March 17th, 2013 - Melbourne, Australia

Guest Gunns

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an awesome night guys, and JD I think you were EXTREMELY critical. I can imagine that the show would not have been as intense as a show from the late 80s to early 90s but since neither of us actually witnessed one of those first hand I don't really see how you can diss it that much.

The energy they put into the show from the first was pretty amazing to me. Maybe because I was front row, I don't know, but I thought it was quite explosive and everyone gave 100%. I thought Richard, DJ and Bumble engaged well with the audience and Axl was smiling and seemed to enjoy himself. I agree with you about DJ, he was actually really impressive and entertains a crowd well. The only thing i wish he wouldnt do is that thing with his hands to his ears, but then again he can actually do whatever the fuck he wants, so whatever.

I didnt feel that any of the songs were 'trash' or 'boring'. When I go to a show I don't exactly expect it to sound like the CD and I think its really naive to think that they should sound like the CD. But the atmosphere is what counters the sound precision and I think they did a great job at that. And as for Axl spending about 45 seconds singing Happy Birthday to Vanessa, get over it. I thought it was lovely and if you can't spare 45 seconds for that maybe you should have saved your $200 and stayed in bed all day. :rolleyes:

It kind of staggers me to hear so many people critical of them when clearly NONE of us could even come close to delivering what they do. Per-leeeeeease! It's kind of sad to hear people diss them because the audience last night was really loud and loving it, so there's something contradictory about the criticism and the general consensus from audience response.

Anyway, I had an amazing and really special night. It was a dream come true for me. Thanks to rock4eva I had the opportunity to meet the guys. I had a nice chat with Bumble, DJ, Dizzy (who is hilarious), gave Fortus a kiss (he is such a cutie and so shy), chatted with Beta, Fernando and Vanessa and they were all lovely and accommodating. I even had the pleasure of telling Axl as he left that he is awesome and he laughed back and said thanks to us. My last memory is his smiling face and his hand out the car window which I nearly grabbed but just missed. *sigh*

Awesome night! :thumbsup:

I had an awesome night guys, and JD I think you were EXTREMELY critical. I can imagine that the show would not have been as intense as a show from the late 80s to early 90s but since neither of us actually witnessed one of those first hand I don't really see how you can diss it that much.

The energy they put into the show from the first was pretty amazing to me. Maybe because I was front row, I don't know, but I thought it was quite explosive and everyone gave 100%. I thought Richard, DJ and Bumble engaged well with the audience and Axl was smiling and seemed to enjoy himself. I agree with you about DJ, he was actually really impressive and entertains a crowd well. The only thing i wish he wouldnt do is that thing with his hands to his ears, but then again he can actually do whatever the fuck he wants, so whatever.

I didnt feel that any of the songs were 'trash' or 'boring'. When I go to a show I don't exactly expect it to sound like the CD and I think its really naive to think that they should sound like the CD. But the atmosphere is what counters the sound precision and I think they did a great job at that. And as for Axl spending about 45 seconds singing Happy Birthday to Vanessa, get over it. I thought it was lovely and if you can't spare 45 seconds for that maybe you should have saved your $200 and stayed in bed all day. :rolleyes:

It kind of staggers me to hear so many people critical of them when clearly NONE of us could even come close to delivering what they do. Per-leeeeeease! It's kind of sad to hear people diss them because the audience last night was really loud and loving it, so there's something contradictory about the criticism and the general consensus from audience response.

Anyway, I had an amazing and really special night. It was a dream come true for me. Thanks to rock4eva I had the opportunity to meet the guys. I had a nice chat with Bumble, DJ, Dizzy (who is hilarious), gave Fortus a kiss (he is such a cutie and so shy), chatted with Beta, Fernando and Vanessa and they were all lovely and accommodating. I even had the pleasure of telling Axl as he left that he is awesome and he laughed back and said thanks to us. My last memory is his smiling face and his hand out the car window which I nearly grabbed but just missed. *sigh*

1. Not about intensity for me. Like I said, the sound was poor where I was (95% of my problem with the show) and HV backed that POV up in another thread. The rest of my criticism is merely small stuff that I think in order for things to be perfect (I only want the best product/outcome from Axl as a massive fan, that's all).

