Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

You know what's funny? I was the opposite. For some reason, when I tried to log my collection on discogs, I found I just didn't keep up with it. Once I switched over to a spreadsheet, I seem to keep up with it better. 

The want list and pricing thing is really cool from discogs though, that's for sure. 

Ha, that's funny we have the opposite experiences with it. I love it because there's an app, so i just have it on my phone and iPad and when I am putting my new records in sleeves and in to their spot on the shelves, I make sure to add them.

15 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Ha, that's funny we have the opposite experiences with it. I love it because there's an app, so i just have it on my phone and iPad and when I am putting my new records in sleeves and in to their spot on the shelves, I make sure to add them.

Oh.... I didn't realize you could use the app like that. The main reason I switched to a spreadsheet was that I could just add it easily on my phone. 

I'm going to download the app and see where I left off adding my collection to the site. It should be fairly easy to scan in everything else. 

On 2020-01-06 at 5:04 AM, Dean said:

Also, debating whether or not to purchase Live Era. I can't see it being re-released on Vinyl any time soon, what do you guys think? The price is ridiculous. 

Unless you can get Live Era for a reasonable price, it might be worth it to wait. I got my copy a few years ago, not sealed but in really good shape, and I think after shipping/taxes/etc it was around $125 USD, maybe a little less. I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it, even though most copies are listed for more than that... but if you really want it and it's affordable, then go for it.

On 02/01/2020 at 3:32 PM, RussTCB said:

I just recently replaced my Bronze stylus and felt the same way. I probably left the old one on top long, but when I swapped out to a replacement it was a pleasant surprise. 

The most cost efficient "machine" out there is the Spin Clean. If you put a little time into it, it'll really work some magic on older, beat up records. 

This is gonna sound odd, but the "wood glue method" really does work too if you've got a record that's really bad. Go to YouTube and search that phrase, you'll see what I mean. Years ago, my wife was using a spray adhesive and spinning records while she was working on a project. She had no idea that the adhesive was wafting after to the records she was spinning. 

They were fairly common records, so it wasn't the end of the world but I figured I'd try the wood glue thing for shits and grins prior to just buying new ones. Surprisingly enough, all 3 sounded good as new when all was said and done. 

This is a solid approach too. There's a lot to be said for micro fiber cloths and a little TLC. 

I splurged and bought a VPI 16.5 years ago. It's been able to help me dig deeper on a few LPs 

However, I really think micro fiber cloths and/or a Spin Clean is more than enough for most people. 

Thanks Mate - I will buy the Spin Clean and give that a try. I’ll let you all know how it goes...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Unless you can get Live Era for a reasonable price, it might be worth it to wait. I got my copy a few years ago, not sealed but in really good shape, and I think after shipping/taxes/etc it was around $125 USD, maybe a little less. I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it, even though most copies are listed for more than that... but if you really want it and it's affordable, then go for it.

The usual price I'm seeing is £300, which according to google is just shy of $400. I've been trying to pick it up sealed for £250, but even then I sort of grudge paying that. Will wait and see what happens. 

Just spotted a sealed Live Era on Japanese site mercari....36,000 yen....

If anyone is really serious I can go about helping purchase it, but obviously you'll have to wire me the money or something first!

https://item.mercari.com/jp/m86097632669/?_s=U2FsdGVkX1-RFSlOkMAeCTqLK3bhkrov_5wNJ6aN0JJW8xoIRWwiNIu3ZZQaiUFPcF2eXi1R0ETPzPbvVRzm7T5KCXcn5WPsgokjdx4mqsIRgY31qSwp7sLOMYxBm-Tq

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ran out to pick up the latest LP by The Lone Bellow first thing this morning. First spin should be in an hour or so. I'm really looking forward to it. 

This afternoon a friend reminded me that Brothers of a Feather (Chris & Rich acoustic from the Crowes glory days) was released on vinyl for the first time today. 

My local store didn't have that one, so I ordered it from Acoustic Sounds. Should be here next week. 

• Like 1

‘Devastating’ Fire Threatens Worldwide Vinyl Record Production

"The blaze engulfed the Apollo Masters manufacturing and storage facility on Thursday in Banning, Calif. While no employees were injured, the fire destroyed the business, which supplied the lacquer discs used in making master discs for vinyl record production.

“There are only two companies that make lacquers in the world – and the other, MDC in Japan, already had trouble keeping up with demand before this development,” Third Man Records co-founder Ben Blackwell told Pitchfork. “From my understanding, this fire will present a problem for the vinyl industry worldwide.”" (...)

