IF Axl & Slash were to randomly cross paths?

Snowmass

Marc- In 2006 Matt Sorum & Axl randomly met in NYC while out on the town, and according to Matt it went well. "While getting out of the cab I run into Sean Lennon who was leaving and when inside there was Axl Rose. Oh my God. I hadn't seen him in at least six years. I walked over and said hello. We shook hands. And it was pleasant. Later that evening I ended up in a loft somewhere in the East Village where Axl was again. We spoke for quite some time. And it was nice to clear some things up. I told him how great of a frontman he was while I was in the band and no hard feelings from me at all. It was an all-around good vibe, I think. After the party ended. Axl gave me a ride back to my hotel in his suburban."

And ofcourse there was the random Duff/Axl hotel hook up story from London a couple years back. Say Axl & Slash were to have a similar random meeting, what do you think would happen? Provided Axl's team of people (Beta et al) were not around, would Axl actually acknowledge and talk to Slash?

Marc- In 2006 Matt Sorum & Axl randomly met in NYC while out on the town, and according to Matt it went well. "While getting out of the cab I run into Sean Lennon who was leaving and when inside there was Axl Rose. Oh my God. I hadn't seen him in at least six years. I walked over and said hello. We shook hands. And it was pleasant. Later that evening I ended up in a loft somewhere in the East Village where Axl was again. We spoke for quite some time. And it was nice to clear some things up. I told him how great of a frontman he was while I was in the band and no hard feelings from me at all. It was an all-around good vibe, I think. After the party ended. Axl gave me a ride back to my hotel in his suburban."

And ofcourse there was the random Duff/Axl hotel hook up story from London a couple years back. Say Axl & Slash were to have a similar random meeting, what do you think would happen? Provided Axl's team of people (Beta et al) were not around, would Axl actually acknowledge and talk to Slash?

Where did Matt say this?

Where did Matt say this?

You can find original story in blabbermouth or http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=4520 or about 25 other outlets.

would Axl actually acknowledge and talk to Slash?

Slash would approach him. Slash doesn't have "the problem". If NO ONE was around, as you say, I'm sure Slash would kind of enjoy that. The question is whether Axl would run away. I could easily see it, although I'd hope that if Slash came over out of the blue, with no intermediaries involved, they could have the same interaction as with Matt.

However, moreblack already beat me to the punch. Axl has people to prevent this from happening unfortuntately. It would have to be a REALLY accidental encounter, but I don't know if Axl ever travels without security.

If Axl were to bump into Slash and no one else was there to stop it, I think they would talk and it would go on all night.

If Axl were to bump into Slash and no one else was there to stop it, I think they would talk and it would go on all night.

Thanks for response. I think so too....I think Axl (alone) with Slash would be huge, and probably extremely emotional (for Axl and maybe both).

You really think Axl would just talk to him and not claw his way out of the room? I find this very surprising.

No I do.....but I think after Axl was broken (like a new puppy etc...) he'd let the tears/emotions flow and realize what he's done. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

You really think Axl would just talk to him and not claw his way out of the room? I find this very surprising.

No I do.....but I think after Axl was broken (like a new puppy etc...) he'd let the tears/emotions flow and realize what he's done. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I would think the same way as Dariablue. I just don't think it could be THAT easy, if that makes sense. Although I would agree that once they had started the conversation Axl could get into it. There's two parts of getting them together, which is getting them in the same place which seems hard enough, and then two actually getting Axl to reciprocate and act rationally around people (LOL).

I do hope it would be as easy as Marc makes it sound.

Marc, were Slash to drive to Axl's house today, sober and by himself, and ask to chat, what would Axl do?

I know a sober Slash is unlikely to do that. I'm just wondering if the problem with the previous drive to Axl's for a makeup was 1) Perla being there too 2) Slash being wasted 3) Beta interception of Slash ....or was it just that it was Slash and nothing's ever going to change that now ?

Marc, do you think Axl spends more time thinking about Slash or Slash thinks more about Axl?

I'd have to bet its the former. Slash has moved on, and I really do think he only thinks about Axl when he has to when questions are asked to them. He's always doing 10 different things, he's got a family and a bunch of famous friends. He knows, accepts and is proud of Guns N Roses being his past, but he certainly doesn't harp on it all the time unless he is really asked about it. It seems, from an outside perspective.

On the other hand, Axl tours as Guns N Roses. I'm sure he thinks every day about the original members, because he plays music that they created. He's created his own hell, because he can't escape Slash. Its inevitable that he'll come up when you refuse to put out new music and are forced to play stuff Slash has made iconic. Also, Axl seems like a guy that doesn't forgive much so I'm sure he holds a grudge against Slash, whereas Slash seems to (smartly) not care since it was all so long ago. Axl is the one keeping Slash away, and I'm sure when you do that you are constantly thinking about the guy. Or at least I'm sure Axl thinks about Slash at least 4 times a week, whereas there are probably weeks that go by where Slash doesn't think about Axl. Again, this is all speculation on my part, but I'd be pretty surprised if this wasn't the truth.

Marc, were Slash to drive to Axl's house today, sober and by himself, and ask to chat, what would Axl do?

I know a sober Slash is unlikely to do that. I'm just wondering if the problem with the previous drive to Axl's for a makeup was 1) Perla being there too 2) Slash being wasted 3) Beta interception of Slash ....or was it just that it was Slash and nothing's ever going to change that now ?