2. I thought Bumble and Richard were awesome last night which is why the sound was a major issue. I'm looking at Richard directly. He's beating the life out of his guitar and I hear nothing. Like I said you had the PA speakers on your side which would have been a MASSIVE benefit. It was just a massive disconnect that was really jarring if you were where I was. Imagine hearing people's conversations clearly when they're standing two metres from you. Terrible. Not anyone's fault on stage. And yes, the Hulk Hogan thing needs to stop. DJ was good enough to get his own applause, he doesn't need to milk it like a cow. :lol:

3. I love Catcher as a song but again because of sound and the unfamiliarity it was DOA. It just came out muddy, people were yelling crap whilst they were playing which made it worse, hence that atmosphere that is part of a live gig was non-existent at that point in time. Think Red holds a dinner party and decides to play Chinese Democracy in the background. Again your experience, even for metres away in such a circumstance would have been vastly different.

4. Not saying anything in reply to that. I've got my feelings on the Lebeis clan and I won't say more because then I feel I would be too critical. I don't think they're evil people and by all accounts Beta and co are nice to fans, and that's to be respected, but I've got my objections and that's all I'll say.

5. Meeting the guys and a little something to Axl? Too cool. Defintely worth the ticket prices (AND THE FREE UPGRADE TALK ABOUT A DEAL?!)

Red - couple of questions - how many of you guys were hanging out backstage and favourite moment of the gig?

I see where you're coming from JD. I agree that atmosphere is huge for me when I see a gig. I feed of the energy in the air as much as the band does.

Exactly my point. Red was stressing atmosphere (which I'd be bloody sure she had given where she was vs I, ironically) but it was there at times in a big way for me and then completely gone the next. Get some bloody amps on stage and turn Axl up more. This isn't the Frank bloody Ferrer show :lol:

Edited by Johnny Drama

Plain and simple last nights show was not as good as Saturday nights but really that happens, the crowd last night was more generic and when every time you have Axl come front and centre you've got dickheads yelling abuse why would he be in such a good mood to top the night before where I believe the diehards were at as really that was the 2nd show. I chatted to Bumble after and asked him if he heard any of the thins shouted and he said no but I have a feeling he did, he was shouted just as much abuse as Axl, I don't get why you'd go to a show to yell rubbish out, anyway my opinion and we're all entitled tone, I had an absolute all both nights and met some fantastic people who I hope we can be friends for some time! Thanks guys! Edited by adamlacy

Plain and simple last nights show was not as good as Saturday nights but really that happens, the crowd last night was more generic and when every time you have Axl come front and centre you've got dickheads yelling abuse why would he be in such a good mood to top the night before where I believe the diehards were at as really that was the 2nd show. I chatted to Bumble after and asked him if he heard any of the thins shouted and he said no but I have a feeling he did, he was shouted just as much abuse as Axl, I don't get why you'd go to a show to yell rubbish out, anyway my opinion and we're all entitled tone, I had an absolute all both nights and met some fantastic people who I hope we can be friends for some time! Thanks guys!

People were yelling abuse at Axl? I'm confused about your statement about diehards. You're saying they should have been at the first - technically yesterday was the first show right which was what you were saying yeah? What things were people yelling?

Guest Gunns

I think the highlight of all these shows for me (been to three) was catcher , that song is a BEAST live, Axl really puts 100% into that song, and he just loses himself in it. I love the accompanied video with the green dinosaur , the whole thing is a great visual and auditory experience.

I only went to the 2nd (or first,depends on how you look at it) Melbourne show (16th) so I cant comment on the 17th, but from what a few people have told me already who went to both, they said the 16th was the best hands down.

Axl was in a GREAT mood on the 16th, and the whole concert was sublime. When you are front middle for the three shows like I was, you don't hear the guitars that much in the mix because their coming from the left and right speakers, but you can hear Axl perfectly. I can't complain, Axl still has it and his vocals are as strong as ever, he isn't as breathless anymore and he can still unleash the rasp when he wants, its just not as prominent or often as 2010.

Edited by Gunns

I think the highlight of all these shows for me (been to three) was catcher , that song is a BEAST live, Axl really puts 100% into that song, and he just loses himself in it. I love the accompanied video with the green dinosaur , the whole thing is a great visual and auditory experience.

I only went to the 2nd (or first,depends on how you look at it) Melbourne show (16th) so I cant comment on the 17th, but from what a few people have told me already who went to both, they said the 16th was the best hands down.

Axl was in a GREAT mood on the 16th, and the whole concert was sublime. When you are front middle for the three shows like I was, you don't hear the guitars that much in the mix because their coming from the left and right speakers, but you can hear Axl perfectly. I can't complain, Axl still has it and his vocals are as strong as ever, he isn't as breathless anymore and he can still unleash the rasp when he wants, its just not as prominent or often as 2010.

