Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Some help, is the loss of a left/right speaker channel an indicator that a stylus is getting old? My left speaker stopped working (tried on 2 different lines of my Edifier speakers) when I play records. It works just fine when it is on Bluetooth setting though so I know it isnt the speaker. So I'm thinking it is either the left audio cable (running from turntable to speaker) or the needle. Thoughts?

Edit- it's definitely the needle as I cranked up the volume and heard feedback from both speakers. Cleaned and touched the stylus and only came out the right speaker. Took the cartridge off and pressed all 4 wires in (none seemed loose) and it's working now. Strange...

Edited by Coma16

• 2 weeks later...

Before I moved, my Technics receiver bit the dust so temporarily I just had my turntable running through my Samsung soundbar. Definitely not ideal but it let me listen to my vinyls.

This week I finally got around to setting up my dad's old Pioneer SA-730 receiver. This thing is truly a hidden gem. I've got plenty of good memories cranking tunes through it growing up. I'm still using my Technics tower speakers but the difference in audio quality with the phono input is outstanding.

• Like 2

Record Store Day has been changed again, but I really like the new plan. 

They're breaking up the list into 3 batches. The first batch will be released on August 29th, second batch on September 26th, then the final batch will be out on October 24th. 

The new version of the list with which albums will be released on what days will be out June 1st. 

You folk find when you grab a couple records, the floodgates open temporarily and you're stuck grabbing more and more?

Incoming for me:

A second hand bundle I grabbed off an auction site:

• Lightnin' Sonny & Brownie - 1965 UK
  • Blind Willie Johnson (2013 EU)
  • Hound Dog Taylor and The Houserockers 1971 (reissue)
  • Blind Lemon Jefferson - Black Snake Moan (2004 Germany)
  • Norman Granz - Jam Session #3

All in good condition, and was a cheap purchase (the Hound Dog Taylor one has been on my want list for a while now).

And then,

• Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood
  • Violent Femmes vinyl LP record 1983 (bt7017)
  • Lou Reed - Transformer (1976 RCA Victor Australia) 

All previously owned but well looked after etc.

Hopefully the aforementioned floodgates stay closed for a while.........:shrugs:

On 4/29/2020 at 6:59 AM, RussTCB said:

Record Store Day has been changed again, but I really like the new plan. 

They're breaking up the list into 3 batches. The first batch will be released on August 29th, second batch on September 26th, then the final batch will be out on October 24th. 

The new version of the list with which albums will be released on what days will be out June 1st. 

The thing I don’t like about is that they are letting the stores sell the releases online. In that case, they should send them out now so stores can get money when they need it the most. Let them sell them through curbside pickup, discogs, eBay etc. it’s RSD making it about RSD and not the stores like it’s supposed to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

The thing I don’t like about is that they are letting the stores sell the releases online. In that case, they should send them out now so stores can get money when they need it the most. Let them sell them through curbside pickup, discogs, eBay etc. it’s RSD making it about RSD and not the stores like it’s supposed to be.

Oh, I think I may have missed that part. Yeah, you're right, that doesn't really make sense. How odd that they're allowing online sales. 

42 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

online sales could work for me......i just want that slint album!

When Stiff mentioned the online sales, I actually thought of you. Let me know what you wanna do as the date approaches. I can try to get it in person, or you can grab it online. Whatever works best for you is cool by me. 

• Like 1

On 06/04/2020 at 6:33 AM, luciusfunk said:

Went on a bit of a binge recently. Picked up UYI I/II, The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, Queen’s Greatest Hits II, Romeo Drive by Kevin Max, Led Zeppelin II, Queen’s News of the World, and Destroyer by Kiss. Has to order Kiss online unless I wanted Destroyer Resurrected. 

Lockdown blues, I did the same. Got UYI 1, Zooropa, Pop and Achtung Baby (U2), On the Beach (Neil Young), Melodrama (Lorde), Bays (Fat Freddy's Drop), Wish You Where Here (Floyd), Dummy (Portishead), Seventh Son (Maiden), What's Going on (Gaye) and Music for the Masses (Depeche Mode). 

I need help because I am now browsing some Springsteen and Arctic Monkeys 😭

• Like 1

I’ve bought a few titles online recently...

McCartney/Wings - Red Rose Speedway

The Beatles - Live At the Hollywood Bowl (the new on from the Ron Howard film)

Lady Bird - OST (the music, already had the score)

Good Time - OST

Brendan Benson - Dear Life

Necroscape - Tetema ( another Mike Patton project)

i think thats about it.

Added a bunch of stuff of the last few weeks..

