This is a really Sad video

axlinkafayette

it will always be one of the sadest things to happen in rock music. i was only 10 when slash left, so i really dont have the frame of reference of the band as some on here who were older in the late 80s or 90s. the signs had to have been there though, i mean the revolving door of members coming in and out of the band, the whole incident in 1989 about members dancing with mr brownstone.

interviews about only talking on the phone and on and on. it is surprising the classic lineup lasted as long as it did.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it will always be one of the sadest things to happen in rock music. i was only 10 when slash left, so i really dont have the frame of reference of the band as some on here who were older in the late 80s or 90s. the signs had to have been there though, i mean the revolving door of members coming in and out of the band, the whole incident in 1989 about members dancing with mr brownstone.

interviews about only talking on the phone and on and on. it is surprising the classic lineup lasted as long as it did.

actually, it wasn't very obvious. back then, people didn't have the internet, so the only way to get information about bands was rock magazines or MTV. I doubt that many fans even knew about the dancing with mr. brownstone incident back then.

actually, it wasn't very obvious. back then, people didn't have the internet, so the only way to get information about bands was rock magazines or MTV. I doubt that many fans even knew about the dancing with mr. brownstone incident back then.

that is true as well.

I can't believe the shock for people who learned this seeing the news report on TV at the time.

Honestly, by 1996, GNR was the last thing on people's minds. There may have been a few die hard fans still around, but I was 16 then and I don't think I knew a single person who was into GNR. I wasn't even into them, and they were my favorite band from about 1989 until about 1992/1993.

I don't think many people were watching MTV News by that point, either.

Edited by nambis

I can't believe the shock for people who learned this seeing the news report on TV at the time.

What Nambis and TombRaider said is true. I remember my reaction, I heard it on the radio, I was a little surprised "Slash is not in GNR anymore?"... and 2 minutes later I forgot about it. There was so much other good bands at that time, Guns faded away by that time...

A new album next summer (1997)?

HAHAHAHA!

:laugh:

made me chuckle

the rest of the video made me depressed, especially the part about Suge Night behind bars. hope he got out!

Edited by RJ88

I felt it almost as a relief when the UYI lineup disintegrated. It had been such a drawn-out, painful process full of disappointments. The band didn't work at all anymore. It was just anger and conflicts. It was best they just called it quits rather than continue half-ass attempts at being a band. We all realized they would never be able to release msic again and we were frankly just happy they managed to release music post-AFD and tour as much as they did. I was so disillusioned with GN'R that I barely cared when Slash left. The band felt dead to me way before Slash left. But then Axl, to my surprise, decided that he wouldn't quit, too. And although that journey has been anything but successful, I am still very happy that he managed to add one more record to the discography of GN'R and I am very positive that more is to come in the future.

As for people here saying Axl is a dictator, here are a few contemporary quotes from people who know him better than you do:

Dizzy: He’s not by any means a tyrant as the media says he is. He is a lot of fun to work with and I learned so much from him as well. He pushes himself to the brink all the time. If only people realized how hard he works before and after the show and in the studio. I have an incredible amount of respect for him and it makes me better and push myself harder. [The Examiner, June 2013]

Dj: Working with him in real life is the exact opposite of everything the media says about him. He’s one of the nicest guys out there and one of my closest friends in the industry. [The Examiner, June 2013

Josh: You know, it wasn't [a pain in the ass working with Axl], it wasn't for me. You might talk to other people who will say it was. Everybody's always looking for a good Axl story from me, but I don't really have any, man, I know they are out there, but my personal experience, and experiences with him...he was always cool to me. I don't have anything bad to say about the guy. [PodAMatic, April 2013].

Richard: I’ve never had any difficulties with Axl. He’s far from a pussycat, but even further from what his reputation belies. I’ll tell you one thing, he has more musical integrity than any singer I have ever worked with. He also is a true musician. He is constantly listening and participating in the musical conversation. He’s not just waiting for his turn to sing his parts, he’s listening and then helps direct the conversation. It’s a pleasure to play with him. It can be an incredibly intense experience. I’ve never stood next to anyone on stage that is that intense. He is definitely exorcising demons at times! [Australian Guitar, March 2013].