Awesome lucky if that first show was better. Do you have a decent Youtube link to Catcher? I just wanna hear what others were hearing - especially that outro as its the best part yet was the worst part last night.

Edited by Johnny Drama

Red - couple of questions - how many of you guys were hanging out backstage and favourite moment of the gig?

I'm not great with numbers but maybe 50-60 people. The room was a weird shape and there were people in an outdoor area as well, as that was where Dizzy was hanging out, so it was a bit hard to gauge. It slowly petered out over the course of an hour so in the end there was about 20 or so people and some of the band members came in and out at different times.

My favourite parts of the show were Nightrain, Brick In The Wall/November Rain, Mr. Brownstone, Rocket Queen, shit there was too many really. I loved all of it.

Also, in response to the sound that's a shame for you guys. I saw Nick Cave at the same venue two weeks ago and I was right up the back and the sound was great. And the sound for me last night was great too.

I'm not great with numbers but maybe 50-60 people. The room was a weird shape and there were people in an outdoor area as well, as that was where Dizzy was hanging out, so it was a bit hard to gauge. It slowly petered out over the course of an hour so in the end there was about 20 or so people and some of the band members came in and out at different times.

My favourite parts of the show were Nightrain, Brick In The Wall/November Rain, Mr. Brownstone, Rocket Queen, shit there was too many really. I loved all of it.

Also, in response to the sound that's a shame for you guys. I saw Nick Cave at the same venue two weeks ago and I was right up the back and the sound was great. And the sound for me last night was great too.

Nightrain, Brick In The Wall/November Rain, Mr. Brownstone, Rocket Queen - 100% agree. My friend punched me in the face during Nightrain and turned my eyelid inside out which kinda threw me off for 30 seconds :lol: All in the name of good fun. I'd add Chinese Democracy and SCOM but yeah plenty of good stuff. Like I said it was only Catcher and the solos that were non-events. The rest was mad.

It was one that was thrown. Wouldn't make to me if it was passed. Lucky person who got the mic, none of us up front had a shot there. Oh and to the two girls that smelled like body butter and didn't shut up - go stay at Future or Stereo or whatever crap festivals you belong at where a gig is the same thing as going out to a bar or club for a fun night out and stop ruining other people's time.

Hahaha! I did have an altercation at the front with some little shitheads who tried to get in our position at the front even though they didn't have front row seats. I spent the whole time of the Massive Attack intro pushing a little weasly guy out of the way. When I said go back he said 'I'm trying' so I pushed him some more and said 'try fucking harder'. He and his family did move over a bit and I had some friendlier words with them later when they apologised but that was bloody annoying.

Guest Gunns

i posted catcher from newcastle, which is great until Franks drums kick in and it fucks up on the iphone.

I got HD 1080 P footage of the chick flicking peanuts off her tits, angry + nice boys (whole song) as well as many others from 16th show.

Got the video of axl tying his shoe laces whilst bumblefoot takes the mic and other shit (cant remember how much I filmed)

It wasn't an altercation with these two. They rocked up smelling of body butter, stank the whole place up with the tropical aromas (aromae?) of coconut and vanilla. Whatever. Smells good. Yum. But then they wouldn't shut up. Talking during Estranged especially defintely got my fists ready for combat mode :lol: Not to mention the repeated yelling of "SLASH! SLASH!" I mean I did it once for fun, and I could see how that might be annoying, but doing it after 7 songs? :E

See that's why your turn around when I call your name dear. Next time I'll just pop over and bite them for you. Its my go to thing in these situations. :lol: I just make it look like an accident. "oh I bit you? Sorry I was just singing along when your shoulder got in my mouth!"

Edited by Johnny Drama

Guest Gunns

i had this chick and guy that literally just met at the concert on my right, dry humping and groping each other.. Kinda made things a little awkward

It was one that was thrown. Wouldn't make to me if it was passed. Lucky person who got the mic, none of us up front had a shot there. Oh and to the two girls that smelled like body butter and didn't shut up - go stay at Future or Stereo or whatever crap festivals you belong at where a gig is the same thing as going out to a bar or club for a fun night out and stop ruining other people's time.

Thanks for the answer. Glad you and Red really enjoyed the shows.

Guest Gunns

i had this chick and guy that literally just met at the concert on my right, dry humping and groping each other.. Kinda made things a little awkward

Her tits were rubbing up against my back for most of the show lol

should of swapped spots with you :lol: