny, the sound was great on our side and not as loud as Rose Tattoo was which was making my ears itchy. I thought you being in the middle would have had the best view and sound but obviously you didn't. Axl didn't come to our side heaps of times and I'm disappointed that he only took the glasses off for such a short time & never took off the hats. That may not matter to you guys but us females want to see his eyes, his smile, his face - but as it was my first gnr concert I really enjoyed it. Just that as I have seen so much footage of them on the internet it felt just like watching it like that but only bigger. Axl didn't interact much with audience did he, if at all much. I loved Bumble, but maybe thats because I spent so much time with him afterwards chatting & found him such a nice man - and probably as I'm older I don't get as star struck as the younger ones do. I also didn't know the original lineup or many songs, only got into them about 16mths ago and November Rain was the video we used to see every weekend on tv Video Hits when Steven & Izzy had gone. I don't even know Izzy and don't recognise him as a member of the band, so if he'd come out you long time fans would have gone ballistic whereas I would still have been more interested in Axl & Bumble.

I've learnt all their songs in 16mths so I knew every song last night, wanted them to do The Seeker but was happy with what they played. How loud were those pyro explosions in the middle? We had to put our hands over our ears as they were absolutely ear blasting for us - found security very friendly near us too. Glad I at least got to say hi to you briefly, met some lovely people from here & hope they come back to Oz again. I'm guessing you don't as you want new music right?

I'm not exactly an old school fan myself as much as a big one. I only became a fan in 2006. I was still crapping my pants when GN'R were big :lol: Nah I agree. I hate the hats and sunnies. Works for Slash because that's his thing but I don't see it as Axl's. Bumble is a good egg hence why I said I felt bad in original review that no one seemed to give a crap about his solo spot nor his acoustic interlude before NR with Richard. As for the pyro, I'm such a lovely guy. When my mate was blocking his ears as the pyro went off I kept punching him in the stomach with each blast :lol:

Edited by Johnny Drama

>>>>>>looking for a Nightrain video from Australia 2013, any show plz

lockquote>

thank you!lockquote>

lockquote>lockquote>

lockquote>

I'm not exactly an old school fan myself as much as a big one. I only became a fan in 2006. I was still crapping my pants when GN'R were big :lol: Nah I agree. I hate the hats and sunnies. Works for Slash because that's his thing but I don't see it as Axl's. Bumble is a good egg hence why I said I felt bad in original review that no one seemed to give a crap about his solo spot nor his acoustic interlude before NR with Richard. As for the pyro, I'm such a lovely guy. When my mate was blocking his ears as the pyro went off I kept punching him in the stomach with each blast :lol:

:rofl-lol: You big meany. Axl didn't even jump and I thought "well he expects it" then I realised so did I. LALD it just kept going off & I'm surprised my ears aren't ringing this morning.

To cap off my night, I walked back to where my car was parked securely in Bourke Street, between Russell and Exhibition and I realised the car park was closed. Had to pay $125 to get my car out, which my good mates luckily split with me. $125 for them to unlock a car park over the phone. If that's not gouging I don't know what is.

Also got to spend a bit of time with Beta, she is just lovely. Didn't ask questions about Axl but more about her, I felt that some things she didn't understand because I asked her what her other son does for a living and she pointed to Fernando and said he was her son. I meant Alex, I wondered that although she has lived in the USA she still has trouble with understanding some things or maybe it could be the accent she wasn't picking up on. She has a lovely Brazillian accent while the others have very broad American accents, I guess a lot you people do but reading your posts I read them with an Aussie accent so would be surprised to hear your voices too. :laugh: