Important demo question to finish project

Hi Marc, I know this question got lost a few times throughout the posts but I would like to figure it out before my Zine gets printed. It's almost close to complete. If you could tell me if you know for sure if Heartbreak Hotel and Nice Boys (the ones that were discovered in the last couple years) are definitely from Sound City?

And if they are, they would have to be the other takes (Heartbreak Hotel take 1 and Nice Boys take 1 or 2, since 3 is on the list already), correct?

One more thing. The version of Think About You that Lim666 asked about a while back, is there any possible way it's from the Mystic Studio session in 1985? I know you said it was just Welcome to the Jungle, Anything Goes, Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry, and Heartbreak Hotel but is there any way you didn't remember that they recorded Think About You?

Thanks so much for taking the time with it. It'll really help me get this project done.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is that "Nice Boys" (2:42) demo (surfaced 2008 [not before] on iTunes and "American Hair Metal" CD):

i cant find the "Heartbreak Hotel" demo on youtube. somebody can up this? its the one with just Axl in the beginning saying: "Since my baby left me...." and then the music starts.

Marc, in addition to that, was there a take 2 of Shadow of Your Love at Sound City? I just looked again at the actual Scotch 3M demo reel photo and it is listed twice. Just wondering since your list doesn't have take 1 or 2 after that song.

November Rain piano is also separate from the acoustic take. Do you know if they were played in the order of your list or by what's written on the demo?

Is it possible that all the acoustics were recorded at the end of the session? Since Move to the City, Jumpin' Jack Flash, and You're Crazy are all at the end, maybe November Rain was too?

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm right at the end here.

Edited by Creepshow2

I don't know how they recorded them other than it was a 2 track process. I have to tape that was giver to the band and it had the tracks that are listed in Reckless Road thats it. I never heard any of the other ones and I don't think the band has either.

Edited by recklessroad

Yeah, I guess it doesn't make sense for the band to hear them if they weren't on the tape given to them but is it possible that Shadow was recorded twice and only the "Wake up, time to play!" take was kept and the other one left on the reel but not copied over?

How were you able to deterime that Jumpin' Jack Flash take 2 and Nice Boys take 3 were 2nd and 3rd takes?

Edited by Creepshow2

Marc, when I print this final draft of my Zine, as long as I credit you, would it be alright if I included the picture of Tom Zutaut and Teresa Ensenat with the band? I'm trying to get everyone who was involved with the demo sessions in there, plus pictures of the actual reels or cassettes. Any picture that I use, the photographer will be credited next to it if their name is known. I'd like to mail a final copy to you.

Also, do you know the date or month in 1988 when they recorded GN'R Lies?

Thanks.

Edited by Creepshow2

Thanks for that information. Do you think Mick Wall is a reliable source? I haven't read his book. All I know is that is the same day they played the Limelight and performed One in a Million. I tried finding interviews from around that time to see if any of them said they were going to record.

Marc, when I print this final draft of my Zine, as long as I credit you, would it be alright if I included the picture of Tom Zutaut and Teresa Ensenat with the band? I'm trying to get everyone who was involved with the demo sessions in there, plus pictures of the actual reels or cassettes. Any picture that I use, the photographer will be credited next to it if their name is known. I'd like to mail a final copy to you.

Also, do you know the date or month in 1988 when they recorded GN'R Lies?

Thanks.

Yes you can use the photo. I don't remember when they recorded Lies

Awesome, that helps a great deal. Do you remember what the first Heartbreak Hotel demo sounded like? Did it have backing vocals like the other 4 songs? Or even the run time would help.

I never heard it because the band didn't get a copy of it and I don't remember hearing it when they recorded it.

I have been thinking about the Lies thing. In my opinion it was probably recorded between 5th January - 31st January (Wall may have got the month right).

Have a read of this about a Drunk Fux gig from John's page...

01.14.88 - Coconut Teaszer, Hollywood, CA
set: I Got A Line On You, Wishing Well, Communication Breakdown, Scarred For Life, Sentimental Movie, Yesterdays, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Born To Be Wild, Honky Tonk Women
audio/video recording?: audio
notes: This band is known as the Drunk Fux - Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, West Arkeen & Del James. The first performance of 'Yesterdays,' Axl mentions they will try to record it next week Axl sings lead on 'Yesterdays' & 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door,' and shares vocals on 'Honky Tonk Women.'

They had a recording session booked then, late January (c. 21st) 1988. 'Yesterdays' is an acoutsic track: it is not improbable that 'Yesterdays' was considered for Lies at some stage.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I have been thinking about the Lies thing. In my opinion it was probably recorded between 5th January - 31st January (Wall may have got the month right).

set: I Got A Line On You, Wishing Well, Communication Breakdown, Scarred For Life, Sentimental Movie, Yesterdays, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Born To Be Wild, Honky Tonk Women

notes: This band is known as the Drunk Fux - Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, West Arkeen & Del James. The first performance of 'Yesterdays,' Axl mentions they will try to record it next week Axl sings lead on 'Yesterdays' & 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door,' and shares vocals on 'Honky Tonk Women.'

They had a recording session booked then, late January (c. 21st) 1988. 'Yesterdays' is an acoutsic track: it is not improbable that 'Yesterdays' was considered for Lies at some stage.

Yesterdays sounds great. A bit more bluesy sound.

Yesterdays sounds great. A bit more bluesy sound.

It sure is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-gOQwP-kEg

Edited by droezle