Chinese Democracy was NOT a failure

ManetsBR

Black Ice (AC/DC) - 6,5 million copies sold.

Death Magnetic (Metallica) - 9 million copies sold.

The Circle (Bon Jovi) - 3 millions copies sold.

No Line In The Horizon (U2) - 5 millions copies sold.

All studio albums by huge old rock bands. Chinese Democracy sold more than 7 million copies!

"Oh, but all those other albums didn't cost 14 million dollars to produce." Well, Best Buy paied all that value to release the album, so if Chinese Democracy had sold one single copy, it wouldn't have been a failure already. But no, it sold more than 7 million copies, more than other huge bands with their albums released on 2008/2009.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it ever been verified that Chinese Democracy actually sold in excess of 7 million? I believe that figure has been disputed heavily.

Has it ever been verified that Chinese Democracy actually sold in excess of 7 million? I believe that figure has been disputed heavily.

CD might have sold that many, but Best Buy bought most of them. Best Buy eventually liquidated all of their extra copies, and Dollar Giant (I think it was) bought many. I've seen it in the dollar stores, and have posted my photo of it on this forum. There are also other photos posted on the internet. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually dumped many of the copies, like Atari did with ET in the early 1980s.

no,Axl morris,it wouldn't.

You don't have any way of knowing that.

Manets: I don't think Chinese actually sold 7 million copies. Can you prove it? Do you have any source? I'm gonna call bullshit on that until you provide proof.

It probably sold well could have sold more but that doesn't change the fact that it sucks next to classic GnR.

I think it's a worthy addition to the Gn'R catalog.

Edited by Rovim

On 2010 when Guns N' Roses announced a concert in Chile, Universal Music Group from Chile published a press release about it, mentioning that Chinese Democracy had sold over 6 million copies worldwide. That was on the beggining of 2010 and the source was UMG itself.

Edited by ManetsBR

On 2010 when Guns N' Roses announced a concert in Chile, Universal Music Group from Chile published a press release about it, mentioning that Chinese Democracy had sold over 6 million copies worldwide. That was on the beggining of 2010 and the source was UMG itself.

Not sure if that's a credible source or not, but can you post it?

Plus, that's 6 million, not 7, so did you just figured it sold a million copies in 3 years since 2010? Hmmm.... still not sure about how true it is.

Come on, that came from the infamous HBK. Chinese Democracy has SOLD OUT :rofl-lol:

Edited by NGOG

You don't have any way of knowing the contrary. Very pointless, huh? :lol:

But I didn't say I had any way to know the contrary. On the contrary: We have no way of knowing that.

Didn't think you'd mind a very pointless post given your particular style of posting.

Edited by Rovim

But I didn't say I had any way to know the contrary. On the contrary: We have no way of knowing that.

But you said he didn't have a way of knowing that when he was contradicting what someone else assumed. Both of them used "would" so there was no point of correcting him since no one, including you and me, have a way of knowing that.

Didn't think you'd mind a very pointless post given your particular style of posting.

"Didn't think you'd mind" is incorrect since you had no idea I would reply to one of your posts. My style of posting is irrelevant to the discussion. Stay on topic.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

All studio albums by huge old rock bands. Chinese Democracy sold more than 7 million copies!

"Oh, but all those other albums didn't cost 14 million dollars to produce." Well, Best Buy paied all that value to release the album, so if Chinese Democracy had sold one single copy, it wouldn't have been a failure already. But no, it sold more than 7 million copies, more than other huge bands with their albums released on 2008/2009.

The other bands didn't have nuthead fans (the Jarmo kind) buying 80 cds of Chinese Democracy each to boost the sales go up... that only happens in the New GNR community my friend.

And let's not even go to when Chinese Democracy cost 2 dollars or something like that, by then you had people on HTGTH re-buying the album 7 or 8 times to have 1 in the car, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the restroom, 1 in the garage etc etc etc

Some people really went paranoid with New GNR...

Edited by AndreCC

But you said he didn't have a way of knowing that when he was contradicting what someone else assumed. Both of them used "would" so there was no point of correcting him since no one, including you and me, have no way of knowing that.

But he didn't know that or at least made it seem like he could know that they wouldn't sell more, so while I was aware that we have no way of knowing that, or the opposite of it, I corrected him.

Edited by Rovim

I'd assume many sales came from overseas. It certainly floundered in North America - debuted iirc in 3rd place and quickly plummeted. They might be including the copies Best Buy purchased in those figures, sort of like Jay Z selling a million copies because of Samsung buying them before his record was even released.

