This is a really Sad video

axlinkafayette

Very sad. I remember seeing this for the first time. It kinda confirmed what already seemed like a forgone conclusion, but to hear officially that Slash was out of the band was such a punch in the gut. This was the end of GNR and the beginning of Kim Jong Axl's uneventful reign.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you guys still can't let it go? It's not like someone died... it's just a fkn band. Wow.

This is a Gn'R forum for fans. It's not about letting go, it is about caring cause you're a fanatic and you love the band. Nothing wrong with that.

+1

Slash was working with G N R, as he stated at the End of September 1996...a month later, it was over.

WTF happened in that time?

Also, you will notice, Duff and Matt were converted to "paid employees" at that point too. The band as we all knew and loved basically died that day

How did they come from this:

To this.... :no:

"There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty," Rose tells James, adding later that, "Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after Lies. In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

I don't know. It's too complicated, too many things we don't know. But I do know that it is one of the saddest breakups ever in the history of music.

Indeed... I for once take a little comfort in knowing that at least they 'ruled the world' together for almost a decade and left us numerous timeless rock classics.

How did they come from this:

To this.... :no:

"There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty," Rose tells James, adding later that, "Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after Lies. In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

I always thought Axl forced Slash to hug him. :lol:

I've always found it hard to believe such a great band imploded in such a short amount of time.

Indeed. Hard to believe.

I felt it almost as a relief when the UYI lineup disintegrated. It had been such a drawn-out, painful process full of disappointments. The band didn't work at all anymore. It was just anger and conflicts. It was best they just called it quits rather than continue half-ass attempts at being a band. We all realized they would never be able to release msic again and we were frankly just happy they managed to release music post-AFD and tour as much as they did. I was so disillusioned with GN'R that I barely cared when Slash left. The band felt dead to me way before Slash left. But then Axl, to my surprise, decided that he wouldn't quit, too. And although that journey has been anything but successful, I am still very happy that he managed to add one more record to the discography of GN'R and I am very positive that more is to come in the future.

That was definitely not the vibe at all. 100% not the vibe in 1996. Nobody was even aware of the full story at that time. From what I remember in 1995-96, the story was the band was on a hiatus while people pursued solo careers. That was the key word on repeat by radio DJs and MTV: "hiatus"; must've heard it the word 1000 times from 95-96.

It had only been 2 & 1/2 years since their latest release, not to mention the TSI songs were still being played into 1994, plus the Estranged video had rotation until mid-94'. And believe it or not, Sympathy for The Devil received a lot of radio play throughout 94 and early 95. There was no vibe at that time the band was dead at all. They were big from 87-91, but from 92-94 they were a fucking HUGE and most everyday music listeners only knew of the core Axl, Slash and Duff - most people didn't care about Izzy or Adler. It wasn't until much later that it came out how big Izzy was to their sound and how disillusioned the whole band was. I really don't know where you got that vibe from or how you could have picked that up during that period.

How old were you in 1996 anyways? How old were you in the late 80s, enough to even compare the vibe of then to the post-UYI days?

I felt it almost as a relief when the UYI lineup disintegrated. It had been such a drawn-out, painful process full of disappointments. The band didn't work at all anymore. It was just anger and conflicts. It was best they just called it quits rather than continue half-ass attempts at being a band. We all realized they would never be able to release msic again and we were frankly just happy they managed to release music post-AFD and tour as much as they did. I was so disillusioned with GN'R that I barely cared when Slash left. The band felt dead to me way before Slash left. But then Axl, to my surprise, decided that he wouldn't quit, too. And although that journey has been anything but successful, I am still very happy that he managed to add one more record to the discography of GN'R and I am very positive that more is to come in the future.

That was definitely not the vibe at all. 100% not the vibe in 1996. Nobody was even aware of the full story at that time. From what I remember in 1995-96, the story was the band was on a hiatus while people pursued solo careers. That was the key word on repeat by radio DJs and MTV: "hiatus"; must've heard it the word 1000 times from 95-96.

It had only been 2 & 1/2 years since their latest release, not to mention the TSI songs were still being played into 1994, plus the Estranged video had rotation until mid-94'. And believe it or not, Sympathy for The Devil received a lot of radio play throughout 94 and early 95. There was no vibe at that time the band was dead at all. They were big from 87-91, but from 92-94 they were a fucking HUGE and most everyday music listeners only knew of the core Axl, Slash and Duff - most people didn't care about Izzy or Adler. It wasn't until much later that it came out how big Izzy was to their sound and how disillusioned the whole band was. I really don't know where you got that vibe from or how you could have picked that up during that period.

