IF Axl & Slash were to randomly cross paths?

Snowmass

We've all been trying to figure out what exactly Slash needs to apologize for [...]

yes, this would be interesting. the die hards already know that Slash did some bad mouthing....but what was so intense (to Axl), that Axl keeps hating him so much?!? also i think Axl should apologize aswell for at least 2 things:

1. for coming up with the GN'R name rights for him alone (and even dare to continue with the name!!)

2. calling Slash "cancer".

so slash planed to quit and make axl realize he couldn't do it his way then come back? or did he realize he couldn't repeat guns success on his own?

Both

is that part of his problem with slash? i can't see axl responds well to blackmail.

what did axl exactly want slash to apologize for? like he wanted slash saying in an interview that he was wrong about some things or did he want a full detailed apology directed to himself?

The problem is Slash was very upset with how things turned out between them and ran his mouth venting and saying a bunch of crap about how Axl fucked up the band. The truth is he should apologize for talking shit about Axl because in the end it was just the fact that they had different ideas for what GNR was going to do next. Axl stayed quiet for a while and built up a lot of anger and blamed Slash for not going along with what Axl's plans were and of corse was upset on how Slash was putting all the blame on Axl and the press was buying it. Slash got over it but Axl is still holding on to it.

I feel like Slash basically did apologize a couple times (on Letterman, on Piers Morgan) for comments he had made after leaving the band. As close to an apology as he could do without coming across desperate for a reunion, anyway. Do you think he should be more explicit with his apology and say sorry directly to Axl?

The problem is Slash was very upset with how things turned out between them and ran his mouth venting and saying a bunch of crap about how Axl fucked up the band. The truth is he should apologize for talking shit about Axl because in the end it was just the fact that they had different ideas for what GNR was going to do next. Axl stayed quiet for a while and built up a lot of anger and blamed Slash for not going along with what Axl's plans were and of corse was upset on how Slash was putting all the blame on Axl and the press was buying it. Slash got over it but Axl is still holding on to it.

I feel like Slash basically did apologize a couple times (on Letterman, on Piers Morgan) for comments he had made after leaving the band. As close to an apology as he could do without coming across desperate for a reunion, anyway. Do you think he should be more explicit with his apology and say sorry directly to Axl?

Great point. What kind of apology would Axl accept...and what would it mean?

It sounds to me like Axl is really upset to be abandoned by Slash... I think Axl really, really likes Slash and wishes they were still together. The only why for him to handle it without being a complete wreck over losing Slash is to hate him. Just like a divorce.

I've said this before in another thread but I do wonder if Axl really wants an apology anymore. I could see how it is actually a benefit to continue a feud with Slash because it keeps the reunion pressure off his back to some extent. I imagine one of the biggest reasons he doesn't reunite is out of loyalty to his current band, as with the HOF it places them in an awkward predicament. If the label, media and fans got a whiff of a truce with Slash I expect the pressure to reform would increase ten fold.

Great point. What kind of apology would Axl accept...and what would it mean?

I don't really know but its not going to happen. Slash was willing to move on and forget about what ever it was that he was upset about but there is no way he feels that there is something else that he has to apologize for.

It sounds to me like Axl is really upset to be abandoned by Slash... I think Axl really, really likes Slash and wishes they were still together. The only why for him to handle it without being a complete wreck over losing Slash is to hate him. Just like a divorce.

This is a very valid point.

seriously how many people heard that and how many interpret it as it wasn't all axl's fault? axl want people to stop blaming him for the break up and it's not going to happen. slash won't apologize directly and there's axl being late, continuing the band on his own and general acting like an ahole.

I remember years ago watching Slash on tv here in Australia - many years after Slash had left the band. I think it was Letterman? Anyway he was talking about the story where Axl jumped out of the moving car when Slash was driving and all because Slash asked him to be nicer to his Grandmother or something? Anyway I got the feeling at the time watching it that Slash was just talking about a funny story back in the day but Letterman was portraying Axl as a crazy dude. I guess Slash innocently recounting a funny story from the past would easily be misconstrued by Axl as a personal attack as Axl seems to have problems with people being against him. Axl would probably be taking it as an insult that someone is talking about him in public and thinking how disloyal Slash is. Would this seem right Marc? Is that the sort of little thing that Axl would take great offence from?

Axl seems very sensitive to anything like this and I suppose he has major trust issues dating back to his childhood. ???

I remember years ago watching Slash on tv here in Australia - many years after Slash had left the band. I think it was Letterman? Anyway he was talking about the story where Axl jumped out of the moving car when Slash was driving and all because Slash asked him to be nicer to his Grandmother or something? Anyway I got the feeling at the time watching it that Slash was just talking about a funny story back in the day but Letterman was portraying Axl as a crazy dude. I guess Slash innocently recounting a funny story from the past would easily be misconstrued by Axl as a personal attack as Axl seems to have problems with people being against him. Axl would probably be taking it as an insult that someone is talking about him in public and thinking how disloyal Slash is. Would this seem right Marc? Is that the sort of little thing that Axl would take great offence from?

