Toronto - July 15th

Amir

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really shouldn't but I saw them last in 2011 at Copps. I'd like to see a smaller show.

Go for it man! I cant justify spending over 300 on 2 tix, than travel, hotel, babysitter, food etc woyld love to see the show in a club but impossible right now.

I really shouldn't but I saw them last in 2011 at Copps. I'd like to see a smaller show.

Go for it man! I cant justify spending over 300 on 2 tix, than travel, hotel, babysitter, food etc woyld love to see the show in a club but impossible right now.

Could you not go on your own to make it cheaper? I realise it might be a big ask of your partner but maybe you could agree to make it up to her later.

That's the thing that I don't think Axl and Beta/Kids realize.

I live in a small town, on an island that you can't drive to (only ferry or jet). So for me to go see GnR, it's at least $1,000 in airfare. Plus hotel - that's $450 for three nights......plus rental car, that's another $150.......plus two concert tickets, that's another $250. So for my wife and I to go see them, I'm forking out almost $2,000. (Which I've done three times since Axl decided to keep the name - but I'm clearly a hater!!!!!).

If GnR comes to the northwest this year and is just playing basically the same set-list as the past few years, am I going to pay over $2,000 to go see them? Not when I've seen this same basic show three times already. But if they came through next year with a new album and were playing 5-6 new songs...........I'm there, without a doubt.

And the same thing for casual rock fans. For $50 they will go see any of the bands we grew up with. For $100 they will go see an old band that they really like. But when you start getting into the $150-to-200 range - the casual GnR fan isn't going to pay that much money, especially if the band just came to their town recently and they aren't touring a new album.

Just my personal situation and my opinion. I'm sure the die-hards will tell me that 250 is a bargain price to see DJ owning Slash's work. But in the real world, GnR - while not supporting a new album - should be lowering ticket prices, not raising them.

Lowest Price: General Floor Admission - Standing Room No Seats

Mid Price: Back Balcony

High Price - Small Balcony - Holds 30 People Close to the stage

No Meet and Greet.

This information was gotten from Sound Academy.

So basically 30 people in front of the stage and GA behind them? I've been to sound academy and there is only one balcony that I know of.

Could you not go on your own to make it cheaper? I realise it might be a big ask of your partner but maybe you could agree to make it up to her later.

naw still cannot afford to go, just really bad timing is all. Anyone that is going have fun!

naw still cannot afford to go, just really bad timing is all. Anyone that is going have fun!

That's my biggest issue with it is the timing. No time to make work arrangements, and no time to budget a $150 amidst other finances that have to take priority right now. Not to mention it seems silly to pay $150 for the same show I saw last month for $40.

No Meet and Greet.

So basically 30 people in front of the stage and GA behind them? I've been to sound academy and there is only one balcony that I know of.

There's a small balcony on the right hand side closer to the stage.

Larger balcony is further back on the left and along the middle.

No Meet and Greet.

There's a small balcony on the right hand side closer to the stage.

Larger balcony is further back on the left and along the middle.

Ok as long as GA gets me up on the rail I'm fine with that lol. Thanks Zint!

No Meet and Greet.

There are two balconies. One is at the side, one is further back. If you're facing the stage, the balcony for VIPs is often the one on the right, above the bar. If it's a 102.1 event they sometimes broadcast from up there.

So...almost none of the regulars can go to this it seems? Wonder if that should be a sign to the band that they need to start giving a bit more notice for gigs... :book:

And most of the regulars have seen this show multiple times. Paying $150-$400 for nothing new (even if the show is great) isn't a great value-proposition. I love seeing Les Miserables, but I only see it once every five - ten years.

Once Axl exhibits any form of appreciation to his fans I'll be back on board. But with repetitive shows and stale setlists, lack of new music, less than impressive vocals, rather expensive ticket prices (granted, it's the same ballpark as other bands, though most of those other bands are comprised of the original/classic lineup), gouging VIP packages that yields very little in return, and a fan-club that borders on insulting to the hardcore faithful, I don't see why any fan would return the love. Nevermind the middle finger he gave to fans over the R&R HOF issue. The only fan friendly gesture I've ever seen Axl perform in the last ten years was handing out water bottles at the end of the concert and letting me party with him (which was awesome, but mostly of my own doing - I'll explain in two years time).

There just isn't the same excitement around this band to warrant spending $150 - $400 on a concert. And this is coming from a guy who has Alan Niven's RIAA Gold Album Award for AFD on his wall, a GNR tattoo that runs from shoulder to elbow on his right arm, and a vanity license plate that says WTTJ (I drive an Audi TT, so it has a double meaning). If Axl is capable of losing me as a fan, then what hope is there for most other diehards out there.

I gotta agree. This is almost perfect for me actually, I am off work that week and I could go on Monday night very easily. But, I have to save up for a new car (mine is 16+ years old, it's still going strong but it ain't going to last forever). I'd say fuck it and go anyhow, but nah. I've seen GN'R a few times starting with the 2nd Hammerstein show, a couple times afterwards at the ACC and a couple more at Copps. Almost went to Hartford too but that didn't work out. So I am willing to shell out. They put on awesome shows but the band is stagnating as far as new music goes. I don't really care about incidental stuff like the fan club and VIP packages, it's paying an inflated price to see a band on cruise control in a venue that's not very good (and I'd probably hear some dipshits singing at the top of their lungs the whole show more than I would hear Axl). I kind of had my mind made up long ago truthfully. I pretty much knew that unless the direction of the band changed I wasn't going to go to another show.

However, I'd consider going to Copps. Easily the best venue that I've seen GN'R in. Hammerstein was an incredible experience, but the sound was shit. ACC is bigger than I'd like and the sound isn't great. But Copps really strikes a nice balance in terms of size (not too big, not too small) and has great sound. The Molson Amphitheater would also be sweet.

But for whoever goes, enjoy the show. It is a Guns concert, it will be fun.

My father called me up today and asked if I was going to see GNR in Toronto. Apparently he got an email from American Express. When I told him that I wasn't going, he offered to buy me tickets thinking it was a monetary thing (it isn't). Had to explain that I wasn't going to be spending anyone's money (his or mine) to support a band that's just spinning its wheels. It was a really nice gesture on his part because he knows my past obsession with this band, but I think it's time to move on. If GNR comes back in a few years with a new show I'll be there. But not going to pay exorbitant money for a concert I've seen 14 times already. I realize I've made this post a couple of times in this thread, but I felt like expressing how easy it would be for me to go (thanks to the generosity of my father) but have decided to stay home. I never thought a day would come when I'd pass on seeing GNR in concert but apparently that day has arrived. Kind of bummed out about it.

That's the way it goes. See or hear something a thousand times and you kind of want something new, something fresh that gets your synapses firing. I'm not sure what it says about fans who are downright pleased to see and hear the same thing over and over again. My dog was like that. The same things got her excited day in and day out for ten years. But she had an excuse...she was a dog.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a band to be creative. I'd say there is something wrong with the opposite given that the whole point of musical instruments is to create something with them.

Anyhow, don't want to rain on anyone's parade. Like I said, it's a Guns show. It will be fun. I just never post in D&N anymore but this show brought me in for a few minutes.

Edited by KBear

If my dad wasn't paying and didn't want to come with me, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the Abu Dhabi gig. I knew he really wanted to go to a concert with me, so I went more for him than for me. Even he was surprised, though, having seen them last time they came to Abu Dhabi, that they still played stuff like Brick in the Wall. Overall though he preferred the more recent gig, because there was more interaction with the crowd.