Changes to MYGNRFORUM.com

highvoltage

Hi Everyone,

For the past 6 months (or longer), it's been clear that the quality of discussion on the board has reached a particularly low point.

For most of this year, the staff have spent a lot of time discussing ways to approach this issue - but a solution has been difficult to reach. When we took over a year ago, we felt that a relaxed, laid back approach to moderating would work well. We also thought that plans for new music and a blu-ray release were well underway.

Instead where we're at seems to be:

• Members are openly abusing each other more than ever with little concern for any consequences
  • The current era of GN'R does not make for particularly stimulating discussion at the moment as a perpetual touring band
  • A lot of members feel let down by the state of the site

All in all, not exactly the "hassle-free" environment we were hoping to create 12 months ago. It's become increasingly difficult to separate trolls from people genuinely frustrated by a lack of new music. I know all the mods, Subsy and myself still care a lot more about this place than many realise - while the passion we share for the new band may have diminished after so many years of the same thing, I can honestly say that the passion for the community has not.

To bring some life back into this place, we've come up with a few changes and decisions, some big, some small:

1. The DISCUSSION AND NEWS section is now open to all-era GN'R discussion. It's our hope that broadening the scope of D&N will lead to a wider variety of threads created in the section. All subforums under HALL OF FAME have been closed. Attitude will remain open for now, but it's status is under-review.

2. A new section, SIDE PROJECTS will replace FORMER GUNNERS, for discussion of side projects from all members past and present. Everything from Bumblefoot's first solo album to Slash + Myles and the Conspirators can be discussed here.

3. The CANTER BANTER section has been promoted to a category. We really want to thank Marc for continuing to answer member's questions and engaging with our community, this section has been one of the highlights of the board over the past year. If you haven't already, check out his amazing book Reckless Road, it's easily the most informative and beautifully presented record of the lead-up to the release of Appetite. He hasn't asked for this but I'd like to link it as it's an absolute bargain at the moment.

4. The INTERNATIONAL sections will be closed in 1 week. These haven't taken off in the way we'd hoped - we're going to close these sections as they're rarely used.

5. We've created a new subforum for television and film discussion, SEEN THAT MOVIE TOO. This is due to the recent suggestion and consistent popularity of the TV and film threads in AG. Thanks to Randy Lahey for putting this one forward, we all thought it was a great idea.

6. Our approach to moderating is going to change. There will be no further tolerance for abusive posts outside the Attitude section - they'll be removed, and members who have had a previous warning for this will be banned immediately. With respect to trolling and bashing, the following approach will be taken:

Posts like:

• Axl doesn't sound as good as he used to / I really wish the new band would release something - Fine, these are expressing a viewpoint
  • Looooool, Axl is a washed up fat loser / Fuck Axl, he should quit / Fuck $lash, he's a sellout - Repeatedly posting this kind of thing is not OK and isn't constructive or interesting posting.

We've let it slide for a while and things have gone way too far in all directions. As part of cracking down on this, we're introducing section bannings from the main Discussion forums for repeat offenders.

It's time people showed more respect for one another. This extends to the mod team and posts in the Support forum. This section is for suggestions and technical issues only, it's not a section to complain about mod decisions -- If you have a complaint, raise it via PM with an admin.

The board recently passed a milestone - 3 million posts in just under 12 years. We'd love to see a million more - even if we don't, we want to continue to be the best GN'R community on the Internet, where people can express their opinions freely. Fans of all eras of this band have always been welcome here, old and new. It's our hope that these changes will improve the standard of discussion and debate, particularly in the main section.

We hope these decisions will be well-received by all of you.

Thanks,

The MYGNRFORUM team

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TV and Series thing is excellent, congrats Randy for the idea and Mod Squad for making it happen. As for Attitude, I really think it should be gone. Discussion And News should englobe all the GNR talk, after all it's not only news, it's DISCUSSION and News.

Cool with the changes. Thanks for the hard work.

Wish you guys would have addressed the increase in racist/homophobic/bigotry posts in AG

I get the Trayvon trial, Paula Dean and all that stuff, but still...

Edited by SunnyDRE

Great stuff guys! :)

I think sticking to one "all era's GnR" section and one "GnR-related" section is much better! The Movie/series section will also make a lot of people happy. :)

Edited by username

Awesome!

Love the changes guys, good stuff!

Especially like the there are no more restrictions on band era in D & N as well as more moderating on the cupcakes.

Good luck, hopefully this turns things around for the better!

This

1. The DISCUSSION AND NEWS section is now open to all-era GN'R discussion. It's our hope that broadening the scope of D&N will lead to a wider variety of threads created in the section. All subforums under HALL OF FAME have been closed. Attitude will remain open for now, but it's status is under-review.

2. A new section, SIDE PROJECTS will replace FORMER GUNNERS, for discussion of side projects from all members past and present. Everything from Bumblefoot's first solo album to Slash + Myles and the Conspirators can be discussed here.

Thank you so much! I've been wanting this for so long!

As for Attitude, the lines between that section and the main one had blurred considerably, but maybe with the new changes it might make sense to keep it.

Not to be a dick here but I'm completely opposed to the changes to the D&N section.

I'm just looking forward to seeing what happens to you the next time you go off on one of your anti Slash rants. :lol:

Not to be a dick here but I'm completely opposed to the changes to the D&N section.

I'm just looking forward to seeing what happens to you the next time you go off on one of your anti Slash rants. :lol:

There is no discussion to be had about a guitar player that quit on his friends, band mates and fans over 17 years ago.

There is no discussion to be had about a guitar player that quit on his friends, band mates and fans over 17 years ago.

But there is and now it can be done in D&N. :lol:

What was so bad about Don't Damn Me? Those were polls right? What's so bad about polls?

Nothing, which is why they'll now be in the main section where they belong, and not shoved off into some dusty corner that no one reads.

Oh ok got ya! I always wondered why they had to be posted somewhere else! Good move!

What was so bad about Don't Damn Me? Those were polls right? What's so bad about polls?

Nothing, which is why they'll now be in the main section where they belong, and not shoved off into some dusty corner that no one reads.

Oh ok got ya! I always wondered why they had to be posted somewhere else! Good move!

Correct. :)