Funeral Reunion

Gun N' Roses

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is but to answer the OP I think Axl would probably send flowers and a letter of condolence, not sure he would attend. I actually don't think that would be unreasonable, they never got on that well and have only maybe seen each other once or twice in the last 20-25 years. If I put myself in that scenario I possibly would do the same.

It is but to answer the OP I think Axl would probably send flowers and a letter of condolence, not sure he would attend. I actually don't think that would be unreasonable, they never got on that well and have only maybe seen each other once or twice in the last 20-25 years. If I put myself in that scenario I possibly would do the same.

I agree fully. I think we fans of AFD have a tendency to over-exaggerate the personal bond between these two guys. They were never close friends and far from friends in recent years. There is no reason why Axl would attend the funeral.

I just had to go back and check Axl's quotes on Steven, and it is a great read. Axl's never been more eloquent than when talking about Steven:

[steven] is back in the band. He was definitely out of the band. He wasn’t necessarily fired, we worked with Adam Maples, we worked with Martin Chambers, and Steven did the Guns N’ Roses thing and got his shit together. And it worked, and he did it, and he plays the songs better than any of ‘em, just bad-assed, and he’s GNR. And so if he doesn’t blow it, we’re going to try the album with him, and the tour and, you know, we’ve worked out a contract with him....(...) It’s only been since Thursday last week, and he’s doing great. We’re all just hoping it continues [stick To Your Guns by Mick Wall; Kerrang, 21st and 28th of April 1990]

Steven didn't leave. Steven was fired. We gave him every ultimatum, we tried working with other drummers, we had Steven sign a contract saying that if he went back to drugs he was out. He couldn't leave his drugs...and other things had happened involved with Steven that Steven is basically someone I used to know. It makes me feel bad, but there's other things beside the band that he was involved in with his drugs that's been very dangerous and scary and I want nothing to do with him [Famous Last Words, MTV, 1990]

The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that l was the dictator behind it. The truth is, l probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band, because l wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's straight. Most of the time he isn't. (...) At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what l felt l had to do. In the long run l paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15 percent of my publishing off of Appetite for Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick!(...) I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing we can do at this point. We took him to rehabs, we threatened his drug dealers, we helped him when he slashed his wrists. I even forgave him after he nearly killed my wife. I had to spend a night with her in an intensive-care unit because her heart had stopped thanks to Steven. She was hysterical, and he shot her up with a speedball. She had never done jack shit as far as drugs go, and he shoots her up with a mixture of heroin and cocaine? I kept myself from doing anything to him. I kept the man from being killed by members of her family. I saved him from having to go to court, because her mother wanted him held responsible for his actions. And the sonofabitch turns on me? I mean, yeah, I'm a difficult person to deal with, and I'm a pain in the ass to understand, and I've had my share of problems, but Steven benefited greatly from his involvement with me - more than I did from knowing him. Steven had a lot of fans, but he was a real pain in the ass. I need to keep him in my life for you? F?!k you! ["I, Axl" Del James, RIP Magazine - 1992]

I do wish Steven the best and in my heart hope that he finds some peace and security. As far as direct contact no. It unfortunately gets too messy too quick. In Steven's mind I'm the one who holds the keys and power over his happiness so I'm the bad guy pretty quickly [mygnrforum.com, December 12, 2008]

Talking about working with former members: Steven brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath [Axl interview by Del James, spinner.com, 2009]

With 'Appetite,' for me the parts, playing, etc., timing flaws, whatever, are perfect, and as a moment in time for me, the whole record is. That said, the sound of the drums, which at the time in our niche of the woods was a bit of a bold statement and a somewhat successful effort to change things from the current flow at the time, and so may have been necessary but for me sound the most dated of anything there sound-wise (...) The public has no idea what went into Steven's parts and the notion of getting through songs in rehearsal if ever, with no exaggeration, was unfortunately a nightmare that neither I or Izzy could take, and eventually the others as well, though they lasted longer for other reasons [Axl interview by Del James, spinner.com, 2009]

I wish Steven the best; unfortunately Steven's given us the spoiler for that [Del James interview with Axl, February 2009]

Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned [HOF Press Release, April 2011]

Nope, Axl won't show up in his funeral.

Thanks for the quotes SoulMonster ...

I've been searching for this one for a long time:

l probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band

^^^ It's clear that, since the beginning, if someone made something to keep the band together, that was Axl ...

Anyway ... i think i read at steven's book that Axl was the only one to show up at the hospital, to visit him, when he had overdose (?) ... So, if stevens hypotetic funeral doesn't become a circus with all the other guys posing por public fotos n' shit, like a 2nd HOF.... i belive that he might show up.

:)

Edited by GUNNER PT

Anyway ... i think i read at steven's book that Axl was the only one to show up at the hospital, to visit him, when he had overdose (?) ...

Yep:

After waking up at the hospital after his first OD: I blinked. I blinked again. It was Axl. Axl got up and was now standing over me. He smiled. He looked genuinely relieved. He said, "Man, that was close, Stevie." He was the only one there. Later, a nurse told me he had sat by my bed the whole time. The other guys went ahead to do the movie but Axl stayed at the hospital. What Axl did was so noble, so selfless and surprising, that I cried, and they were tears of joy (...). There he was, blowing off a chance to be in a scene for a major movie release, to stand by me, his own personal vigil, just Axl. Goddamn Axl. Soon as I thought I had him pegged, he went and did one of the most touching, meaningful things anyone's ever done for me. That was so cool. Thanks, Axl ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, pp. 163]

It's funny, Steven's statements about Axl have always been like, "I love him!", "I hate him", "I love him!", "I hate him!" since they started out, whereas Axl's statement towards Steven have been of gradually increasing scorn and almost repulsion. I really find that dynamic fascinating.