Tommy: [Axl]’s a singer of a band and he’s a friend ... we have, you know, a working relationship for 16 years now. He’s a lot of fun to play with, he’s a good entertainer and he’s a force to be reckoned with [The Star, March 2013].

Dj: Axl is in a position where he doesn't have to be cool with the band but he treats us like gold. He lets us write our own solos and gives everybody their time to shine on stage and I think that says a lot about who he is. He has no problem sharing the spotlight, in fact he quite likes it - otherwise he'd be doing this interview and not me. [7 News, January 2013].

Richard: On whether Axl is misunderstood by most people: Oh, absolutely, because he doesn't defend himself in the press. There are a lot of people who take advantage of that, and ex-members know that's the way it is and they fully use that to their advantage [Total Guitar, December 2012].

Brain: [Axl’s] always treated me really good.[musicradar, October 2012].

Bumblefoot: Being asked if Axl is his friend or boss: More like my cousin's Uncle's friend's TV repairman. We spend more time laughing and joking, he's more friend than boss. [Teraz Rock Magazine, July 2012].

Dizzy: Being asked bout the public image of Axl being a megalomaniac: I think most of it is cruel and malicious and unnecessary. I don’t think he’s like that at all. He’s a good friend. He’s like a brother [Vindy.com, December 2011].

Tommy: He likes to actually collaborate with the people he’s playing with. He doesn’t bring them a song and say, ‘Here’s my song. Sing it.’ It’s kind of a strange, old-school, songwriter-producer thing. I don’t think he realizes that. He’s really good at getting people to write something that inspires him. [...] We get along great, we really do. It ain’t perfect, it’s not great every day. We’re all cantankerous in our own right. But the reason I’ve played with him so long is that we do get along [Chicago Sun Times, November 2011].

Dj: Obviously Axl runs the ship but, you know, it's like, with anything, he's very much 'This is a band'. It's very much a family. It's a really tight knit family [sVT Swedish Television, 2010].

Dizzy: Axl is very much into having a band. and he's one of the fairest, coolest, nicest guys that I've ever met... and that's just a fact. And I mean he treats us as band members but at the same time with any situation like that... there's always one person that's more important and you know is in charge and you have to know whose in charge. In every band, in every successful band, has a leader... he's the leader [Madagascar88, September 2005].

Want some quotes from Slash, Izzy and Duff about what a dictator Rose truly is? They know him pretty well themselves and none of them are dependent upon staying in his good graces, unlike the employees of the band now.

I felt it almost as a relief when the UYI lineup disintegrated. It had been such a drawn-out, painful process full of disappointments. The band didn't work at all anymore. It was just anger and conflicts. It was best they just called it quits rather than continue half-ass attempts at being a band. We all realized they would never be able to release msic again and we were frankly just happy they managed to release music post-AFD and tour as much as they did. I was so disillusioned with GN'R that I barely cared when Slash left. The band felt dead to me way before Slash left. But then Axl, to my surprise, decided that he wouldn't quit, too. And although that journey has been anything but successful, I am still very happy that he managed to add one more record to the discography of GN'R and I am very positive that more is to come in the future.

As for people here saying Axl is a dictator, here are a few contemporary quotes from people who know him better than you do:

Dizzy: Hes not by any means a tyrant as the media says he is. He is a lot of fun to work with and I learned so much from him as well. He pushes himself to the brink all the time. If only people realized how hard he works before and after the show and in the studio. I have an incredible amount of respect for him and it makes me better and push myself harder. [The Examiner, June 2013]

Dj: Working with him in real life is the exact opposite of everything the media says about him. Hes one of the nicest guys out there and one of my closest friends in the industry. [The Examiner, June 2013

Josh: You know, it wasn't [a pain in the ass working with Axl], it wasn't for me. You might talk to other people who will say it was. Everybody's always looking for a good Axl story from me, but I don't really have any, man, I know they are out there, but my personal experience, and experiences with him...he was always cool to me. I don't have anything bad to say about the guy. [PodAMatic, April 2013].

