New Buckethead Pikes Discussion

Cosmo

Just ordered the signed #15 and Shores of Molokai (#7) rock3

Nice.

Molokai is excellent.

One of the best Pikes, certainly.

I'll probably pick up a few more later on... Was thinking Racks, but what do you guys think are the best?

Racks, 3 Foot Clearance, The Silent Picture Book... these pikes are all amazing. Underground Chamber and Balloon Cement are more like 'deep cuts' though... Not albums you'll listen to that frequently. They require a straight listen. Especially Balloon Cement. That one's crazy. And Look Up There is amazing but it's only two huge songs.

• 2 weeks later...

Got 15 in the mail today. It's, uh, different. Need to give it a few more listens.

I remember the samples sounding really cool.

Different, as in....? You can't just call a Bucket album "different" and leave it at that :lol:

Hopefully mine gets here soon, I'm excited! :D

:rofl-lol:

Did you get it yet?

Different as in lots and lots of noodling. Very, very loose, seemingly improvised song structures at times. An entire song where I'm not sure what instruments are being played. It's not as weird as I thought after my first listen, but it's not as approachable as some of the others IMO.

Got 15 in the mail today. It's, uh, different. Need to give it a few more listens.

Different, as in....? You can't just call a Bucket album "different" and leave it at that :lol:

Did you get it yet?

Different as in lots and lots of noodling. Very, very loose, seemingly improvised song structures at times. An entire song where I'm not sure what instruments are being played. It's not as weird as I thought after my first listen, but it's not as approachable as some of the others IMO.

Kinda like Balloon Cement?

Did you get it yet?

Not a bad comparison, actually. It's funny you say that cuz the percussion is more on an even playing field with Bucket's guitar (remember I'm talking about 14, I made the mistake of typing 15 earlier), just like it often is on Balloon Cement, than on a lot of Bucket releases. Although I'd say percussion is generally stellar on most Bucket work.

Did you get it yet?

Not a bad comparison, actually. It's funny you say that cuz the percussion is more on an even playing field with Bucket's guitar (remember I'm talking about 14, I made the mistake of typing 15 earlier), just like it often is on Balloon Cement, than on a lot of Bucket releases. Although I'd say percussion is generally stellar on most Bucket work.

Is it as good as Balloon Cement? Really dig that album. Has some really weird moments but some really cool, different standouts like Veil Of Tinfoil and Replacement Nail.

Did you get it yet?

Is it as good as Balloon Cement? Really dig that album. Has some really weird moments but some really cool, different standouts like Veil Of Tinfoil and Replacement Nail.

It's not nearly as complete an album as Balloon Cement. I guess the Pikes aren't really supposed to be.