I think a lot of people feel that way about Axl. He's very polarizing.

Absolutely. He even admits to it himself. What is fascinating is that some people have nothing but praise for Axl, and I am not just referring to those in his entourage and whom we can't expect to be objective, I am also talking about other people who have had dealings with him temporarily. He really is an enigma.

I just had to go back and check Axl's quotes on Steven, and it is a great read. Axl's never been more eloquent than when talking about Steven:

[steven] is back in the band. He was definitely out of the band. He wasn’t necessarily fired, we worked with Adam Maples, we worked with Martin Chambers, and Steven did the Guns N’ Roses thing and got his shit together. And it worked, and he did it, and he plays the songs better than any of ‘em, just bad-assed, and he’s GNR. And so if he doesn’t blow it, we’re going to try the album with him, and the tour and, you know, we’ve worked out a contract with him....(...) It’s only been since Thursday last week, and he’s doing great. We’re all just hoping it continues [stick To Your Guns by Mick Wall; Kerrang, 21st and 28th of April 1990]

Steven didn't leave. Steven was fired. We gave him every ultimatum, we tried working with other drummers, we had Steven sign a contract saying that if he went back to drugs he was out. He couldn't leave his drugs...and other things had happened involved with Steven that Steven is basically someone I used to know. It makes me feel bad, but there's other things beside the band that he was involved in with his drugs that's been very dangerous and scary and I want nothing to do with him [Famous Last Words, MTV, 1990]

The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that l was the dictator behind it. The truth is, l probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band, because l wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's straight. Most of the time he isn't. (...) At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what l felt l had to do. In the long run l paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15 percent of my publishing off of Appetite for Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick!(...) I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing we can do at this point. We took him to rehabs, we threatened his drug dealers, we helped him when he slashed his wrists. I even forgave him after he nearly killed my wife. I had to spend a night with her in an intensive-care unit because her heart had stopped thanks to Steven. She was hysterical, and he shot her up with a speedball. She had never done jack shit as far as drugs go, and he shoots her up with a mixture of heroin and cocaine? I kept myself from doing anything to him. I kept the man from being killed by members of her family. I saved him from having to go to court, because her mother wanted him held responsible for his actions. And the sonofabitch turns on me? I mean, yeah, I'm a difficult person to deal with, and I'm a pain in the ass to understand, and I've had my share of problems, but Steven benefited greatly from his involvement with me - more than I did from knowing him. Steven had a lot of fans, but he was a real pain in the ass. I need to keep him in my life for you? F?!k you! ["I, Axl" Del James, RIP Magazine - 1992]

I do wish Steven the best and in my heart hope that he finds some peace and security. As far as direct contact no. It unfortunately gets too messy too quick. In Steven's mind I'm the one who holds the keys and power over his happiness so I'm the bad guy pretty quickly [mygnrforum.com, December 12, 2008]

Talking about working with former members: Steven brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath [Axl interview by Del James, spinner.com, 2009]

With 'Appetite,' for me the parts, playing, etc., timing flaws, whatever, are perfect, and as a moment in time for me, the whole record is. That said, the sound of the drums, which at the time in our niche of the woods was a bit of a bold statement and a somewhat successful effort to change things from the current flow at the time, and so may have been necessary but for me sound the most dated of anything there sound-wise (...) The public has no idea what went into Steven's parts and the notion of getting through songs in rehearsal if ever, with no exaggeration, was unfortunately a nightmare that neither I or Izzy could take, and eventually the others as well, though they lasted longer for other reasons [Axl interview by Del James, spinner.com, 2009]

I wish Steven the best; unfortunately Steven's given us the spoiler for that [Del James interview with Axl, February 2009]

Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned [HOF Press Release, April 2011]

Nope, Axl won't show up in his funeral.

The first quote was from Mick Wall and Kerrang which Axl called out in "Get in the Ring" so I wouldn't believe that one too much. As far as the rest goes, yeah I could see Axl showing up if he died. There' no hatred there. He has no ill feelings towards Steven, he just bring a lot of BS with him.

Wasn't Axl also the last one to sign the papers to terminate Steven from the band?

I believe Axl did all he could/should to keep the band together but eventually you have to make the right decisions and move on.

Yes he was, but as Axl himself said, he wasn't working with Steven on a daily basis like the others were, and therefore, wasn't fully aware of just how bad it had gotten at that point.

Adler and Axl never got on, that well, in the 1980s. Adler was very outspoken and would always be very upfront to Axl about his behaviour during one of Axl's, mood swings whereas the other three, would just sort of, stay in the background and hope Axl would pull himself out of it. There was a gigantic physical confrontation between Axl and Steven in Vicky Hamilton's apartment (this would be, 1986) during which a coffee table was upturned. Axl's 'Rocket Queen' romp with Adrianna Smith (during the mixing of Appetite) obviously did not help matters either. Then there was the big argument over the songwriting credits for Appetite.