The other bands didn't have nuthead fans (the Jarmo kind) buying 80 cds of Chinese Democracy each to boost the sales go up... that only happens in the New GNR community my friend.

And let's not even go to when Chinese Democracy cost 2 dollars or something like that, by then you had people on HTGTH re-buying the album 7 or 8 times to have 1 in the car, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the restroom, 1 in the garage etc etc etc

Some people really went paranoid with New GNR...

How do you know it only happens in the new Gn'R community?

Plenty of 'nuthead fans' of other bands that make it at least possible for it to occure outside of Gn'R land.

But you said he didn't have a way of knowing that when he was contradicting what someone else assumed. Both of them used "would" so there was no point of correcting him since no one, including you and me, have a way of knowing that.

But he didn't know that or at least made it seem like he could know that they wouldn't sell more, so while I was aware that we have no way of knowing that, or the opposite of it, I corrected him.

But you're forgetting the post he replied to. An assumption cannot be corrected, he used "would" to contradict what other user assumed. You, on the other hand, corrected him by saying he had no way of knowing that, which is pointless since you don't know that either, and probably will never know, since it's the past.

"Didn't think you'd mind" is incorrect since you had no idea I would reply to one of your posts. My style of posting is irrelevant to the discussion. Stay on topic.

Huh? it was in reply to your post and more specifically to what you said about it being pointless so I assumed you'd reply to what I had to say and I was right, you did.

Don't worry about how correct I am. I made a comment about your style of posting cause I saw the irony in you telling me a post of mine was pointless, just like I see the irony now when you tell me to stay on topic. I will if you will.

We all know that in this particular record and case... a lot of fans felt sorry for Axl and were basically really worried about this new band not succeeding. I mean we heard all those stories about people trying to turn friends back to GNR and "giving a chance" to this new band. When really they just wanted to stick this band up their friend's bottoms and make them like it whether they sucked or not.

The album hadn't yet come out and you already had people saying they would buy more than one copy and "help" the band. You had several people also doing free promotion to the band.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but certainly it boost up the sales...after all we are the ones that buy the cds...

You also had people in a vendetta to try to make CD have bigger sales than Velvet Revolver... which is insane in my view. Not that GNR needed that... having the brand name "Guns N'Roses" is enough to top VR's sales, even if the cd is a brick full of shitty songs, however i do remember a group of fans on a certain other forum, saying that they would do anything for Chinese Democracy to be more successful than Contraband or Libertad (Believe it or not it's true).

Mostly people got emotionally involved with this Chinese Democracy project and with NEW GNR and to me that was one of the main factors for the cd to sell so much copies. That and the GNR brand name, which automatically gives you a few million of copies sold without you even knowing what's on the record and if you like it or not.

That's why Axl kept the name. The GNR brand name is a million dollar bag. If it wasn't for the name, UNIVERSAL would have kicked Axl in the butt a long time ago...

I wasn't aware it had been 7 million either btw... thought it was 4 million copies sold. Could be wrong though

Edited by AndreCC

Huh? it was in reply to your post and more specifically to what you said about it being pointless so I assumed you'd reply to what I had to say and I was right, you did.

Don't worry about how correct I am. I made a comment about your style of posting cause I saw the irony in you telling me a post of mine was pointless, just like I see the irony now when you tell me to stay on topic. I will if you will.

Your post wasn't pointless, you trying to correct someone that didn't need to be corrected, was. And yeah, let's all believe you assumed I'd reply to your post. :lol:

Your post wasn't pointless, you trying to correct someone that didn't need to be corrected, was. And yeah, let's all believe you assumed I'd reply to your post. :lol:

I didn't try to correct him, I corrected him. The Only thing that's pointless here is debating the question if it was or wasn't pointless to correct him with you.

I assumed you'd reply to my post just like I assume at least half of your posts will contain the word 'awful'. It's not hard to do.

But you're forgetting the post he replied to. An assumption cannot be corrected, he used "would" to contradict what other user assumed. You, on the other hand, corrected him by saying he had no way of knowing that, which is pointless since you don't know that either, and probably will never know, since it's the past.

Actually I didn't forget anything. You are just being technical for the sake of being technical. He stated they wouldn't sell more and that wasn't possible to know. I knew I have no way of knowing that and I wanted to let him know that he didn't have any way of knowing that either.

Edited by Rovim