Pearl Jam - Ten

Scorpions - Love at First Sting on white vinyl 

GNR - GNR Lies

Green Day - Dookie on brown Vinyl

The first two Def Leppard albums remastered

Bon Jovi - Crossroads 

Jonas Brothers - Happiness Begins

And today I picked my store’s last copy of Jason Isbell’s new album on orange vinyl. I had never heard much of his stuff but I’ve been meaning to check him out. Man this shit is really good, it’s definitely my album of the year so far

Managed to pick up Terry Reid's Seed of Memory. Great album and plays great. The fella I bought it from said it was scarce and a hard to find record and assumed it was because the label ABC went down the pan the week of it's release. Every day is a school day.

Been spinning a few of my old man's Celtic FC records from the 70's the last few days. They don't make chanters like that anymore!!!

Heres the first 1/4 of one of my newly shuffled bins. I only have space for one milk crate of vinyl near my player, so its somewhat all of my favourites (by artist at least),

Spoiler

Aerosmith

• Toys in the Attic

Beach Boys

• Surfing Safari (stereo reissue)
  • Summer Days and summer nights! 
  • Beach Boys Concert (an actual Capitol/EMI release with that name, haha)
  • Shut Down Vol II

Jeff Beck

• Wired
  • Back to Back
  • With the Jan Hammer Group
  • Beck, Bogert, Appice
  • Jeff Beck and Yardbirds compilation (not sure if authorized, on Metronome Records, Hamburg)

The Doors

• Greatest Hits
  • American Prayer
  • The Doors

Haircut One Hundred

• Pelican West

Nick Heyward

• North of a Miracle 

Jimi Hendrix

• Electric Ladyland
  • Axis Bold As Love

The Kinks

• Misfits
  • Sleepwalker (Best Buy Exclusive!)

Im not sure how to identify what pressing they are? 

4 hours ago, soon said:

Heres the first 1/4 of one of my newly shuffled bins. I only have space for one milk crate of vinyl near my player, so its somewhat all of my favourites (by artist at least),

Hide contents

Aerosmith

• Toys in the Attic

Beach Boys

• Surfing Safari (stereo reissue)
  • Summer Days and summer nights! 
  • Beach Boys Concert (an actual Capitol/EMI release with that name, haha)
  • Shut Down Vol II

Jeff Beck

• Wired
  • Back to Back
  • With the Jan Hammer Group
  • Beck, Bogert, Appice
  • Jeff Beck and Yardbirds compilation (not sure if authorized, on Metronome Records, Hamburg)

The Doors

• Greatest Hits
  • American Prayer
  • The Doors

Haircut One Hundred

• Pelican West

Nick Heyward

• North of a Miracle 

Jimi Hendrix

• Electric Ladyland
  • Axis Bold As Love

The Kinks

• Misfits
  • Sleepwalker (Best Buy Exclusive!)

Im not sure how to identify what pressing they are? 

Nice. You can use the Discogs app to scan the UPC codes and find out which pressings they are. 

• Thanks 1

I've been on a Maiden kick lately and decided to start my Maiden vinyl collection with the Somewhere Back In Time picture disc, which looks stellar. Figured a greatest hits would scratch the itch until my local used vinyl shop is open again and I can likely get original pressings of the studio albums for dirt cheap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James Bond said:

I've been on a Maiden kick lately and decided to start my Maiden vinyl collection with the Somewhere Back In Time picture disc, which looks stellar. Figured a greatest hits would scratch the itch until my local used vinyl shop is open again and I can likely get original pressings of the studio albums for dirt cheap.

Unless your store just sells everything cheap, it’d be cheaper to get reissues for about 20 bucks a pop. Original pressings go for quite a bit these days.

4 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

Unless your store just sells everything cheap, it’d be cheaper to get reissues for about 20 bucks a pop. Original pressings go for quite a bit these days.

It usually is. $10-$15 max for the most part, although I've never checked there for Maiden there to be fair. I'm not opposed to the reissues by any means, but right now the reissues are $30-$40 for the most part in Canada wheres I've gotten many good deals at my local shop over the past couple of years.

On 5/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, RussTCB said:

Nice. You can use the Discogs app to scan the UPC codes and find out which pressings they are. 

Regardless of all the Mod/not mod....I like GNR/I don't like GNR shit....I don't give a crap.   You were always straight with me, so I hope when the time comes we can still work something out for the Slint 12" on record store day!  Take care man!

2 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Regardless of all the Mod/not mod....I like GNR/I don't like GNR shit....I don't give a crap.   You were always straight with me, so I hope when the time comes we can still work something out for the Slint 12" on record store day!  Take care man!

Of course! I can easily put alllllll the GN'R BS aside. Believe it or not, one of my good friends in real life today is a guy that I spent like 5 years in an all out fight with an a GN'R forum haha. 

In any case, yeah, of course I'll help if at all possible. The new version of the RSD list comes out on June 1st. So we'll see what day your record is assigned to and I'll do my best to get it. 

• Like 1