The most ambitious Gn'R song ever

Rovim

The Coma thread got me thinking, I hope it's alright to share it with you:

What is, in your opinion, the most ambitious Guns song ever written?

Just based on lyrical themes, guitar work, or any other category?

What's interesting to me is that on every Gn'R album there's at least one really epic/ambitious song

On Appetite it's Paradise City for me.

On UYI 1 it's Coma, Don't Damn Me, and November Rain

On UYI 2 it's Civil War, Locomotive, and Estranged

And on Chinese It's Catcher and There Was A Time.

I'm also interested in reading what part of a song made the song ambitious for you.

Edited by Rovim

AFD - Rocket Queen (long, lots of instrumental, moaning)

UYI - NR, Coma, The Gardenf

UYI II - CW, Estranged, MY World :awesomeface:

Lies - \

Chinese - TIL, Catcher indeed, but actually most songs are pretty ambitious, since the sound is so different, than the orginals.

Edited by MBRose

Coma for sure. Love the history of it in Watch You Bleed. Such a long, arduous process and so totally worth it.

I find all of CD particularly ambitious - GNR had such a defined sound from the early records, and the entire CD project was 1000% different. I love a band that can do that.

AFD: Rocket Queen (Best track in the album, great closure and the great lyrics and instrumentals)

Lies: nothing ambitious here, not bad not great, just good.

UYI I: November Rain (This song just has so many things going on that I'm surprised that most people just takes notes about the solos and nothing else while every time I heard it I can't stop thinking about the piano and the background sounds that it has in it.

UYII: Estranged (almost the same thing as NR with the difference that this song is almost the perfect ilustration of the time where Axl wrotte it, perfect from the very core althoug I always wanted to hear it just with a piano and vocals like that NR demo)

TSI: nahhh I won't put anything here.

CD: Prostitute (perfect combination between all the instruments whitin a band that is so huge with all of the players seeming to put their soul on that one track, great lyrics and vocals by MR Rose, more than great solo's by the master Buckethead and perhaps the biggest effort ever made by the band, one of my all time favorites GN'R songs.)

Estranged IMO, in terms of just creating a song that lacked a true chorus and had that long instrumental section in the middle was pretty ballsy. Coma as well.

I would also say Prostitute but IMO it wasn't as well executed as Estranged and Coma

Edited by WhazUp

I'm flattered that my thread got you thinking :takethat:

To answer your question, I'd probably say November Rain was GnR's most ambitious song. Axl had been working on it for years 6 or 7 years until it's completion. It is audibly clear that November Rain was a song that was set to succeed. It truly is a masterpiece. Honestly, the guitar work, the vocals, and all the other cinematics, made November Rain such a complex hit song. You can tell they put loads of work into it, and that is why I believe it was one of their most ambitious songs.

AFD: Rocket Queen (Best track in the album, great closure and the great lyrics and instrumentals)

Lies: nothing ambitious here, not bad not great, just good.

UYI I: November Rain (This song just has so many things going on that I'm surprised that most people just takes notes about the solos and nothing else while every time I heard it I can't stop thinking about the piano and the background sounds that it has in it.

UYII: Estranged (almost the same thing as NR with the difference that this song is almost the perfect ilustration of the time where Axl wrotte it, perfect from the very core althoug I always wanted to hear it just with a piano and vocals like that NR demo)

TSI: nahhh I won't put anything here.

CD: Prostitute (perfect combination between all the instruments whitin a band that is so huge with all of the players seeming to put their soul on that one track, great lyrics and vocals by MR Rose, more than great solo's by the master Buckethead and perhaps the biggest effort ever made by the band, one of my all time favorites GN'R songs.)

I agree with most of this except one bit, I believe Patience in Lies was more on the ambitious side than we may think. I feel they were really trying to nail a hit power ballad. And they really succeed too.

To answer your question, I'd probably say November Rain was GnR's most ambitious song. Axl had been working on it for years 6 or 7 years until it's completion. It is audibly clear that November Rain was a song that was set to succeed. It truly is a masterpiece. Honestly, the guitar work, the vocals, and all the other cinematics, made November Rain such a complex hit song. You can tell they put loads of work into it, and that is why I believe it was one of their most ambitious songs.

6-7 years to completion isn´t much with GNR standards.

It´s a great, easy going song, but the guitar work isn´t very impressing. Any fourteen year old kid could play those solos.

6-7 years to completion isn´t much with GNR standards.

It´s a great, easy going song, but the guitar work isn´t very impressing. Any fourteen year old kid could play those solos.

It's not just about playing the solos. It's writing at that level, coming up with original, lyrical, and emotion packed guitar ideas. That's what made it timeless.

Music is not about how hard it is to play it. It's one of Slash's most memorable moments ever imo, and he didn't even really like to work on songs that were in that style.

He said he had the basic ideas for the solos in the first few takes. That's incredible.

Edited by Rovim

didn't the basic ideas for the solos existed in piano version isnt that why slash didn't get a writing credit?

Slash wrote all the solos, including the outro solo. Slash didn't get a proper writing credit for Estranged as well.

The piano parts were already written by Axl for November Rain, including the piano for the outro but all of the guitar parts were written by Slash.

Edited by Rovim

Most ambitious:

Estranged
November Rain
Locomotive
Coma

In that order.

didn't the basic ideas for the solos existed in piano version isnt that why slash didn't get a writing credit?

Slash wrote all the solos, including the outro solo. Slash didn't get a proper writing credit for Estranged as well.

The piano parts were already written by Axl for November rain, including the piano for the outro but all of the guitar parts were written by Slash.

Exactly.