Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

While I was working in Vegas last week I went to my favorite store in the area. I found a beautiful copy of the MoFi pressing of Steely Dan - Aja. I don't love the album myself but I have a friend who's been searching for that pressing for a while now. I grabbed it from him while I was there and I assume he's gonna be really excited. 

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

While I was working in Vegas last week I went to my favorite store in the area. I found a beautiful copy of the MoFi pressing of Steely Dan - Aja. I don't love the album myself but I have a friend who's been searching for that pressing for a while now. I grabbed it from him while I was there and I assume he's gonna be really excited. 

which store is your favorite in vegas?

I've always leaned toward record city but they haven't been as great in recent years. The place farther from the strip, I think it's called moondog is ok too but kind of overpriced.

There is one dude out there that has like anything you can imagine but his prices are ridiculous and he's just an asshole overall.

Do you have a lot of MoFi stuff? I only have two beatles albums (abbey road and let it be). I'd love to dish out the cash for the box set someday.

1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

Picked this up over the weekend. It got surprise dropped on Friday in indie record stores. It has 2 tracks on it from their upcoming album and is hand stamped and hand numbered. Can't wait for their new album.

1563bt5.jpg

That's cool! I have the album pre-ordered but didn't know about the 7".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

which store is your favorite in vegas?

I've always leaned toward record city but they haven't been as great in recent years. The place farther from the strip, I think it's called moondog is ok too but kind of overpriced.

There is one dude out there that has like anything you can imagine but his prices are ridiculous and he's just an asshole overall.

Do you have a lot of MoFi stuff? I only have two beatles albums (abbey road and let it be). I'd love to dish out the cash for the box set someday.

Oh wow, Moondog is my favorite actually. I've only been in there twice, once at the old location and once at the new location. I ended up having good interactions with the owner but I could totally see how he could be an asshole. Last time I was in there he sold me a promo copy of Roger Waters - The Wall Live In Berlin for a great price a couple years back. This time he sold me that Steely Dan Mo-Fi for a very fair price, so I can't complain. Like I said though, I could see how he could easily be an asshole.

As far as Mo-Fi goes; I'm not sure what my exact count is but I do have a lot. I have a good amount of Original Master Recordings as well as at least 3 or 4 Silver Label LPs too. The only Beatles one I have is The White Album but I like it a great deal. The best sounding one I have is probably Frank Sinatra Live At The Sands. It's like you're in the same room while it was being recorded. I've heard really mixed things about the Silver Label LPs but the ones I have sound excellent IMO.

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh wow, Moondog is my favorite actually. I've only been in there twice, once at the old location and once at the new location. I ended up having good interactions with the owner but I could totally see how he could be an asshole. Last time I was in there he sold me a promo copy of Roger Waters - The Wall Live In Berlin for a great price a couple years back. This time he sold me that Steely Dan Mo-Fi for a very fair price, so I can't complain. Like I said though, I could see how he could easily be an asshole.

As far as Mo-Fi goes; I'm not sure what my exact count is but I do have a lot. I have a good amount of Original Master Recordings as well as at least 3 or 4 Silver Label LPs too. The only Beatles one I have is The White Album but I like it a great deal. The best sounding one I have is probably Frank Sinatra Live At The Sands. It's like you're in the same room while it was being recorded. I've heard really mixed things about the Silver Label LPs but the ones I have sound excellent IMO.

Oh, I didn't mean the dude at moondog was an asshole, just thought he was overpriced. I can't remember the name of the place with the asshole running it. It's a little off the strip as well and the guy has like everything, but you would think he has no interest in selling it.

*edit* just looked it up. It's called wax trax...and maybe asshole isn't exactly right but he tries to gouge you for all your worth and acts like your crazy or stupid. I went up with some KISS records and I am very knowledgable on their worth and pricing. I was going to offer him 250-300 for the stack I had. I walked up and before I even could say anything "he's like woah woah, you're holding about a thousand dollars worth of records there!" like what the fuck am i doing with these high priced gems he has. I walked out spending 25 bucks on a russian bootleg of dynasty because he wouldn't budge on anything. It's a shame too because he has probably the best selection you'll see.

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Oh, I didn't mean the dude at moondog was an asshole, just thought he was overpriced. I can't remember the name of the place with the asshole running it. It's a little off the strip as well and the guy has like everything, but you would think he has no interest in selling it.

*edit* just looked it up. It's called wax trax...and maybe asshole isn't exactly right but he tries to gouge you for all your worth and acts like your crazy or stupid. I went up with some KISS records and I am very knowledgable on their worth and pricing. I was going to offer him 250-300 for the stack I had. I walked up and before I even could say anything "he's like woah woah, you're holding about a thousand dollars worth of records there!" like what the fuck am i doing with these high priced gems he has. I walked out spending 25 bucks on a russian bootleg of dynasty because he wouldn't budge on anything. It's a shame too because he has probably the best selection you'll see.