Richard: Ive never had any difficulties with Axl. Hes far from a pussycat, but even further from what his reputation belies. Ill tell you one thing, he has more musical integrity than any singer I have ever worked with. He also is a true musician. He is constantly listening and participating in the musical conversation. Hes not just waiting for his turn to sing his parts, hes listening and then helps direct the conversation. Its a pleasure to play with him. It can be an incredibly intense experience. Ive never stood next to anyone on stage that is that intense. He is definitely exorcising demons at times! [Australian Guitar, March 2013].

Tommy: [Axl]s a singer of a band and hes a friend ... we have, you know, a working relationship for 16 years now. Hes a lot of fun to play with, hes a good entertainer and hes a force to be reckoned with [The Star, March 2013].

Dj: Axl is in a position where he doesn't have to be cool with the band but he treats us like gold. He lets us write our own solos and gives everybody their time to shine on stage and I think that says a lot about who he is. He has no problem sharing the spotlight, in fact he quite likes it - otherwise he'd be doing this interview and not me. [7 News, January 2013].

Richard: On whether Axl is misunderstood by most people: Oh, absolutely, because he doesn't defend himself in the press. There are a lot of people who take advantage of that, and ex-members know that's the way it is and they fully use that to their advantage [Total Guitar, December 2012].

Brain: [Axls] always treated me really good.[musicradar, October 2012].

Bumblefoot: Being asked if Axl is his friend or boss: More like my cousin's Uncle's friend's TV repairman. We spend more time laughing and joking, he's more friend than boss. [Teraz Rock Magazine, July 2012].

Dizzy: Being asked bout the public image of Axl being a megalomaniac: I think most of it is cruel and malicious and unnecessary. I dont think hes like that at all. Hes a good friend. Hes like a brother [Vindy.com, December 2011].

Tommy: He likes to actually collaborate with the people hes playing with. He doesnt bring them a song and say, Heres my song. Sing it. Its kind of a strange, old-school, songwriter-producer thing. I dont think he realizes that. Hes really good at getting people to write something that inspires him. [...] We get along great, we really do. It aint perfect, its not great every day. Were all cantankerous in our own right. But the reason Ive played with him so long is that we do get along [Chicago Sun Times, November 2011].

Dj: Obviously Axl runs the ship but, you know, it's like, with anything, he's very much 'This is a band'. It's very much a family. It's a really tight knit family [sVT Swedish Television, 2010].

Dizzy: Axl is very much into having a band. and he's one of the fairest, coolest, nicest guys that I've ever met... and that's just a fact. And I mean he treats us as band members but at the same time with any situation like that... there's always one person that's more important and you know is in charge and you have to know whose in charge. In every band, in every successful band, has a leader... he's the leader [Madagascar88, September 2005].

Want some quotes from Slash, Izzy and Duff about what a dictator Rose truly is? They know him pretty well themselves and none of them are dependent upon staying in his good graces, unlike the employees of the band now.
he also cost them a lot of money so i think those opinions would be pretty biased... but so are the new members cuz theyre still getting paid

Dizzy: He’s not by any means a tyrant as the media says he is. He is a lot of fun to work with and I learned so much from him as well. He pushes himself to the brink all the time. If only people realized how hard he works before and after the show and in the studio. I have an incredible amount of respect for him and it makes me better and push myself harder. [The Examiner, June 2013]

Dj: Working with him in real life is the exact opposite of everything the media says about him. He’s one of the nicest guys out there and one of my closest friends in the industry. [The Examiner, June 2013

Richard: I’ve never had any difficulties with Axl. He’s far from a pussycat, but even further from what his reputation belies. I’ll tell you one thing, he has more musical integrity than any singer I have ever worked with. He also is a true musician. He is constantly listening and participating in the musical conversation. He’s not just waiting for his turn to sing his parts, he’s listening and then helps direct the conversation. It’s a pleasure to play with him. It can be an incredibly intense experience. I’ve never stood next to anyone on stage that is that intense. He is definitely exorcising demons at times! [Australian Guitar, March 2013].

Tommy: [Axl]’s a singer of a band and he’s a friend ... we have, you know, a working relationship for 16 years now. He’s a lot of fun to play with, he’s a good entertainer and he’s a force to be reckoned with [The Star, March 2013].

Dizzy: Being asked bout the public image of Axl being a megalomaniac: I think most of it is cruel and malicious and unnecessary. I don’t think he’s like that at all. He’s a good friend. He’s like a brother [Vindy.com, December 2011].

