Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

I  have been getting into Stones bootleg vinyl lately and picked this beauty up in clear red wax. It is actually the first  1969 Oakland  early show but was recorded by the same people who recorded the infamous   "Liver than You'll Ever Be"  bootleg which was the late show and  that supposedly forced the Stones to release the " Get Yer Ya Ya's Out " album...JMO but I think this show sounds a little better than its famous brother which I have an original pressing of...

possibly because the P.A. blew out so the  concert volume was much lower than normal giving a better balanced recording... you can actually hear the P.A. go out about 4:25 into the opening number JJF where the sound completely drops out for several seconds.....it actually sounds better after the P.A. craps out......from what I read the P.A. issues are what made the tapers decide to release the second show and not this one originally.......It is a recent release and can be found on ebay for reasonable prices and,  as you are not expecting Ya Ya's quality sound,  it is highly recommended for any Stones fan.

R-2688797-1360599266-6990.jpeg.jpg

https://www.dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=2915

Edited by classicrawker

I have been on a bootleg vinyl buying jag lately and got this delivered from an  ebay seller  this past Friday. Looks to be an orginal early 70's pressing and I still need to clean it before playing but visually the vinyl  looks mint with no obvious scratches or marks. The nice thing I am learning about old bootleg vinyl is many of them may not have been played much so you can get them in really nice condition if you are patient. This is an audience recording from the Stones  November 10, 1969  San Diego show recorded by the same bootleggers who recorded he infamous Oakland "Liver than You'll Ever Be" vinyl bootleg. I have this on CD and it is an excellent sounding audience recording so looking forward to giving this a spin..............

Stonedin_San_Diego.jpg

Edited by classicrawker

Continuing my Stones bootlegs jag I just got these two today.......the vinyl on both are very clean with almost no marks and just a little dirty so hope they clean up nicely...

This is a partial SB from on e of the Stones shows at MSG, NYC in 1972. Legend has it it is a rough mix for an aborted live album that someone bought from a Stones associate back stage at a show. I have this on CD and it sound like an official release.

MSG72.jpg

This is another SB recording  from their 1978  Capitol Theater Passiac NJ gig that legend has it the cassette was stolen from the SB at the end of the concert when the Soundman was not looking. It is almost complete except the last song SFM is an audience recording.

Garden_State_78.jpg

4 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

Does anyone here use discos to catalog their collection?

It'd be cool to post links to your collection if you have them public so we can all see what everyone really collects and what not...

Here's mine for anyone who cares...

https://www.discogs.com/user/Rickylovas/collection

Nice collection!...I admire you taking the time to catalog them...My collection is about half the size but I can't see ever taking the time to catalog them

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Nice collection!...I admire you taking the time to catalog them...My collection is about half the size but I can't see ever taking the time to catalog them

It actually didn't take near as long to do it as I had though when I finally gave in a couple years ago. The only stuff that is irritating is like beatles, stones and other bands that have tons of pressings of each album because then you get down to looking at the inner matrix/runout carvings to figure out the exact copy you have.

Latest additions to my old bootleg vinyl collection.

This is a famous old Hendrix bootleg  recorded by the  infamous bootlegger "Rubber Dubber". Legend has it he had his recording equipment in a van outside the venue and  transmitted the concert from a  radio mic inside the venue. I have this on CD and it is a decent sounding audience recording but always wanted a vinyl copy. Considering how old it is it is in nice shape and just needs a good cleaning before playing.....

Hendrix_LA70.jpg

I am a big Cult fan and have this 1989 Stockholm concert on CD so was excited to get it on vinyl.  It is an excellent audience recording

Cult.jpg

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 2

Finally got Welcome To Wherever You Are by INXS on vinyl. Something I've wanted for a while so I'm glad to finally own it. 

I was out of town when the Jack White tri-color 7" came out but a good friend managed to get one for me, so I'm very excited about that!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Finally got Welcome To Wherever You Are by INXS on vinyl. Something I've wanted for a while so I'm glad to finally own it. 

I was out of town when the Jack White tri-color 7" came out but a good friend managed to get one for me, so I'm very excited about that!

Lucky guy! I bit the bullet and bought one on eBay.

9 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

The next big zeppelin reissue is a 4LP set of How the West Was Won. I'm so stoked for this. I was actually just telling a friend a few weeks ago that I wish they'd release this on vinyl. It is one of my favorite live albums ever.

Oh absolutely. I heard about it on Monday night and I'm very excited for it. Glad it's coming fairly soon too. 

• Like 2

Newest Stones Bootleg LP. This is a rare one and always in demand as it is one of the legendary concerts  from the 11/27/1969 MSG, NYC concerts that made up the official "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" album.  Of course this is just an audience recording of part of the first show and doesn't sound as nice as the official  profesional multitrack Ya Ya's album but still a nice bootleg LP none the less.  The vinyl is in EX shape with just paper scuffs.