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/fire-vinyl-records/

On 2/8/2020 at 7:24 AM, soon said:

‘Devastating’ Fire Threatens Worldwide Vinyl Record Production

"The blaze engulfed the Apollo Masters manufacturing and storage facility on Thursday in Banning, Calif. While no employees were injured, the fire destroyed the business, which supplied the lacquer discs used in making master discs for vinyl record production.

“There are only two companies that make lacquers in the world – and the other, MDC in Japan, already had trouble keeping up with demand before this development,” Third Man Records co-founder Ben Blackwell told Pitchfork. “From my understanding, this fire will present a problem for the vinyl industry worldwide.”" (...)

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/fire-vinyl-records/

Yeah, this sucks. It's just going to drive the price of new records up even further. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

The RSD list is out. I'm only in for 2 records but they're ones I've wanted forever. 

The Black Crowes - Lions 

Various Artists - Sweet Relief 

Those are two HUGE releases for me! 

I'm in for the McCartney reissue, Slave to the Grind and at least one of, if not all of the austin powers soundtracks.

3 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I'm in for the McCartney reissue, Slave to the Grind and at least one of, if not all of the austin powers soundtracks.

Whoa.... I must've missed Slave. I have an original, but I'll pick up that reissue! 

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Whoa.... I must've missed Slave. I have an original, but I'll pick up that reissue! 

Yep, that’s my situation too. And it’s expanded on to two LPs with 4 bonus tracks.

I imagine beggars day is one, and maybe fire in the hole but not sure about the other two.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:07 AM, Stiff Competition said:

What is this RSD list? Is it Record Store Day? I have heard that term but can you explain it to me? And is this an American thing? 

I would love to have Slave to the Grind on record, one day I will stumble across it. 

18 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

What is this RSD list? Is it Record Store Day? I have heard that term but can you explain it to me? And is this an American thing? 

I would love to have Slave to the Grind on record, one day I will stumble across it. 

Yeah, it's the Record Store Day list. It's a world wide thing and it falls on April 18th this year. 

You should be able to get Slave To The Grind easily on that day. 

• Like 1

Yo....Vinylheads........

Can anyone help me?

Record Store Day is coming up....and we have it here in Japan.   BUT....all they have for sale is Japanese SHIT.

I really....really....want the SLINT 12inch that's available on RSD but it's obviously not even an option in my country.   I think it's limited to either 1500 or 2500.....those are not great numbers.

Anyone think they might possibly be willing to try to pick this up for me, and I'll either pay you or trade you something cool?

Any help is immensely appreciated!!

(PS.......Lions is a dope-ass Black Crowes record....lots of awesome tunes....I was lucky enough to see em on that tour co-headlining with Oasis!)

Edited by estrangedtwat
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Yo....Vinylheads........

Can anyone help me?

Record Store Day is coming up....and we have it here in Japan.   BUT....all they have for sale is Japanese SHIT.

I really....really....want the SLINT 12inch that's available on RSD but it's obviously not even an option in my country.   I think it's limited to either 1500 or 2500.....those are not great numbers.

Anyone think they might possibly be willing to try to pick this up for me, and I'll either pay you or trade you something cool?

Any help is immensely appreciated!!

(PS.......Lions is a dope-ass Black Crowes record....lots of awesome tunes....I was lucky enough to see em on that tour co-headlining with Oasis!)

I saw that tour too and I love that album. I'm beyond stoked that it's finally getting a reissue. 

Having said that, I'll be happy to help you out with the record you're looking for. I'm sure you're aware that I can't guarantee anything, but my local store usually gets heavy allocation and I'll be happy to keep an eye out to see if I can get one for you. 

That....would be absolutely capital sir.  I truly appreciate it.   If you want some....uh....really awful looking Japanese shit I can try to get something for you?

But for real, that's awesome of you to try for me...that SLINT record sounds so sexy!!

Edited by estrangedtwat
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

That....would be absolutely capital sir.  I truly appreciate it.   If you want some....uh....really awful looking Japanese shit I can try to get something for you?

But for real, that's awesome of you to try for me...that SLINT record sounds so sexy!!

Haha, no worries. All I ask is that you please remind me again a couple of days ahead of time. I only have the 3 things I want, so it'll be no problem to try to grab that 4th one for you. 

I don't need anything in return, we'll just figure out shipping/payment costs afterwards, assuming I can score one.