Did Axl put keyboards on Paradise City alone?

JONEZY

The tone of the album changes a bit with ‘’Paradise City’’.
We had a manager courting us at that time, and she gave us a ride to San Francisco to play a gig with Jetboy. While heading back in the van, we started writing ‘’Paradise City’’. It started off with those basic chords and then the melody, and I remember writing the words. Originally it was ‘’Take me down to the Paradise City, where the girls are fat and they got big titties’’ [laughs], which are changed into ‘’where the grass is green and the girls are pretty’’.

When was the synthesizer part added to the song?
That didn’t come in until Axl was putting his vocals down on the record, so I had no idea about that until we got to the mixing stage. All of a sudden there was that part. Being the guitar purists that we were, Izzy and I were like, ‘’whoa, whoa, whoa!?’’ But Axl won that battle, so it stayed on there. All things considered, it was never that big of a deal, but it introduced a certain electronic thing that didn’t fit well. Axl had a tendency to do that from time to time – to bring it in on the back end.

Back to the Jungle (Slash Interview - 20th anniversary of AFD) - Guitar Edge

The tone of the album changes a bit with ‘’Paradise City’’.

We had a manager courting us at that time, and she gave us a ride to San Francisco to play a gig with Jetboy. While heading back in the van, we started writing ‘’Paradise City’’. It started off with those basic chords and then the melody, and I remember writing the words. Originally it was ‘’Take me down to the Paradise City, where the girls are fat and they got big titties’’ [laughs], which are changed into ‘’where the grass is green and the girls are pretty’’.

Back to the Jungle (Slash Interview - 20th anniversary of AFD) - Guitar Edge

GN'R played The Stone (with Jet Boy), 28th August 1986.

• 2 weeks later...

Think it really adds to the song and never seemed out of place to me even when I was a huge "guitar purist" in my early teens as we all can be sometimes :P

I don't have a problem with it. The keyboards are only on the song for about 15-20 seconds total. I only asked because I've read that Axl wanted Dizzy in the band pre-Appetite, and he was out-voted. Which leads me to believe that Axl wanted keyboards all along. Axl has 2 keyboardists in his current band.

Anyway, glad there wasn't key's on all the songs on AFD. I probably would never have liked GnR as much.