How old were you in 1996 anyways? How old were you in the late 80s, enough to even compare the vibe of then to the post-UYI days?

I am talking about how I felt.

I was 20 in 1996.

GN'R was on the brink of falling apart already back in the 80s. It was amazing it lasted as long it did before the last members of the AFD lineup left the band. Yes, they were big in the early 90s, but "everybody" knew about the huge internal problems and that it wouldn't last.

I've always found it hard to believe such a great band imploded in such a short amount of time.

Short amount of time? The troubles started in the late 80s. Slash left in 1996. That's 6-8 years.

Well, most of the bands I idolize have been around for over 30 years. :laugh: Maiden and AC/DC for instance. That's what I mean. I can only wonder what a GnR album would've sounded like if they hadn't imploded. :no:

I am talking about how I felt.

I was 20 in 1996.

GN'R was on the brink of falling apart already back in the 80s. It was amazing it lasted as long it did before the last members of the AFD lineup left the band. Yes, they were big in the early 90s, but "everybody" knew about the huge internal problems and that it wouldn't last.

I agree. There was no hiding the band was reckless and could fall apart at anytime. But I disagree that everybody knew it wouldn't last. Nobody saw Slash leaving. At the very least, nobody saw the band continuing without Slash, that's for sure.

I remember being at a Halloween party that year and the radio DJs kept talking about it and not playing music. It was breaking news in the RNR world at the time. I think the best phrase would be people were "surprised but not shocked". I still don't know how you picked up a vibe that the band didn't work out anymore or couldn't release music - if anything, I remember the story being they were on hiatus and would be recording again after Snakepit. It's easy to dig up a one-off interview on YouTube now with Slash bashing Paul Huge in 1995, but most press interviews had him, Duff and Matt repeating the same thing: we're on hiatus or we're working on an album.

what happened to the album he announced then with 12 new songs and 3 B sides?!

It came out in 2008, with the 15th song being Oh My God.

In 1996, it was a bold faced lie and didn't exist.

I don't think so...

they write some stuff after the UYI tour

but it didn't work out

wonder if any recordings exist from those sessions

My first inkling that it was over was the VMA's in 1995(I think) when Slash played with Michael Jackson. Afterwards he did an interview with Kurt Loder and Kurt asked him when we could expect some new music. Slash said "Um.......you mean Snake Pit?............Oh Guns n Roses. Yeah, uh, were hoping to get into the studio and start working on stuff". You could tell by the way Slash was talking that he knew it wouldn't be long before he was out of GnR.

Just because guys are in a band together doesn't guarantee that they are going to be best friends for life.

That classic band really ran it's course. Firing one member. One member walking out, even though he was bff's with Axl. Then Slash leaving. It's not like the main group stayed together for 20 years and put out 8 albums!

That's why I laugh when people say things about Axl being more successful in life than a poster will ever be. Money and a top ranking album doesn't equal happiness. If it did, the original line-up would still be together putting out classic albums.

I'm glad that classic group (and second group) lasted as long as it did. We got four amazing albums from them.

The sad part of the story isn't that the classic line-up split up. The sad part is that Axl Rose, one of the greatest rock singers of all time, has chosen to release just one album of material over the past 20 years. Rock music and Axl fans are the real losers.

Just because guys are in a band together doesn't guarantee that they are going to be best friends for life.

That classic band really ran it's course. Firing one member. One member walking out, even though he was bff's with Axl. Then Slash leaving. It's not like the main group stayed together for 20 years and put out 8 albums!

That's why I laugh when people say things about Axl being more successful in life than a poster will ever be. Money and a top ranking album doesn't equal happiness. If it did, the original line-up would still be together putting out classic albums.

I'm glad that classic group (and second group) lasted as long as it did. We got four amazing albums from them.

The sad part of the story isn't that the classic line-up split up. The sad part is that Axl Rose, one of the greatest rock singers of all time, has chosen to release just one album of material over the past 20 years. Rock music and Axl fans are the real losers.

Quantity doesn't equal quality ;)

Quantity doesn't equal quality ;)

But you're missing the point: No matter how good Chinese is, (and I think it's a great album) or any other album, just one album in 20 years is not enough, or even close to what potentially Axl could have released, or most artists release.

It's a shame, and honestly, it feels a little silly for me to explain this. Especially when you look at what old Guns released in 5 years.

Even today, when bands take more time in average to release albums compared to the past when you had musicians releasing 2 albums in one year sometimes, it's still not really acceptable.

Musicians release music. It's as simple as that, and one album in 20 fucking years, no matter how good it is, is still not good enough for me to feel like everything is cool when so much time has been wasted and all we've got are 15 songs.

Edited by Rovim