Tommy: He likes to actually collaborate with the people he’s playing with. He doesn’t bring them a song and say, ‘Here’s my song. Sing it.’ It’s kind of a strange, old-school, songwriter-producer thing. I don’t think he realizes that. He’s really good at getting people to write something that inspires him. [...] We get along great, we really do. It ain’t perfect, it’s not great every day. We’re all cantankerous in our own right. But the reason I’ve played with him so long is that we do get along [Chicago Sun Times, November 2011].

if axl paid me good money i'd kiss his ass too. SM list of quotes proves nothing.

if axl paid me good money i'd kiss his ass too. SM list of quotes proves nothing.

It's not meant to "prove" anything.

* It is possible Axl behaved like a dictator back in the 90s but aren't today (in-line with old quotes from ex-members and current quotes from current members).

* It is also possible that Axl has behaved like a dictator all the time but that all the current members lack the integrity and manhood to talk about this, even Bumblefoot during one of his outbursts where he seems to have very little in terms of inhibitions.

* It is also possible that Axl has never behaved like a dictator but that ex-members felt it opportune to attack him in this ways when they felt out-manoeuvred and marginalized.

My point was that we don't really know and that I tend to trust people who know Axl as he is today.

Yes, if you have recent quotes from these ex-members where they talk about recent experiences with Axl, because surely you understand that 20 year old quotes means zero if we are to talk about how Axl is today.

I am talking about how I felt.

I was 20 in 1996.

GN'R was on the brink of falling apart already back in the 80s. It was amazing it lasted as long it did before the last members of the AFD lineup left the band. Yes, they were big in the early 90s, but "everybody" knew about the huge internal problems and that it wouldn't last.

I agree. There was no hiding the band was reckless and could fall apart at anytime. But I disagree that everybody knew it wouldn't last. Nobody saw Slash leaving. At the very least, nobody saw the band continuing without Slash, that's for sure.

I remember being at a Halloween party that year and the radio DJs kept talking about it and not playing music. It was breaking news in the RNR world at the time. I think the best phrase would be people were "surprised but not shocked". I still don't know how you picked up a vibe that the band didn't work out anymore or couldn't release music - if anything, I remember the story being they were on hiatus and would be recording again after Snakepit. It's easy to dig up a one-off interview on YouTube now with Slash bashing Paul Huge in 1995, but most press interviews had him, Duff and Matt repeating the same thing: we're on hiatus or we're working on an album.

It was more than that. It was the problems already back in the 80s, it was the problems being able to create UYI, the postponements, it was the anger during the UYI touring, it was comments from Slash and Duff towards Axl, it was the solo albums, it was Izzy leaving, it was how the band changed and the apparent disagreements in regards to the direction of the band, etc etc. I was disintegration in slow-motion. But yes, the band grew massively popular despite all this and to casual fans and followers everything might have seemed honky dory during the 90s. I was not surprised at all when Slash left. I was surprised him or Axl hadn't left earlier. To me, the band stopped being a band in 1993.

Luckily Axl picked up the pieces and reassembled the band.

Soulmonster, I'm curious what are you basing your feeling off of? It seems a little too Monday morning quarterbacking for me given your previous comments on original/UYI GNR.

I am not sure I understand what you mean, but I hope I answered your question in a recent post.

As for the last par of your sentence. I was and am a huge AFD/UYI lineup fan. That didn't prevent me, or actually it probably helped me, to realize that the band was going doing the drain. I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I'm pretty sure these nuGn'R guys speak a lot of shit and joke around at Axl's expense... Not many around who just say nice things about their bosses. I'd love to hear what someone down to earth like Bumblefoot would have to say about Axl and his extended 'family'. :)

Edited by trqster

I have to give it to Duff...GNR went out with a whimper and not a bang.

Suddenly in a very short amount of time they ruled as kings and were on the threshold of being even bigger and better than they ever were but in Duffs opinion they got too big to fast and there were too many people running interferance between the members.