Axl seems very sensitive to anything like this and I suppose he has major trust issues dating back to his childhood. ???

telling that story is actually one of the few times when i think slash crossed the line when talking about axl. i can see anyone being bothered when their former friends talk about their crazy behavior on tv.

telling that story is actually one of the few times when i think slash crossed the line when talking about axl. i can see anyone being bothered when their former friends talk about their crazy behavior on tv.

That is how Axl behaves! Its not some deep dark secret the two had. Thats classic unreasonable Axl behavior. I don't see that at all as a story that he shouldn't have told. We all know Axl is crazy and has problems with being late, etc. We also already know that Axl is an incredible singer and an amazing frontman. Tell the story about him jumping out of the car is basically Slash saying "you guys know he's this crazy, and this how I've always personally known him". Its nothing mean, its actually a funny story that I guess in a way Axl happens to be the butt of. But he made himself the butt of that joke through his actions. If Axl doesn't want people telling stories like that, which are harmless, then don't act that way.

Marc- thanks for your input on this topic thus far. Lets move from random to planned- would Axl entertain a 1 on 1 sit down with Slash or is Axl set on never again speaking with him? Say Slash either publicly or through one another's "people" made an overture to meet (assuming Axl's people passed message along without filtering it) would Axl entertain a meeting to discuss things? Your thoughts please. *and I mean 1 on 1, no lawyers, no Beta, no Pearla....just mano y mano.

Edited by Snowmass

Marc- thanks for your input on this topic thus far. Lets move from random to planned- would Axl entertain a 1 on 1 sit down with Slash or is Axl set on never again speaking with him? Say Slash either publicly or through one another's "people" made an overture to meet (assuming Axl's people passed message along without filtering it) would Axl entertain a meeting to discuss things? Your thoughts please. *and I mean 1 on 1, no lawyers, no Beta, no Pearla....just mano y mano.

I don't think Axl would plan anything that had to do with meeting up with Slash as things stand now.

I don't think he enjoys playing the victim, but I think he feels that he is the victim and doesn't know anyway to deal with it. Do you think he enjoys only having one record out in almost 20 years?

Did Slash try to prevent Axl from trying to put the new GNR lineup together in the late 90s?

No, I think he wanted Axl to put out a record so he could get it out of his system and then be ready to work with Slash again. I think Slash knew that there it would be impossible to replace what they once had together but still wanted Axl to have a chance to get what ever it was that he wanted to do musically off his chest. Just like what Slash already did with Snakepit. in 2007 Slash keep asking me when is Axl going to put out his record?

Do you think he enjoys only having one record out in almost 20 years?

In 2007 Slash keep asking me when is Axl going to put out his record?

I genuinely don't know if Axl enjoys only having one record out. As has been mentioned countless times on the main forum, there are apparently tons of songs for Chinese Democracy, 2 or 3 albums worth apparently at least. At least ONE more album in there that is basically completed. Axl has the ability to release that whenever he wants. If record companies don't want it, which is the rumor that is possibly true or untrue, then Axl could release it by himself over the internet or their official website. Bands DO do that nowadays. Even if he didn't want to just release a few songs because he likes "full albums", he could release a full album online for purchase for $10 and get the material out there. I don't know whether he enjoys only having one record out, but he's certainly got the means to do more and its only his fault that he has one album out. IMO Slash is right that its basically just the attitude of "come on man, just put it out already." I hear a lot of blame on the record companies (from Axl and others) and thats just not really a viable argument in these modern times in the music industry. Marc, do you genuinely think Axl has had no other options to release more than one album in the last 20 years?

No, I think Axl could have put put many records by now. It bothers me that he doesn't. To me its just a waste of great talent. I also think there is too much presser when it comes to using the name GNR. I wish Axl would just put out solo records and work with a lot of different people when it comes to writing them including the members in his band. He could still tour under the GNR name and alsoi play some of the solo stuff. People would be very happy with that. Just my 2 cents. If Axl would call me like he used to that would be my wise advice. If he wouldn't agree, then I would talk him into it.

Edited by recklessroad

i've always thought that carrying the huge GN'R b®and name on one man's shoulders absolutely can't work out fine. it's just too much pressure to handle it alone, that's why Axl should have gone solo in the 1st place. but money and lifestyle have been and still are the main reasons that he drives the GN'R ship more and more to the ground. just sad! and being such an egomaniac control freak as Axl is does work against anything releasewise aswell.

I always got the impression that Axl thought he could top the success of old guns with his new line up and that he expected Slash to come crawling back, a failure without him (Axl). That way he could lord it over Slash and all the power would lie with Axl in the relationship.

Funnily enough, almost the exact opposite happened.

I always got the impression that Axl thought he could top the success of old guns with his new line up and that he expected Slash to come crawling back, a failure without him (Axl). That way he could lord it over Slash and all the power would lie with Axl in the relationship.

Funnily enough, almost the exact opposite happened.

I don't believe this at all... Axl would love to have Slash back... everyone knows this.