Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

• 3 months later...

Well, The Rolling Stones are back on tour.

Hamburg:

1.Sympathy For The Devil
2. Its Only Rock 'n' Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Out Of Control
5. Just Your Fool
6. Ride 'em Down
7. Play With Fire
8. You Cant Always Get What You Want
9. Dancing With Mr D
10. Under My Thumb (song vote choice)
11. Paint It Black
12. Honky Tonk Women
13. Slipping Away
14. Happy
15. Midnight Rambler
16. Miss You
17. Street Fighting Man
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar
20. Satisfaction

Encore :
21. Gimme Shelter
22. Jumpin' Jack Flash

Dancing with Mr. D was last played in 1973.

Munich:

1. Sympathy For The Devil
2. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll But I Like It
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Out of Control
5. Just Your Fool
6. Ride 'em All Down
7. Dancing With Mr. D
8. You CAn't Always Get What You Want
9. Beast of Burden
10. Paint It Black
11. Honky Tonk Woman
12. Happy
13. Slippin' Away
14. Midnight Rambler
15. Miss You
16. Street Figting Man
17. Start Me Up
18. Brown Sugar
19. Satisfaction

Encore:
20. Gimme Shelter
21. Jumpin' Jack Flash

I don't see why people think they should retire.  I mean Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Son House, these guys didn't retire, they just played til they died.  I guess with The Stones there's this association with youth culture so when you're not young anymore people feel you're an intrusion or something.

22 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't see why people think they should retire.  I mean Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Son House, these guys didn't retire, they just played til they died.  I guess with The Stones there's this association with youth culture so when you're not young anymore people feel you're an intrusion or something.

Fuck, I'll be going to see them when they're all getting wheeled out to the stage. Charlie has been dead for a decade anyway by the looks of him. And Keith isn't even a mortal. I've seen BB King live 3 times just sitting in a chair and still swinging more than 90% of the performers out there. The Stones can do the same as far as I'm concerned. 

18 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I love the Stones. Even when they are shite I love them. There is just something about them.

Absolutely. 

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, username said:

Fuck, I'll be going to see them when they're all getting wheeled out to the stage. Charlie has been dead for a decade anyway by the looks of him. And Keith isn't even a mortal. I've seen BB King live 3 times just sitting in a chair and still swinging more than 90% of the performers out there. The Stones can do the same as far as I'm concerned. 

Absolutely. 

It'd be nice if they could do more sit down blues but i guess the format they have doesnt lend itself well to that sort of thing. 

31 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It'd be nice if they could do more sit down blues but i guess the format they have doesnt lend itself well to that sort of thing. 

Plus the casual music fan won't be happy with a deep cuts blues show. I sure as fuck would, but most people want to hear the hits. 

I wish I'd hear them play the really slow I Just Want To Make Love To You version from the Flashpoint era (it's a b-side on Highwire). 

On 9/10/2017 at 7:23 AM, blackrose87 said:

Jesus Keith sounds rubbish in that SFTD video. Much as I love him might  be worth packing it in after this tour.

These days Keef has good and bad nights............some night he struggles to play while others he plays competently, and at times inspired, but at his age and with his arthritic hands you pay your money and take your chances on getting a good performance out of him..........

Ronnie does his best to cover for Keef on the bad nights but there are times it is painful to listen to Keef play. I almost wish they would bring back Mick Taylor full time to help fatten the sound but from what I read while Keef  was all for it but Sir Mick would never hear of it...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, classicrawker said:

These days Keef has good and bad nights............some night he struggles to play while others he plays competently, and at times inspired, but at his age and with his arthritic hands you pay your money and take your chances on getting a good performance out of him..........

Ronnie does his best to cover for Keef on the bad nights but there are times it is painful to listen to Keef play. I almost wish they would bring back Mick Taylor full time to help fatten the sound but from what I read while Keef  was all for it but Sir Mick would never hear of it...........

Meh, listened to beast of burden there from Munich and the beginning is completely out of key. Its not like its the occasional bum note or drunken overenthusiastic sloppiness it's just a pure inability to really play the guitar well......which is really sad to see. I'd hate to see him go the way of  Chuck Berry. Gotta say the rest of them sound amazing. Mick Jagger is a total machine.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He hasn't been the same since he fell from that tree.

I don't know man. If you only go back to glastonbury in 2013 he was still  moving about on stage close to his old self and playing pretty well at the ripe old age of 70. Maybe something happened him health wise in the last couple of years. Indeed someone already mentioned that his fingers look riddled with arteritis.  No idea how the guy can move his fingers at all. 

3 hours ago, blackrose87 said:

Meh, listened to beast of burden there from Munich and the beginning is completely out of key. Its not like its the occasional bum note or drunken overenthusiastic sloppiness it's just a pure inability to really play the guitar well......which is really sad to see. I'd hate to see him go the way of  Chuck Berry. Gotta say the rest of them sound amazing. Mick Jagger is a total machine.

No doubt,  sadly the nights where he plays well, like Glastonbury 2013, are becoming fewer and fewer these days.....but casual Stones fans, which make up the majority of the of the crowds at their shows these days , will not notice his subpar playing as Ronnie can still fill the void.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blackrose87 said:

I'd hate to see him go the way of  Chuck Berry. 

I've seen Chuck Berry once, in 2009. He played a 1 hour and 15 minute show, which I've heard is quite long for him. The venue held about 1000 people. Objectively it was one of the sloppiest shows I've ever been to. But in all honesty the sheer joy he showed playing with his daughter and son made sure I left the venue completely happy and satisfied. He was great with the fans too, signed a girl's guitar, pulled people onto the stage, sat down afterwards to sign stuff and greet people. Fantastic night.... but technically shit. ;) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, username said:

I've seen Chuck Berry once, in 2009. He played a 1 hour and 15 minute show, which I've heard is quite long for him. The venue held about 1000 people. Objectively it was one of the sloppiest shows I've ever been to. But in all honesty the sheer joy he showed playing with his daughter and son made sure I left the venue completely happy and satisfied. He was great with the fans too, signed a girl's guitar, pulled people onto the stage, sat down afterwards to sign stuff and greet people. Fantastic night.... but technically shit. ;) 

To be fair though, in the tradition of rock n roll and blues, a lot of em were technically shit, not that they couldnt do it pitch perfect, the record shows admirably that they could but those guys used to turn up pissed and high and play for people who were pissed and high and everybody had a gay ol' time, its a loose sort of music, rock n roll.  Though Chuck Berry was very very very on point for most of his career so hes probably a bad example.  They tend to minimise their work as they get older, sort of like a boxing vet, they know how to get the most out of little, Keith is very much like this lately and more power to him i say.

The Stones grew up idolizing Jimmy Reed for crying out loud, he used to play so pissed he could hardly stand :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

PS

Mick's tracksuit!!

Its sort of what they are at the heart of it, aren't they?  Then again I've heard Keith say in interviews, regarding his solo work, that he would never do a solo blues album simply because he can't see any reason for it and there are people out there who can do it a lot better than he so that tells me that the ol' wock n woll means a lot to him and thats not really music to be played sitting on your arse. 

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its sort of what they are at the heart of it, aren't they?  Then again I've heard Keith say in interviews, regarding his solo work, that he would never do a solo blues album simply because he can't see any reason for it and there are people out there who can do it a lot better than he so that tells me that the ol' wock n woll means a lot to him and thats not really music to be played sitting on your arse. 

The title track on Crosseyed Heart is all the reason the world needs for a Keith Richards blues album.