Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Just upgraded my Project debut carbon whit a brand new Ortofon 2M black pick up, fuck it sounds like a monster now:)

Very nice! I always want to try those Ortofon carts and I never get around to it. In early February I think I'm going to upgrade my AT440MLa to the AT150MLX. After I get it and make sure I'm satisfied with it, I'm going to start looking into trying to find a really good phono stage for around $500 (if that's possible).

Russ: Have you been to HT yet?

No. I ended up getting some other things for now. I'm going to just hold off on the Green Day hits package til I'm in a store and happen to see it.

Awesome day today.

Traded in:

Jeff Beck- Wired, Flash

Aerosmith-Rocks

Elton John-11-20-70

Picked up:

Pearl Jam-Ten (with bonus LP)

Georgia Sattelites-Open All Night

Mötley Crüe-Girls Girls Girls (sealed/stickered 180g rerelease)

4 used records I never listen to to 3 brand new ones that will be getting a lot of play. I'm happy :)

I bought a lot of vinyl in the past year. Pagan/black metal: Kampfar, Burzum, Falkenbach, Heidevolk, Finntroll, Urfaust, Progressive metal: Vulture Industries, 60's - 70's rock: Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, The Who, Neil Young, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash, bands that are influenced by the rocksound of the early 70's: Kadaver, Graveyard and also Flemish and Dutch folk/cabaret such as Boudewijn De Groot, Zjef Vanuytsel, Willem Vermandere,...

Awesome day today.

Traded in:

Jeff Beck- Wired, Flash

Aerosmith-Rocks

Elton John-11-20-70

Picked up:

4 used records I never listen to to 3 brand new ones that will be getting a lot of play. I'm happy :)

I did that recently with an extra pressing of In Utero that I had. Took it up to one of my local stores, traded it in and got 3 new records in return. It was great to trade something I'll never listen to again for 3 LPs I'll listen to quite a bit!

I bought a lot of vinyl in the past year. Pagan/black metal: Kampfar, Burzum, Falkenbach, Heidevolk, Finntroll, Urfaust, Progressive metal: Vulture Industries, 60's - 70's rock: Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, The Who, Neil Young, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash, bands that are influenced by the rocksound of the early 70's: Kadaver, Graveyard and also Flemish and Dutch folk/cabaret such as Boudewijn De Groot, Zjef Vanuytsel, Willem Vermandere,...

Nice to see Cash in there. I have an old hits LP of his as well as American IV, V & VI. Now that they're re-issuing all of the American LPs, I'm going to go back and get I-III.

I ordered a couple things a few weeks ago that showed up today: Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger and Eminem-The Slim Shady LP. I'm very happy with the sound of both.

Awesome day today.

Traded in:

Jeff Beck- Wired, Flash

Aerosmith-Rocks

Elton John-11-20-70

Picked up:

I did that recently with an extra pressing of In Utero that I had. Took it up to one of my local stores, traded it in and got 3 new records in return. It was great to trade something I'll never listen to again for 3 LPs I'll listen to quite a bit!

Nice to see Cash in there. I have an old hits LP of his as well as American IV, V & VI. Now that they're re-issuing all of the American LPs, I'm going to go back and get I-III.

I ordered a couple things a few weeks ago that showed up today: Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger and Eminem-The Slim Shady LP. I'm very happy with the sound of both.

So far i have Folsom Prison blues volume 1, at San Quentin and a couple of weeks ago i bought a bootleg lp of the 1969 Johnny Cash/ Bob Dylan studio session.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that no one can fuck with your taste Russ and I will break into your house, steal your vinyls and sniff your significant other's panties.

Hahaha.... thanks? Speaking of my significant other... she told me last night that she did a "bad job on Christmas this year" and she got a little upset. I asked why and she said that she got me some records she thinks I'd really like but shipping is taking too long and none of them will be here by Christmas. I told her it was totally ok and I wasn't mad at all! She then showed me what she ordered and I came to the realization that I have the BEST wife ever!! She got me pretty much everything on my list:

Beastie Boys-Check Your Head

Judgement Night-Soundtrack

Outkast-Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Rage Against The Machine-Live

YES! That's the last Beastie's LP I need along with some other stuff I keep wanting but just never buy for myself!

Also spent some xmas $$ on Discogs last night and got these 45s:

ajqkur.png

Awesome day today.

Traded in:

Jeff Beck- Wired, Flash

Aerosmith-Rocks

Elton John-11-20-70

Picked up:

So far i have Folsom Prison blues volume 1, at San Quentin and a couple of weeks ago i bought a bootleg lp of the 1969 Johnny Cash/ Bob Dylan studio session.

Folsom and San Quentin are two others I keep meaning to buy. Did you buy the re-issues or are they original? I'm just curious how either sound.

