New Buckethead Pikes Discussion

Cosmo

18 hours ago, Sosso said:

@triad @Pishy Yeah, his Halloween Pikes mostly contain scary noises. I can understand that not everybody likes this, but I'm a very big fan of horror films and those soundscapes are not unfamiliar for me.

The Blue Squared album is by far my favourite Halloween Pike. It could be used as a score to a slasher film like Friday the 13th or something...

I listened to one and I like it. It's almost Halloween so i was more open to it. It would be cool to play out of speakers if you have trick or treaters then have some creature jump out and scare them type set-up.  

I also think you can play the scary ones and work on something like writing , painting , tinkering on a motorcycle, whatever you like to do or dinner music. 

Buckethead should be highly sought for a horror flick soundtrack but some of his scary stuff is too sophisticated . It would work with a really good scary movie .

20 minutes ago, Pishy said:

@Gackt kitty says thank you.  I like it too.

does Buckethead have someone play on parts of songs or how does it work? Is he recording multiple things and mixing ?

The pikes musically are a two-man team, Buckethead doing all the guitars while his long-time associate Dan Monti (also known as Brewer on the current tour) is in charge of the drum and bass parts to the songs, with the exception of songs that feature Buckethead on bass.  One of Buckethead's relatives P-Sticks does most of the artwork for the pikes.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pishy said:

I listened to one and I like it. It's almost Halloween so i was more open to it. It would be cool to play out of speakers if you have trick or treaters then have some creature jump out and scare them type set-up.  

I also think you can play the scary ones and work on something like writing , painting , tinkering on a motorcycle, whatever you like to do or dinner music. 

Buckethead should be highly sought for a horror flick soundtrack but some of his scary stuff is too sophisticated . It would work with a really good scary movie .

Have you listened to Swollen Glasses or Voice From The Dead Forest?

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 11:47 AM, Sosso said:

Have you listened to Swollen Glasses or Voice From The Dead Forest?

No, are these pikes or regular albums ? 

I purchased 10 pikes and I really like Pumpkin and #272 Coniunctio. Happy birthday MJ #226 is great. Claymation, Propellar. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pishy said:

No, are these pikes or regular albums ? 

I purchased 10 pikes and I really like Pumpkin and #272 Coniunctio. Happy birthday MJ #226 is great. Claymation, Propellar. 

Those two are Pikes. 

Yeah, Coniunctio is great. His best Ambient album in my opinion.

Just now, Sosso said:

Those two are Pikes. 

Yeah, Coniunctio is great. His best Ambient album in my opinion.

I'll get those 2 tonight then , thanks for the rec.

Coniunctio is really good , i played it for my cat and he liked it too. Also helped me sleep.  Relaxing is not the right word , really don't know which words would do. It almost seems like Buckethead had another portal of his mind opened to his consciousness , how he recorded that, I don't know.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pishy said:

@Sosso "melting season" from Thaw is really good , listening now 

Indeed. There are so many great songs to discover from the Pikes. The song Puzzle Box from the View Master Pike or the song Circle from the Half Circle Bridge Pike for example.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Indeed. There are so many great songs to discover from the Pikes. The song Puzzle Box from the View Master Pike or the song Circle from the Half Circle Bridge Pike for example.

There are a lot, it's one after the other . 

I'll check those out too. Making a list . 

2 minutes ago, Pishy said:

There are a lot, it's one after the other . 

I'll check those out too. Making a list . 

I love all the Pikes for different reasons. It doesn't matter which mood I'm in because I'll always find the most suitable Pike for each situation. 

• Like 1

A few more of my favorite pikes, in various genres..

#25: Pancake Heater; awesomely heavy with some amazing riffs
#28: Feathers; contains one of my favorite Buckethead songs, Faded
#31: Pearson's Square; an acoustic album which is among his best
#39: Twisterlend; The Closed Triptych is one of Buckethead's great iconic epics, and the rest of the album is also a great listen
#42: Backwards Chimney; clean guitars, great vibes with energetic songs
#47: Roller Coaster Track Repair; shreds your face off with lightning fast solos
#53: City of Ferris Wheels; bluesy, funky
#80: Cutout Animatronic; Buckethead's bass-work is the highlight of this album

All of Buckethead's acoustic pikes are worth listening to honestly, albums like Wishes, Rise of the Blue Lotus & Rainy Days are so good.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some good and bad news to people who preordered "Bucketheadland 513 1031"; the album was delayed until Spring, however if you email the pikes service (probably from the email you purchased the album from and including your transaction ID), they'll be able to issue you a download of the album to tide you over until the vinyl ships out.

@Gackt are there cds too? Yes, I still always buy cds but I purchased 20 pikes via download because i didn't see cds plus it was such a great sale and I wanted to hear as much as possible .

vinyl would be awesome . 

Where do you get Bucketnews such as shows and new releases? 

12 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I'm a huge fan of the Buckethead Pikes but I'm curious why someone would pay 31 bucks for this

http://www.bucketheadpikes.com/slunk_cards.html

That's something I would have done in primary school

I saw those and liked them because they reminded me of my primary school drawings :lol:  There was one really good one but it was more expensive I think .

I don't know , Buckethead just comes across as such a nice person, like the way he hands out toys at his shows but does so in such a kind and gentle manner, something about those drawings, reflect that. So in that way, I find them intriguing. 

7 minutes ago, Pishy said:

I saw those and liked them because they reminded me of my primary school drawings :lol:  There was one really good one but it was more expensive I think .

I don't know , Buckethead just comes across as such a nice person, like the way he hands out toys at his shows but does so in such a kind and gentle manner, something about those drawings, reflect that. So in that way, I find them intriguing. 

Yeah, that's right. I like the fact that he Hands out those toys at his concerts. He also did it after his solo spots at GN'R Shows.

9 minutes ago, Pishy said:

Now that's something I would be interested in!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Yeah, that's right. I like the fact that he Hands out those toys at his concerts. He also did it after his solo spots at GN'R Shows.

Now that's something I would be interested in!

I didn't know he did that at GnR shows, very nice of him. The gesture of it, he seems to enjoy not only sharing toys but making people happy with them. 

Its cool, right? Colors and shapes, pretty intense feel to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pishy said:

I didn't know he did that at GnR shows, very nice of him. The gesture of it, he seems to enjoy not only sharing toys but making people happy with them. 

Its cool, right? Colors and shapes, pretty intense feel to it.

This Picture seems to be inspired by The Scream from Edvard Munch

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sosso said:

This Picture seems to be inspired by The Scream from Edvard Munch

It does, i would say the volume on the overt horror is a bit lower but there is a deeper, quieter despair, past the scream. At the same time, there is some serenity in the background. 

I was looking up GnR performvaces with Buckethead, rio and then a nightrain one in the states somewhere . I like the MTV one where he does some martial arts , very stealthy at the end . 

Since the album is sorta out there for consumption now, here's the post for it..

Bucketheadland 5 13 10 31
MiezNYO.jpg

(email pikes service for a download code if you preordered the vinyl)

I like it, for 31 minutes it's an interesting collision of styles and songs.  No remarkable solos or moments in particular that stand out, but for a non-standard pike, it's about a 6-7/10.

It didn't meet my expectations of what I thought the next "Bucketheadland" album would be, but it's worth a listen to any fan.

• Like 1