Ahhhh, ok. I mis-read your post. I've never been to Wax Trax but I'll be sure to avoid it now, so thanks for the tip! I'd say from your description that yes, he's an asshole haha.

I can still see how the dude at Moondog could be an asshole too though. I feel like if you don't know what you're talking about, he could get pretty rude really quickly. Having said that, he did cut me a deal on that Waters LP which I've never seen anywhere else before or since. His price for the Steely Dan LP was in line with what I've seen it for in VG condition on Discogs. The jacket is pretty dinged up but the LP itself is in what I would easily rate as M, so I'll take it.

It's not even for me anyway, it's for my buddy lol. However, if I hadn't been destroyed on the slot machines all week I would bought more when I stopped in at Moondog this time. He had a lot of great MoFi stuff as well as some CBS Half Speed Masters I would really have liked to own.

His shop is one of those places that I'll go to whenever I'm out there. Usually I'll spot at least something that I feel like I have to have. I like the new location too although it's MUCH further away from the strip than the old one was. 

Hello everyone, I recently ordered the Locked and Loaded box set with the turntable deal from musicvaultz.com like a few others here on the site. I got the box set but there is a problem getting my turntable to me. Long story short, if they don't send me the turntable I'm going to use the $$$ they refund me to buy another turntable. I am looking at a Project Audio Debut Carbon. I am a vinyl noob and have a few noob questions.

1. I am looking to buy the acrylic platter upgrade at the same time. Would it be worth it to just go ahead and order the Debut carbon Esprit SB which would be another $70 by the time I buy the turntable/platter?

2. I am going to have to buy a cable to connect to my pre-amp. I noticed there are RCAs with a ground wire. Could I use regular (good quality) RCAs, and make my own ground cable, or should I get an RCA with the Ground?

3. I must own both Use Your Illusion albums on vinyl. What are the best sounding copies? I have heard about the back to black re-releases, should I look for those or try to find first pressings?

4. How sturdy are the dust covers? I have 3 cats and as most cat owners know, whenever there is something new with a flat surface in the house cats will try to sit on the new flat surface. Two of my cats are pushing 15-20lbs (they are big boys) and I don't want them to crack the dust cover. 

4 hours ago, Nodnarb901 said:

Hello everyone, I recently ordered the Locked and Loaded box set with the turntable deal from musicvaultz.com like a few others here on the site. I got the box set but there is a problem getting my turntable to me. Long story short, if they don't send me the turntable I'm going to use the $$$ they refund me to buy another turntable. I am looking at a Project Audio Debut Carbon. I am a vinyl noob and have a few noob questions.

1. I am looking to buy the acrylic platter upgrade at the same time. Would it be worth it to just go ahead and order the Debut carbon Esprit SB which would be another $70 by the time I buy the turntable/platter?

2. I am going to have to buy a cable to connect to my pre-amp. I noticed there are RCAs with a ground wire. Could I use regular (good quality) RCAs, and make my own ground cable, or should I get an RCA with the Ground?

3. I must own both Use Your Illusion albums on vinyl. What are the best sounding copies? I have heard about the back to black re-releases, should I look for those or try to find first pressings?

4. How sturdy are the dust covers? I have 3 cats and as most cat owners know, whenever there is something new with a flat surface in the house cats will try to sit on the new flat surface. Two of my cats are pushing 15-20lbs (they are big boys) and I don't want them to crack the dust cover. 

I have the debut carbon esprit and it is a fantastic table. I upgraded the needle to an ortofon 2M blue, but the 2m red that it comes with is a great needle on its own.

Honestly, if you want to really save some cash, I'd go for the Audio Technica ATLP120. It's a great starter table and has a built in preamp so it can hook right in to active speakers. I always recommend that as an entry level turntable.

I had it for years and loved it and then upgraded to the project table a couple years back.

As for the illusions albums, I have original copies and they are great but will set you back some money. As for the different re-issues that will be a better price, maybe @RussTCB can help you on them. I know I've seen this topic come up before. 

Edited by Stiff Competition

2 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I have the debut carbon esprit and it is a fantastic table. I upgraded the needle to an ortofon 2M blue, but the 2m red that it comes with is a great needle on its own.

Honestly, if you want to really save some cash, I'd go for the Audio Technica ATLP120. It's a great starter table and has a built in preamp so it can hook right in to active speakers. I always recommend that as an entry level turntable.

I had it for years and loved it and then upgraded to the project table a couple years back.