I just wanted to say that no one can fuck with your taste Russ and I will break into your house, steal your vinyls and sniff your significant other's panties.

Hahaha.... thanks? Speaking of my significant other... she told me last night that she did a "bad job on Christmas this year" and she got a little upset. I asked why and she said that she got me some records she thinks I'd really like but shipping is taking too long and none of them will be here by Christmas. I told her it was totally ok and I wasn't mad at all! She then showed me what she ordered and I came to the realization that I have the BEST wife ever!! She got me pretty much everything on my list:

YES! That's the last Beastie's LP I need along with some other stuff I keep wanting but just never buy for myself!

ajqkur.png

Awesome day today.

Traded in:

Jeff Beck- Wired, Flash

Aerosmith-Rocks

Elton John-11-20-70

Picked up:

Folsom and San Quentin are two others I keep meaning to buy. Did you buy the re-issues or are they original? I'm just curious how either sound.

Both lp's are original editions, i bought them at a fleamarket a little while ago.

ajqkur.png

Awesome day today.

Traded in:

Jeff Beck- Wired, Flash

Aerosmith-Rocks

Elton John-11-20-70

Picked up:

Beasties, RATM, Outkast, En Vogue, Bangles and Stevie Wonder. That's it right there boy especially Beasties and the last three.

Both lp's are original editions, i bought them at a fleamarket a little while ago.

Cool. I see them used all the time but always think about waiting to get the reissues. I should probably just grab the originals when I find them in good shape.

Beasties, RATM, Outkast, En Vogue, Bangles and Stevie Wonder. That's it right there boy especially Beasties and the last three.

1744921650_NotSureIfSerious_answer_4_xla

But I would be shocked if I don't end up listening to all of them in the same sitting too haha.

Cool. I see them used all the time but always think about waiting to get the reissues. I should probably just grab the originals when I find them in good shape.

With these kind of albums i only want the originals. I don't care when the sleeve is a bit damaged, it just gives some extra character to the lp.

But I would be shocked if I don't end up listening to all of them in the same sitting too haha.

Why'd you think that? :lol:

UYI I just stopped, I say it everytime but holy shit what an amazing album. I'm not sure wha'ts gonna be next though, UYI II, Chinese, Mellencamp's "Scarecrow" or Taylor Swift's "Red" I'm really leaning towards Red haha. Spin it for Aaron

UYI I & II really, REALLY shine on LP. Chinese is good except for the inner tracks, especially IRS. I only have The Lonesome Jubilee by Mellencamp on vinyl but godddamnit if I don't love Cherry Bomb and Check It Out! A buddy brought Red over a couple months ago and we listened to the whole thing. It was better than I was expecting, but if I'm gonna buy some T. Swizzle on vinyl, it's gonna be the first 3 LPs if and when they become available.

Why'd you think that? :lol:

I have super eclectic taste so I'm never sure if people are serious or poking fun haha.

Russ you and I both seem to have about the same taste in music. Have you heard Snoop Lion's new album? My store has it on vinyl, I'm probably going to get it by the end of the week. It's awesome. Highlight for me is Here Comes The King. I think you might also like this band called The Treatment. Hard rock band, they opened for Crüe in 2012. Check out Shake The Mountain, The Doctor and Winter Sun. If you like those three, you'll love the album

Russ you and I both seem to have about the same taste in music. Have you heard Snoop Lion's new album? My store has it on vinyl, I'm probably going to get it by the end of the week. It's awesome. Highlight for me is Here Comes The King. I think you might also like this band called The Treatment. Hard rock band, they opened for Crüe in 2012. Check out Shake The Mountain, The Doctor and Winter Sun. If you like those three, you'll love the album

I've never been a huge Snoop fan, even his classic stuff. I like his verses on other artists tracks, but I've just never been a big fan of his own stuff. I'll check out that other band, The Treatment, though.

this is my setup

20uxrgj.jpg

Audio Technica LP120 upgraded with an AT120E cartridge.

Audio Engine A5+ Speakers

I also have a super sweet listening chair...

i6js0m.jpg

Very nice! I have a black Expedit that I use as a shelf for my turntable, amplifier and extra supplies (outer & inner sleeves, cleaning brushes, etc). I used the AT120E stylus for a long time then eventually stepped up to the AT440MLa. I cannot tell you how big of a different it is. If you get a chance, I highly recommend trying that stylus.

Looking good Stiff. I have a Denon dp-29f turntable plugged in into a Technics SU-Z11 amplifier. The only thing i need to make my set complete are a set of decent speakers.

Speakers were always the low point of my system too until this summer. I kind of lucked into an excellent pair of Paradigm's that I absolutely LOVE.