New Buckethead Pikes Discussion

Cosmo

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The newest vinyl pre-order is Pike 264, Poseidon.

http://www.bucketheadpikes.com/Poseidon_vinyl.html

I wish I knew why he picks these random pikes for vinyl releases instead of starting with It's Alive and going from there :P

There's also some canvas art cards to buy:
http://bucketheadpikes.com/canvas_cards.html

On 9/13/2017 at 6:22 AM, Gackt said:

I wish I knew why he picks these random pikes for vinyl releases instead of starting with It's Alive and going from there :P

There's also some canvas art cards to buy:
http://bucketheadpikes.com/canvas_cards.html

Probably a few reasons like some pikes wouldn't work too well on vinyl as they're a "straight through" kind of listen, or he doesn't have enough time to get vinyl pressings of 200+ albums :lol:

Honestly though I'm hoping he only puts a few more Pikes on vinyl (Northern Lights being the one I'd want the most, followed by 3' Clearance or City Of Ferris Wheels). Bring on Captain EO's Voyage, Monsters And Robots, Pepper's Ghost, Colma, etc. please :D

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Probably a few reasons like some pikes wouldn't work too well on vinyl as they're a "straight through" kind of listen, or he doesn't have enough time to get vinyl pressings of 200+ albums :lol:

Honestly though I'm hoping he only puts a few more Pikes on vinyl (Northern Lights being the one I'd want the most, followed by 3' Clearance or City Of Ferris Wheels). Bring on Captain EO's Voyage, Monsters And Robots, Pepper's Ghost, Colma, etc. please :D

I think he'd have label issues with ones like Colma & Monsters and Robots, but Pepper's Ghost definitely deserves a vinyl release with how much demand and hype that album has in his discography

2 minutes ago, Gackt said:

I think he'd have label issues with ones like Colma & Monsters and Robots, but Pepper's Ghost definitely deserves a vinyl release with how much demand and hype that album has in his discography

Yea, I figured there'd be some label issues with his 90's albums but if there's a way to do it, they deserve a vinyl release. Pepper's Ghost and Captain EO's Voyage are the ones I want the most though. Did you get The Elephant Mans Alarm Clock btw? How does it sound? I didn't think mine sounded that great, it's got some smudges and surface scratches (from the packaging I guess), whereas my copy of Crime Slunk Scene is awesome.

40 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, I figured there'd be some label issues with his 90's albums but if there's a way to do it, they deserve a vinyl release. Pepper's Ghost and Captain EO's Voyage are the ones I want the most though. Did you get The Elephant Mans Alarm Clock btw? How does it sound? I didn't think mine sounded that great, it's got some smudges and surface scratches (from the packaging I guess), whereas my copy of Crime Slunk Scene is awesome.

I didn't order any of the vinyl editions except for Bucketheadland 5 13 10 31..I have Population Override on vinyl, but the others haven't excited me enough to buy since I've had the CD for so long of the TDRS era albums

Live From Bucketheadland has been tempting, but I want to see if BHL3 has a download card at least first so I can enjoy having new tracks on my ipod.  If not, I'll likely just hold off on it.

14 minutes ago, Gackt said:

I didn't order any of the vinyl editions except for Bucketheadland 5 13 10 31..I have Population Override on vinyl, but the others haven't excited me enough to buy since I've had the CD for so long of the TDRS era albums

Live From Bucketheadland has been tempting, but I want to see if BHL3 has a download card at least first so I can enjoy having new tracks on my ipod.  If not, I'll likely just hold off on it.

Fair enough. I've been wanting a copy of Shadows Between The Sky for years so a vinyl release was great news for me there, and a few others were exciting enough for me to order (the live record, Bucketheadland, Sparks In The Dark) but I don't listen to my CD's very often, I like the sound of my records better so if I'm gonna play something through my speakers, I'd rather get those than hunt down the CD's.

I hope Bucketheadland and the live record come with download cards, it hadn't really occurred to me that they wouldn't, but now that I think about it I'm worried they won't. Still looking forward to that live record the most though, and I have no idea what to expect from Bucketheadland.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fair enough. I've been wanting a copy of Shadows Between The Sky for years so a vinyl release was great news for me there, and a few others were exciting enough for me to order (the live record, Bucketheadland, Sparks In The Dark) but I don't listen to my CD's very often, I like the sound of my records better so if I'm gonna play something through my speakers, I'd rather get those than hunt down the CD's.

I hope Bucketheadland and the live record come with download cards, it hadn't really occurred to me that they wouldn't, but now that I think about it I'm worried they won't. Still looking forward to that live record the most though, and I have no idea what to expect from Bucketheadland.