Slash is pretty much done with trying to make something happen between them. They are both very upset with each other but the difference is Slash was willing to forget about the past and just move forward. Axl is not willing to forget and move forward. Also Slash is only upset about things that were going on before 1996, Axl is upset about that time and al ot the things that Slash has said about what went down for the last 17 years. I thought they just both needed to do one record with out each other and then they would be ready to work together again, It was true for Slash but not for Axl.

Marc, do you think Axl spends more time thinking about Slash or Slash thinks more about Axl?

Axl thinks more about Slash But I know Slash knows what they had together and I'm sure thinks about what a waste that so far they are not able to work together again.

Maybe in 10 years Axl will be ready to move on and forget about the past. Sometimes time can heal.

Edited by recklessroad

Slash is pretty much done with trying to make something happen between them. They are both very upset with each other but the difference is Slash was willing to forget about the past and just move forward. Axl is not willing to forget and move forward. Also Slash is only upset about things that were going on before 1996, Axl is upset about that time and al ot the things that Slash has said about what went down for the last 17 years. I thought they just both needed to do one record with out each other and then they would be ready to work together again, It was true for Slash but not for Axl.

Axl thinks more about Slash But I know Slash knows what they had together and I'm sure thinks about what a waste that so far they are not able to work together again.

Maybe in 10 years Axl will be ready to move on and forget about the past. Sometimes time can heal.

I hope it does for all of you guys. I mean your friendships, that's more important then music or books.

I thought they just both needed to do one record with out each other and then they would be ready to work together again, It was true for Slash but not for Axl.

if that was the case why did he quit instead of just stopping things for a while?

Because Axl had turned GNR into a dictatorship and wouldn't let people have their own ideas. So Slash smartly (unlike the hired Guns today) stood up for himself and said "fuck this, I have enough fame and talent at this point to go off on my own and be happy, instead of pleasing Sir Axl Rose." Its too bad, but thats what Axl was at that point, and no one's had the balls to stand up to him since.

I thought they just both needed to do one record with out each other and then they would be ready to work together again, It was true for Slash but not for Axl.

if that was the case why did he quit instead of just stopping things for a while?

Because Axl had turned GNR into a dictatorship and wouldn't let people have their own ideas. So Slash smartly (unlike the hired Guns today) stood up for himself and said "fuck this, I have enough fame and talent at this point to go off on my own and be happy, instead of pleasing Sir Axl Rose." Its too bad, but thats what Axl was at that point, and no one's had the balls to stand up to him since.

Remember Slash also demanded things that Axl couldn't live with either the only difference is Axl was in control of the GNR name so Slash didn't hang around. If Axl was not in control of the name the band just would have broke up and no one would have the name. Either way they both demanded different things. So you can't blame anyone for what happened.

he could stand up for himself without leaving the band. axl clearly wanted slash in the band so i'm sure he would come to terms with what slash wanted to keep him there.

this is why i blame slash more than axl. not because i believe axl was easy to deal with because Chinese democracy thing showed that he can be highly dysfunctional in personal life and career. slash on the other hand is a normal guy with a good working attitude. all he needed to do was to stick around, take a break, take control of his alcohol problem and try to communicate with axl. we would still have guns n roses. maybe he did the thing that was right for him but he still had as much part as axl in the break up.

he could stand up for himself without leaving the band. axl clearly wanted slash in the band so i'm sure he would come to terms with what slash wanted to keep him there.

this is why i blame slash more than axl. not because i believe axl was easy to deal with because Chinese democracy thing showed that he can be highly dysfunctional in personal life and career. slash on the other hand is a normal guy with a good working attitude. all he needed to do was to stick around, take a break, take control of his alcohol problem and try to communicate with axl. we would still have guns n roses. maybe he did the thing that was right for him but he still had as much part as axl in the break up.

Alcohol was not the problem. Yes now things are much better for Slash that he is sober, but there were too many other differences going on between Slash and Axl to make it work. Slash did take a break and did Snakepit then he was ready to work with Axl again and Izzy was even back for a bit but that still didn't work out so Slash did a second Snakepit record and was still wanted to work with Axl again but at that time Axl wanted Slash to apologize for a bunch of things that he didn't agree with. Axl was willing to work with him again on some kind of level. At least for 3 songs .12 more years have gone by and Axl is still waiting for Slash to apologize.

The problem is Slash was very upset with how things turned out between them and ran his mouth venting and saying a bunch of crap about how Axl fucked up the band. The truth is he should apologize for talking shit about Axl because in the end it was just the fact that they had different ideas for what GNR was going to do next. Axl stayed quiet for a while and built up a lot of anger and blamed Slash for not going along with what Axl's plans were and of corse was upset on how Slash was putting all the blame on Axl and the press was buying it. Slash got over it but Axl is still holding on to it.

We've all been trying to figure out what exactly Slash needs to apologize for. We couldn't ever really come up with a whole lot. Was it Slash saying things about how Axl acquired the band name that Axl sees differently? It seems like the things Axl said later on were far worse than anything Slash said.

We've all been trying to figure out what exactly Slash needs to apologize for. We couldn't ever really come up with a whole lot. Was it Slash saying things about how Axl acquired the band name that Axl sees differently? It seems like the things Axl said later on were far worse than anything Slash said.

Exactly. Slash and Duff in their book mention some things about Axl that pissed them off, but both say that their band members may have their side of the story that is as valid as theirs. They were pretty gentle. There was a topic here specifically created to discuss what Slash has said that is so offensive toward Axl.. and there wasn't much to talk about. I understand well that some things could have been said that Axl didn't appreciate but there is absolutely no need for a public apology.