What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

I'm watching Reservoir Dogs tonight! rock4

Would you agree that it's Tarantino's best work?

That and Jackie Brown.

Hell no. Pulp Fiction, Basterds, True Romance and Django are all more memorable than Jackie Brown.

Guest Len B'stard

I'm watching Reservoir Dogs tonight! rock4

Would you agree that it's Tarantino's best work?

That and Jackie Brown.

Agreed.

Guest Len B'stard

Tarantino movies trade on cool. This is why Pulp Fiction, amazing as it is, doesn't really stand up to the rest anymore because it traded on a sort of retro cool and when retro ain't cool no more then it takes it's legs away. Jackie Brown will always stand up because it trades on cool and a certain retro cool but it also has characters with substance and it's those that carry the movie, Dogs trades on like, a timeless cool, though it is also kinda retro it has a sort of iconography, black suits, skinny ties and also, the claustrophobia of the film i.e. it takes places on a limited number of sets make the movie kind of unique and timeless in that regard, Dogs will look cool 50 years from now.

Jackie Brown is the only real movie apart from Django that Tarantino has made where you have characters of a sort of substance, Pulp Fictions characters are like cardboard cut outs...and thats not a criticism either, they're not really meant to be substancial, PF is more about the tale and how it is woven together.

Edited by sugaraylen

RD > PF > JB = IB > DU > KB > DP

This is how I would rank Tarantino's work (personal preferences aside):

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Dogs

3. True Romance

4. Basterds

5. Django

6. Jackie Brown

7. Kill Bill Vol. 1

8. Kill Bill Vol. 2

125. Death Proof

Edited by NGOG

Currently watching The Man With the Iron Fists. You can tell a lot of money went into and RZA did a fair job but overall the movie is boring.

True Romance was directed by Tony Scott but the script is QT? it really feels like a Tarantino movie though.

What an all-star cast in TR. I have it on DVD and never understood why they didn't cut in the pussy eating scene in its entirety.

Guest Len B'stard

Been watching some odd movies actually

Look Whoose Talking and Look Whoose Talking too, hadn't seen em before

apart from that just been having a bit of a Kung Fu revival, watched The Big Boss the other night.

Finally saw the new Evil Dead today...pretty good. I'm interested to see how everything all ties together, since it's apparently not a reboot but rather a separate installment in the same universe.

Oh, and my ranking for the Tarantino flicks:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Django Unchained

3. Inglorious Basterds

4. Kill Bill Vol. 2

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. Jackie Brown

7. Death Proof

8. Kill Bill Vol. 1

Finally saw the new Evil Dead today...pretty good. I'm interested to see how everything all ties together, since it's apparently not a reboot but rather a separate installment in the same universe.

Has Raimi confirmed that? I remember reading that but last I checked it was just a fan theory (though entirely possible and an interesting one at that). If that's true, I like that idea a lot and would like to see Bruce back eventually, though I wouldn't want his involvement to "ruin" the more serious tone direction the newer movie has taken.

Has Raimi confirmed that? I remember reading that but last I checked it was just a fan theory (though entirely possible and an interesting one at that). If that's true, I like that idea a lot and would like to see Bruce back eventually, though I wouldn't want his involvement to "ruin" the more serious tone direction the newer movie has taken.

good movie... probably the best horror flick ive seen since saw 1

Apparently there's gonna be another trilogy that runs parallel to the original, plus a seventh film which ties the story lines of Ash and Mia.