Think about it like this. You are a integral vital part of a band and have poured your heart and soul into making that band the biggest and best band on the scene. Your fans are rabid and the legions are loyal and love what you do. in a period of 5 years you have gone from being a bar band to playing stadiums, and just completed the biggest and longest touring run in history. You come back to the states to regroup and to revitalize. Suddenly your a paid employee of a whole new GNR corporation thatyou have zilch sayso about, your whole status is controlled by Axl. Your image and your imput are downgraded/demoted to please Axl, Your employment is at will and to Axls liking. Your at Axls mercy, on his dime and held hostage to his time. Your at held hostage to his "muse" and his current "vision" of what GNR is. You show up one day only to find that he has decided to add a good buddy chum to the lineup without consultation (Paul Huge) and rumours are that hes looking for another power guitarist to compete with you and or replace you all together, OR share the spotlight with you outright. You learn that the "vision" is to continue to write, produce, record and sing songs that do not reflect anything but that which inspires or is meaningful to Axl. You learn that what will be done and said is going to be vastly different in sound and scope than what the original vision was intended to be...So going to less pay and even less say in a "band" you were vital in promoting and making HUGE to be on standby status on beck and call.

AFTER you had just written and played on 4 of the most successful albums in that era/ever.

AFTER you had just rocked the world for 2 long years and been exposed to the big time.

AFTER other artists sought out your playing and world wide praise and applaud recognize your sound as awesome.

AFTER you had achieved fame and fortune as THE GUITARIST for GNR...suddenly Your image and place/music largely serveing AXl and Axls new corporation GNR. In essence you would have become the band for Axls solo album.

Lets say for hypothetical purposes that Slash had stayed on board. Then what? Would Axl have shared the spotlight and the spoils or ...well what does he do now?

I have to give it to Duff...GNR went out with a whimper and not a bang.

Suddenly in a very short amount of time they ruled as kings and were on the threshold of being even bigger and better than they ever were but in Duffs opinion they got too big to fast and there were too many people running interferance between the members.

Think about it like this. You are a integral vital part of a band and have poured your heart and soul into making that band the biggest and best band on the scene. Your fans are rabid and the legions are loyal and love what you do. in a period of 5 years you have gone from being a bar band to playing stadiums, and just completed the biggest and longest touring run in history. You come back to the states to regroup and to revitalize. Suddenly your a paid employee of a whole new GNR corporation thatyou have zilch sayso about, your whole status is controlled by Axl. Your image and your imput are downgraded/demoted to please Axl, Your employment is at will and to Axls liking. Your at Axls mercy, on his dime and held hostage to his time. Your at held hostage to his "muse" and his current "vision" of what GNR is. You show up one day only to find that he has decided to add a good buddy chum to the lineup without consultation (Paul Huge) and rumours are that hes looking for another power guitarist to compete with you and or replace you all together, OR share the spotlight with you outright. You learn that the "vision" is to continue to write, produce, record and sing songs that do not reflect anything but that which inspires or is meaningful to Axl. You learn that what will be done and said is going to be vastly different in sound and scope than what the original vision was intended to be...So going to less pay and even less say in a "band" you were vital in promoting and making HUGE to be on standby status on beck and call.

AFTER you had just written and played on 4 of the most successful albums in that era/ever.

AFTER you had just rocked the world for 2 long years and been exposed to the big time.

AFTER other artists sought out your playing and world wide praise and applaud recognize your sound as awesome.

AFTER you had achieved fame and fortune as THE GUITARIST for GNR...suddenly Your image and place/music largely serveing AXl and Axls new corporation GNR. In essence you would have become the band for Axls solo album.

Lets say for hypothetical purposes that Slash had stayed on board. Then what? Would Axl have shared the spotlight and the spoils or ...well what does he do now?

WELL SAID!

Axl should have blown up G N R right there in 96 or 97 at the latest when Matt and Duff left....and started from Scratch with a brand new band that plays G N R songs, ALA Slash!

I'm pretty sure these nuGn'R guys speak a lot of shit and joke around at Axl's expense... Not many around who just say nice things about their bosses. I'd love to hear what someone down to earth like Bumblefoot would have to say about Axl and his extended 'family'. :)

But they don't only say positive things. I have lots of quotes of band members saying negative things, but none of them are saying he is a dictator. In fact, many of them praise how they are all involved in the music creation process.

Edited by SoulMonster