Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Hopefully those posts help out some Coma16, let us know what comes of it.

I'm heading out to the record store to swap out my Mo-Fi pressing of Faith No More-Angel Dust for the MOV pressing. They're letting me swap them evenly which is a pretty good deal. From all the reviews I've read, the MOV edition sounds identical to the Mo-Fi version I already have except it has "Easy" on it which mine doesn't.

I also got on Discogs the other day and bought a whole string of 45s. Good tunes from the 70s, 80s & 90s tend to go over really well on our music nights. We've spent several weeks where we don't even bust out full LPs, we'll just go through boxes of 45s and have a blast.

OH HAPPY DAY!

120s50g.jpg

Is Core a reissue? May have to pick it up - the only STP I've got on vinyl is the self titled.

Yessir and it sounds fucking excellent.

There's a company called "Music On Vinyl" that's been doing re-releases for a while now. Some of their early pressings were OK at best, but a couple years ago they really started to crank out some excellent sounding stuff. I have their pressing of Alice In Chains Unplugged and it sounds fantastic.

They did STP-Purple a couple months ago and I grabbed that too. It sounds unbelievable so I grabbed Core when they issued it a couple weeks back. It seriously recommend both to any fan o STP.

Definitely gotta get both. I think Core is a bit overrated, but Purple is one of my all-time favorite albums. The original pressings go for way more on eBay than I'd pay for anything STP.

Oh I agree on Core. I favor Purple HEAVILY between the two. Even if they'd been re-released in order, I would have picked up Purple first. On the other hand, dropping the needle on Dead And Bloated is a magical experience :)

Hey Russ - are what are your thought on reissues (usually always remastered)? I know for CDs many times they fuck with the sound (loudness wars etc...) but dies anything like that exist with vinyl?

Well now, that's a GIANT can of worms you're opening there haha. This is one of those things where everyone is going to have an opinion and they're going to vary quite a bit. Personally, I like every vinyl remaster I've heard and I have never had a loudness issue that I've had with CDs.

Some examples of stuff I own that's the newest vinyl remaster instead of an original are:

Aerosmith-Pump

B52's-Cosmic Thing

Beach Boys-Pet Sounds

The entire Beatles catalog

Boston-Boston

The Cure-Disintegration

Dr. Dre-The Chronic/Chronic 2001

Faith No More-Angel Dust

INXS-Kick

Michael Jackson-Bad (I own the original and the remaster of this, and the remaster destroys the original)

Live-Throwing Copper

Metallica-Lightning/...And Justice For All/The Black Album

Motley Crue-Shout at the Devil/Theater of Pain/Girls, Girls, Girls/Dr. Feelgood

nine inch nails-Pretty Hate Machine/The Downward Spiral

Pearl Jam-Ten/Vs/Vitalogy

Pink Floyd-DSotM/WYWH/The Wall

Queen-Innuendo

Run DMC-Raising Hell

Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream

Traveling Wilburys-Volume 1/Volume 2

Van Halen-I/1984

I'd say that represents a pretty good cross section of music. In all of those cases, I've either owned or at least heard the original pressing prior to hearing the remaster. In every case the remaster wins out across the board for me and in some cases, like with Michael Jackson-Bad, there's absolutely no contest.

Sweet! I own a few of those remasters (Ten and The Chronic) too.

IN regards to MJ's Bad, you aren't talking about the Picture Disk version are you???

Oh holy shit, NO haha. I actually own 3 pressings of Bad none of which are the picture disk. I have the original which didn't have Leave Me Alone on it. Then I have the single LP, 2010 remaster that includes Leave Me Alone. Lastly, I have the 2012, 3 LP remaster which has the original LP +Leave Me Alone followed by 2 LPs of demos and outtakes. The first LP of the 2012 sounds slightly better than the 2010 remaster and both shit all over the original.

For the record, the only picture disks I own are ones where there was absolutely no other option and I wanted a song anyway. One example of which is Teenagers by My Chemical Romance. Both the album it's from (The Black Parade) and the 45 are only available as pic disks. I wasn't about to waste money of the whole double LP as a pic disk so I caved and bought the 45 since I love that one song much more than anything else on the album.

Picked up Metallica Re-Load yesterday. More or less bought it to fill in hole in my Metallica discography. I was really surprised by how good it sounds though. The others in the this series (the Mo-Fi remasters) have been hit or miss, but they really did a good job with Re-Load.

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed Temple of the Dog as well! A bit pricey but a nice release for sure. Plus a few others:

Telephantasm box set (on sale at Elusive Disc)

King Animal

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Nick Cave Live from KCRW

Skid Row

I thought the TotD was a bit much too, but I'm sure I'll get over it haha. I keep wanting to grab Telephantasm but I always stop because the version of Pretty Noose is live on there and I just love the studio version. Is the Skid Row you bought the new remaster? Curious as to how it sounds, over the OG pressing.

I couldn't resist the Telephantasm box set for $70.

Yeah, the Skid Row is the remaster that was released earlier this year on 180g vinyl. It is the one album I actually don't have yet, since I ordered it from a local store that did not have any copies in stock. It will take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I hope it sounds great. I never did like the sound quality of the album on the CD that I own.

Edited by KBear

I couldn't resist the Telephantasm box set for $70.

Yeah, the Skid Row is the remaster that was released earlier this year on 180g vinyl. It is the one album I actually don't have yet, since I ordered it from a local store that did not have any copies in stock. It will take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I hope it sounds great. I never did like the sound quality of the album on the CD that I own.

Cool. I just listened to my original pressing a couple weeks back and it sounds better than I remember so I'd be interested in your opinion on the 180g version.

I picked up a couple things I've been putting off today:

Duffy-Rockferry

The Heavy-The Glorious Dead

MIA-Arular

MIA-Paper Planes, Homeland Security Remixes

Pearl Jam-Backspacer

Also ordered Beastie Boys-Hello Nasty but it won't be here for another week or so.

I should be receiving most of these for Christmas. The rest I'll be purchasing soon thereafter.

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

D'angelo - Voodoo

Burial - Untrue

Okkervil River - The Stand Ins

Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me

The Antlers - Hospice

The National - Boxer

Panda Bear - Person Pitch

I should be receiving most of these for Christmas. The rest I'll be purchasing soon thereafter.

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

D'angelo - Voodoo

Burial - Untrue

The Antlers - Hospice

The National - Boxer

I'm thinking if getting the AF album but am a little turned off that it is 80 minutes. How is the album? I've only heard that one song.

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

D'angelo - Voodoo

Burial - Untrue

The Antlers - Hospice

The National - Boxer

I'm thinking if getting the AF album but am a little turned off that it is 80 minutes. How is the album? I've only heard that one song.
I think it's terrific.

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

D'angelo - Voodoo

Burial - Untrue

The Antlers - Hospice

The National - Boxer

I think it's terrific.

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

D'angelo - Voodoo

Burial - Untrue

The Antlers - Hospice

The National - Boxer

I think it's terrific.

I have the Reflektor 12" single but haven't picked up the whole album yet. I need to get around to doing that. I put a bunch of odds & ends on my xmas list (Outlast-Speakerbox/Love Below, RATM-Live, Judgement Night OST, etc) on my xmas list. Crossing my fingers that I get a lot of them as it's all stuff I just never get around to buying for myself.

edit:

Just found out The Slim Shady LP was reissued on vinyl so I immediately went to buy it online just now. Grabbed Badmotorfinger from the same seller while I was at it.