Exactly, I think the TDRS albums will come up on Bucket's bandcamp someday as a download, but "soon" in his terms can be months, or years..lol

My expectations for the new Bucketheadland are at least a few guest musicians, with a lot of skits similar to BHL2's with characters and ride descriptions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Exactly, I think the TDRS albums will come up on Bucket's bandcamp someday as a download, but "soon" in his terms can be months, or years..lol

My expectations for the new Bucketheadland are at least a few guest musicians, with a lot of skits similar to BHL2's with characters and ride descriptions.

Yea, it'd be cool if he re-issued a batch of TDRS albums all at once as downloads and records. I won't hold my breath though :lol:

I don't really have any expectations for Bucketheadland, I didn't overly care for the 2nd one but I'm looking forward to just hearing it fresh (hopefully avoiding reviews beforehand) and hearing it for what it is. I'm guessing there will be some skits and stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if he threw a total curve-ball with this record either.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, it'd be cool if he re-issued a batch of TDRS albums all at once as downloads and records. I won't hold my breath though :lol:

I don't really have any expectations for Bucketheadland, I didn't overly care for the 2nd one but I'm looking forward to just hearing it fresh (hopefully avoiding reviews beforehand) and hearing it for what it is. I'm guessing there will be some skits and stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if he threw a total curve-ball with this record either.

Bucketheadland 2 was an interesting sequel. It was a very cool addition to the 10th anniversary.

• 4 weeks later...

Giving the thread a little life, with how quiet it's been lately:

an FYI, A Real Diamond in the Rough on vinyl has started shipping.  Up next on the vinyl release schedule is Slaughterhouse on the Prairie, then the long-awaited Bucketheadland 513 1031 scheduled for a Halloween release.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:51 PM, triad said:

Video from new concert!  

After I got over the bucket head and axl thing , I've become intrigued by bucket , what he did before and after his stint with Axl & co.  I've watched a lot of his videos , something about his playing is mesmerizing. At first, i thought it was boring but clearly he is very sophisticated technically , but he is actually pretty damn fascinating as a guitarist . 

There is a solo at the end of "there was a time", is that bucket ?

What would you recommend as a good album for me to start with , doesn't matter when it was released. 

I also like his breakdancing , I'm not sure what he calls it. 

Good video

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pishy said:

After I got over the bucket head and axl thing , I've become intrigued by bucket , what he did before and after his stint with Axl & co.  I've watched a lot of his videos , something about his playing is mesmerizing. At first, i thought it was boring but clearly he is very sophisticated technically , but he is actually pretty damn fascinating as a guitarist . 

There is a solo at the end of "there was a time", is that bucket ?

What would you recommend as a good album for me to start with , doesn't matter when it was released. 

I also like his breakdancing , I'm not sure what he calls it. 

Good video

Thanks.  Yes, Bucket played the 2nd TWAT solo, starting at 4:20 or so.  I hope he comes my way on the next tour!  I've never seen him live.  

Below is a list of recommendations that @Gackt posted way back when there were only 100 or so pikes.  The Pike styles are all over the place.  This is a great help: http://decino.nl/?p=pike-suggester.  One of the most popular Pikes is #65.  

#1 It's Alive

#3 3 Foot Clearance

#5 Look Up There

#7 The Shores of Molokai

#11 Forgotten Library

#23 Telescape

#26 Worms for the Garden

#28 Feathers

#31 Pearson's Square

#32 Rise the Blue Lotus

#38 It Smells Like Frogs

#40 Coat of Charms

#42 Backwards Chimney

#51 Claymation Courtyard

#56 Cycle

#64 Aquarium

#65 Hold Me Forever

#66 Leave the Light On

#80 Cutout Animatronic

#90 Listen for the Whisper

• Like 2

@triad thanks so much for taking the time to teach me all this, much appreciated. 

I like that solo at the end of "there was.." and after watching a lot of Bucket's videos it had his signature on it but I'm so new to it I didn't really know. 

I want to see him too. 

he is so prolific , I can't believe how much music he has put out, it's insane .

im going to take your suggestions regarding what to start listening to. 

I read he wants to build an amusement park and create songs for each ride, that made me like him even more, I love roller coasters and always wished there could be music with the rides, the man knows what he is talking about !  How awesome would that be? 

@triad #65 is so awesome. I need to keep listening of course , but really great.

he was here just this September , why didn't I look?!! And I didn't know about his work with Bootsy until recently .

So Pike was the name of one of his albums then he had a series of Pikes, right? Pikes are a long running project but he also has separate albums? Are Pumpkin Pikes different? 

18 minutes ago, Pishy said:

@triad #65 is so awesome. I need to keep listening of course , but really great.

he was here just this September , why didn't I look?!! And I didn't know about his work with Bootsy until recently .

So Pike was the name of one of his albums then he had a series of Pikes, right? Pikes are a long running project but he also has separate albums? Are Pumpkin Pikes different? 

The release of Pumpkin Pikes would've made more sense as a 2CD Pike, not as two seperate Pikes. 

Edited by Sosso