I have the complete 11/27 show on CD and it is a VG audience recording like this boot so looking forward to giving it a cleaning an a listen......

rolling-stones-stoned-msg.jpg

There is a  NM 2LP 1990 Swingin Pig version of the Infamous 1969 Oakland  "Liver Than You'll Ever Be" concert on eBay which is the complete show except for two songs from other concerts to replace the flawed originals I would love to have but is it a little too expensive for a buy it now. I have never seen another so have 3 days to pull the trigger.......LOL I am jonesing for this LP so it is going to be tough to resist not buying it................

Edited by classicrawker

O.K. here is my latest and last bootleg for a while as I need to take a break from buying stuff

Genesis  1LP Live Montreal University Sports Center April 21, 1974...this is an incomplete FM radio broadcast which, if it is as good as the complete CD bootleg I have, should sound excellent.

Another boot that visually looks in great condition....I am  sucker for Peter Gabriel era Genesis,  and this was only  $15 U.S.,  so looking forward to this one............

Genesis.jpg

Here is the complete show if you are into old Genesis

Edited by classicrawker

On 1/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, Stiff Competition said:

Does anyone here use discos to catalog their collection?

On 1/9/2018 at 4:25 PM, classicrawker said:

I'm somehow missed this conversation earlier. I started keeping track of my collection on Discogs about 5 years ago, then got behind on adding new stuff and never got back to it.

About a year later, I re-did everything in a Google Sheets file which I keep up with much better for some reason. I made 2 tabs; 1 for 10" & 12" records, one for 7" records. I have a column for artist name then a column for album title then a column for whatever notes it needs like "red vinyl, re-issue" or whatever.

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm somehow missed this conversation earlier. I started keeping track of my collection on Discogs about 5 years ago, then got behind on adding new stuff and never got back to it.

About a year later, I re-did everything in a Google Sheets file which I keep up with much better for some reason. I made 2 tabs; 1 for 10" & 12" records, one for 7" records. I have a column for artist name then a column for album title then a column for whatever notes it needs like "red vinyl, re-issue" or whatever.

That sounds like a really good way to do it! Plus it's safer because it's a personal document. If something happened to discogs somehow, I'd lose all the info. I really love that it shows average values though. It makes it so fun!

5 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

That sounds like a really good way to do it! Plus it's safer because it's a personal document. If something happened to discogs somehow, I'd lose all the info. I really love that it shows average values though. It makes it so fun!

The average values thing is something I actually want to stay away from so I'm not tempted to sell something LOL.

Give you an example: I have the limited color vinyl version of Tom Keifer's solo album The Way Life Goes. I paid like $20 for it when it came out and I've had it for years, listening to it every so often. I met Tom again a couple months back and had him sign it. A buddy of mine was digging through my bins a couple weeks back, saw it and was like "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS WORTH?!"

Apparently the version I have goes for like $300+ on Discogs and that's unsigned. I really like the album and I want to have it around but now I have the value stuck in the back of my head so I keep thinking about how much I'd make if I flipped it.

I don't want that kind of pressure :lol:

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The average values thing is something I actually want to stay away from so I'm not tempted to sell something LOL.

Give you an example: I have the limited color vinyl version of Tom Keifer's solo album The Way Life Goes. I paid like $20 for it when it came out and I've had it for years, listening to it every so often. I met Tom again a couple months back and had him sign it. A buddy of mine was digging through my bins a couple weeks back, saw it and was like "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS WORTH?!"

Apparently the version I have goes for like $300+ on Discogs and that's unsigned. I really like the album and I want to have it around but now I have the value stuck in the back of my head so I keep thinking about how much I'd make if I flipped it.

I don't want that kind of pressure :lol:

ha! yeahhh that's happened to me a couple times. Sometimes, I don't mind parting with things but like when I saw my Only Lovers Left Alive OST was worth like 150-200 all of the sudden, I was just super stoked and there's no way I'd part with it.

I finally bought the Beatles Mono box set tonight. 

Im thrilled with it. I had the stereo set a few years ago but sold it because it's only ok, mainly because it was cut from the digital remasters used for the cds. This was cut from the original analog tapes. It sounds beautiful and the packaging reproductions are all spot on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I finally bought the Beatles Mono box set tonight. 

Im thrilled with it. I had the stereo set a few years ago but sold it because it's only ok, mainly because it was cut from the digital remasters used for the cds. This was cut from the original analog tapes. It sounds beautiful and the packaging reproductions are all spot on.

Man oh man, you've made quite the purchase there. Same story with me; bought the stereo box, wasn't impressed, sold it, moved up to the mono set and just adore it.

I still have the stereo reissue of The White Album along with the Mo-Fi pressing of it too but that's because it's my favorite album of theirs. Everything else, I listen to the mono pressings from that set and they sound incredible.

• Like 1