As for the illusions albums, I have original copies and they are great but will set you back some money. As for the different re-issues that will be a better price, maybe @RussTCB can help you on them. I know I've seen this topic come up before. 

I've heard the OP UYIs and I happen to own the Back To Black copies. I honestly think either sound fine, so I'd say just go with the newer pressings @Nodnarb901.

Also, I echo Stiff Competitions thoughts on a turntable. The ATLP120 is a great turntable but you really couldn't go wrong with either turntable. 

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've heard the OP UYIs and I happen to own the Back To Black copies. I honestly think either sound fine, so I'd say just go with the newer pressings @Nodnarb901.

Also, I echo Stiff Competitions thoughts on a turntable. The ATLP120 is a great turntable but you really couldn't go wrong with either turntable. 

19 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

Thanks for the help guys. I think to save a few dollars I will look for the back to black Illusion albums.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the debut carbon esprit (in red). I think being able to play 45's by flipping a switch instead of having to remove the platter would be worth the extra $70 in the long run. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nodnarb901 said:

Thanks for the help guys. I think to save a few dollars I will look for the back to black Illusion albums.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the debut carbon esprit (in red). I think being able to play 45's by flipping a switch instead of having to remove the platter would be worth the extra $70 in the long run. 

That really is a bad ass turntable, you'll be pleased!

2 hours ago, Nodnarb901 said:

good choice, I love mine. 

nn09xj.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Another big score for me

IMG-20190118-200231411.jpg

I have 3 different pressings of Bad, because I'm that guy :lol: 

I love my OP because the songs a little more spread out on Side 2 but then I also love the represses because they both have Leave Me Alone at the end of Side 2. 

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I have 3 different pressings of Bad, because I'm that guy :lol: 

I love my OP because the songs a little more spread out on Side 2 but then I also love the represses because they both have Leave Me Alone at the end of Side 2. 

I'm not very fluent with vinyl terms. What do you mean by spread out? Is that a sound thing or like the track listing is different

5 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'm not very fluent with vinyl terms. What do you mean by spread out? Is that a sound thing or like the track listing is different

It's a sound thing. There's less songs on Side 2 of Bad with the original pressings, which is missing Leave Me Alone at the end. 

So with less songs, less grooves are spread out over more space which usually leads to better sound. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Was there a screw up when they were pressing it or was it it a creative decision to leave it off? 

Bad was released at a time when the record companies were still trying to get all music buyers to fully switch over to CD. So Leave Me Alone was only included on the CD to entice people to buy that over vinyl or cassette. 

Leave Me Alone was eventually issued as a single and was added on to the vinyl pressings of Bad from there out. It was done quietly, no big reissue campaign or anything. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I ended up buying a GNR turntable (Pro-Ject audio essential iii) new in box off ebay.

I'm sure I will love the turntable, but by nature I like to tinker/upgrade things. In the future, what would be some worthwhile upgrades to the Essential iii? It already comes with the acrylic platter, would I notice a big difference if I upgraded the cartridge?

On 1/21/2019 at 10:50 AM, RussTCB said:

Bad was released at a time when the record companies were still trying to get all music buyers to fully switch over to CD. So Leave Me Alone was only included on the CD to entice people to buy that over vinyl or cassette. 

Leave Me Alone was eventually issued as a single and was added on to the vinyl pressings of Bad from there out. It was done quietly, no big reissue campaign or anything. 

Didn't know that!! I have an OP (I think) I bought used right before the vinyl boom hit and got it rather cheap. I haven't picked up any of the reissues/remasters because from what I've seen online they are notoriously bad and compressed so OP is the way to go. 

16 minutes ago, hitmanhart408 said:

Didn't know that!! I have an OP (I think) I bought used right before the vinyl boom hit and got it rather cheap. I haven't picked up any of the reissues/remasters because from what I've seen online they are notoriously bad and compressed so OP is the way to go. 

The 3 pressings I have sound pretty awesome. 

I have an OP (actually has the MJ Fan Club sheet inside too), the I have reissue from 2011 that has Leave Me Alone but sounds about as good as the OP. Then I have the 3LP Bad 25 set which has the whole album including Leave Me Alone and sounds every bit as good as my OP. The second and third LPs are all demos, outtakes and rarities so I don't have anything to compare them against. 

At the end of the day, Bad pressings come down to whether or not you want the song Leave Me Alone. Personally, I love that song for many reasons. I also like how it fits in with the flow of the album. I think it makes a MUCH better closer for the album than Smooth Criminal does. If you don't care about that but you just like the song, then you can always get the 7" for the song itself. If you don't care one way or the other about the song, then you're all set :lol: