What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I saw that at the cinema when it came out, omg the greenhouse scene:blink:

I love films like that, sort of English social realism films, apparently this film had a hand in the ending of Borstals and that, which to me is an amazing thing, kinda like how Cathy Come Home helped the lobby for social reform with like...how familys were split up in the 60s by social services when they were homeless or whatever.  It really makes you think and they're like, y'know, relevant not only in the context of their times but of course too, what with people increasingly calling for reform in government assistance and all that harsher penalties for the dole scum and all that.  

Brilliant film though eh, seen it a good few times before but it never gets old.  The rape weren't as discomforting to me as the bit where he's in the cell on his own and crying and slits his wrists and like...it's just so unforgiving, deliberately so i suppose, no cutting away, no making it easier on the viewer, you're there, in there, with him and every second feels like an hour.  Truly powerful cinema.

• Like 2

@Len Cnut did you see Scrubbers? It was the female equivalent to Scum but not very good though.Old fat Pat from Eastenders was in it.

I just remembered an old series you might like called Fox.Ray Winstone is in it, i think it was just after Scum, really good TV series.

Edited by janrichmond

Just now, janrichmond said:

@Len Cnut did you see Scrubbers? It was the female equivalent to Scum but not very good though.Old fat Pat from Eastenders was in it.

I did yes and congratulations for being the only other person i ever met whoose seen that fuckin' film :lol:  Kathy Burke is in it too.

• Like 2

Oh right, yeah, pardon my down syndrome :lol:. Nah, I've not seen Fox, i'll have to have a butchers.  Hes been in some odd shit though, has Ray.  I saw him in a film with Steve Jones, Paul Cook and Paul Simonon once called Ladies and Gentleman The Fabulous Stains.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 0:53 PM, Len Cnut said:

Nah, I've not seen Fox, i'll have to have a butchers.  

i am beginning to think that the US and Great Britain do not actually speak the same language :lol:

i watched a British film actually called The Mother w/Daniel Craig. it was very intriguing to say the least...

11 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i am beginning to think that the US and Great Britain do not actually speak the same language :lol:

i watched a British film actually called The Mother w/Daniel Craig. it was very intriguing to say the least...

Watch Scum, you might like it:

• Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 10:24 PM, Angelica said:

Obligatory end of year This is the Stuff I Liked Best list: Manchester by the Sea, The Handmaiden, Moonlight, La La Land, Elle, Jackie, Weiner, Christine, I Am Not Your Negro, Hell and High Water, Nocturnal Animals, Arrival, Love and Friendship, The Nice Guys, The Monster, Oasis: Supersonic, Don't Breathe, Edge of Seventeen, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Gimmie Danger.

Favorite movie of the year?